By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox is becoming the unsung hero of this generation

JuliusHackebeil said:

I think the "hero-status" of xobox is not unsung at all. As threads like this proof. I see it everywhere, online and with a lot of my friends - everybody seems hyped about xbox right now. But to me, this is soley justified to a certain extent. Like b.c. is super cool to have and game pass is incredible value.
But when it comes to exclusive games, especially first party, i think xbox is almoust the opposite of an unsung hero - they seem to get a free pass with their abysmal output. And I think it is astounding hiw big of a role marketing and announcements play with this.
Sony has their cards close to their chest. We know next to nothing about their releases in 2022 and beyond. Xbox has so many things announced. How many years until all of that is released? Their catalogue is incredible, undeniably so, but all of this is in the future. I really hope they will deliver on all of this, but I want games to play, not to look forward too. This seems like a sentiment a lot of people don't share with me. It seems, as long as people have something to look forward to, all is fine for them.
But what was the launch lineup for series x/s, and what have they released since? Not saying that sony is so much better, but at least there is something here.
When Halo releases, is absolutely great and there is not much noise about it, then I will consider xbox being unsung heros.

^ this.

Alot of xbox fans are very understanding of their platform holder.



Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:

While I wouldn't agree with all your points the Xbox making such a push to show that backwards compatibility is a key feature clearly also had ripple effects onto the PS5 having near complete PS4 compatibility so it's great that they pushed for that for gamers on either the MS or Sony machine.

One thing I would add @smroadkill15 is that (and I'm sorry if this was mentioned already by someone here) while the argument of "you can play all the games on the PC too though" is true in ways, it's also not exactly easy or possible to do it at the same graphical fidelity of the XBSSX looking at Steam hardware surveys shows that a huge number of people gaming on the PC are still rocking Graphics cards like the 1060 or even the now woeful 1050ti as their card of choice, and even if a PC user wants to upgrade their gaming rig right now to something that is 4k capable it's near impossible to get a GPU better than a 730 without paying wildly above the RRP due to cryptomining, so yeah while it is possible if you have a decent gaming PC to play Microsofts software offerings, Hardware surveys suggests the majority of players could not reach Xbox's current levels of graphic settings on their setups and that a graphical upgrade is near impossible without looking to scalpers.

It would actually be a great time for MS to try and win some PC gamers over to their system by maybe trying to get more PC gamers to look at it the other way around, instead of "but you can also play those games on the PC" thinking of it as "sod it... I can't get a GPU that will run these at 4k, I can also play these games on the XBSSX I'll get that instead"

4K is overrated imo and MS also conveniently makes all games work well on Series S. You don't need a high end GPU to enjoy all games at 1080p. Sure there are some RT advantages on the X yet so far there is little where it makes a big difference. So with a 1060, you're perfectly fine for now. And those that care about high fps already game at 144 fps.

Those that weren't play at 4K or 144 fps yet, won't care about switching to a series X to play at 4K or 120fps. Plus you need a high end TV as well to make use of 120fps and VRR. On monitors VRR is much more common and also offer the sweet spot of resolution 1440p.

So no, don't think MS can win any PC gamers over with the Series X. To make full advantage of it, you're still out an expensive console and a much more expensive tv while having to now pay for online gaming and lose access to modding.



I'd say Microsft rather than Xbox 

You can get everything on Windows too



Ganoncrotch said:

While I wouldn't agree with all your points the Xbox making such a push to show that backwards compatibility is a key feature clearly also had ripple effects onto the PS5 having near complete PS4 compatibility so it's great that they pushed for that for gamers on either the MS or Sony machine.

One thing I would add @smroadkill15 is that (and I'm sorry if this was mentioned already by someone here) while the argument of "you can play all the games on the PC too though" is true in ways, it's also not exactly easy or possible to do it at the same graphical fidelity of the XBSSX looking at Steam hardware surveys shows that a huge number of people gaming on the PC are still rocking Graphics cards like the 1060 or even the now woeful 1050ti as their card of choice, and even if a PC user wants to upgrade their gaming rig right now to something that is 4k capable it's near impossible to get a GPU better than a 730 without paying wildly above the RRP due to cryptomining, so yeah while it is possible if you have a decent gaming PC to play Microsofts software offerings, Hardware surveys suggests the majority of players could not reach Xbox's current levels of graphic settings on their setups and that a graphical upgrade is near impossible without looking to scalpers.

It would actually be a great time for MS to try and win some PC gamers over to their system by maybe trying to get more PC gamers to look at it the other way around, instead of "but you can also play those games on the PC" thinking of it as "sod it... I can't get a GPU that will run these at 4k, I can also play these games on the XBSSX I'll get that instead"

I agree with that. I also don't consider, "I can play all the same games on PC" as a negative thing. Xbox is giving costumers options for how and where they want to play their games, and they are the only ones offering that for all their games. If someone doesn't need to buy an XSX to play their latest games or use Game Pass, that is great! But I think many people on gaming forums over estimate how many people actually have a gaming a PC and just because someone has a capable PC, doesn't mean they don't want a console. I've seen as many people with a capable PC say they have or want a XSX than those who choose not to buy one because they have a PC. There is benefit of playing on both PC and XSX especially if someone has Game Pass Ultimate. 



JuliusHackebeil said:

I think the "hero-status" of xobox is not unsung at all. As threads like this proof. I see it everywhere, online and with a lot of my friends - everybody seems hyped about xbox right now. But to me, this is soley justified to a certain extent. Like b.c. is super cool to have and game pass is incredible value.
But when it comes to exclusive games, especially first party, i think xbox is almoust the opposite of an unsung hero - they seem to get a free pass with their abysmal output. And I think it is astounding hiw big of a role marketing and announcements play with this.
Sony has their cards close to their chest. We know next to nothing about their releases in 2022 and beyond. Xbox has so many things announced. How many years until all of that is released? Their catalogue is incredible, undeniably so, but all of this is in the future. I really hope they will deliver on all of this, but I want games to play, not to look forward too. This seems like a sentiment a lot of people don't share with me. It seems, as long as people have something to look forward to, all is fine for them.
But what was the launch lineup for series x/s, and what have they released since? Not saying that sony is so much better, but at least there is something here.
When Halo releases, is absolutely great and there is not much noise about it, then I will consider xbox being unsung heros.

I think the criticism of Xbox's current output of games since launch is definitely warranted and it's why I mentioned it when I made the thread. I would say the only reason Xbox has been getting somewhat of a pass is because Game Pass has pretty much alleviated any issues because anyone who has a XSX really isn't complaining about lack of games to play. There have been releases that might not be new games but new to Xbox like Dragon Quest 11, Yakuza collection, Octopath, Dragon Quest builders 2, MLB The show 21, and all have released on Game Pass. Along with EA Play and numerous other titles, it's honestly overwhelming. I think it's hard for those who don't have the system to fully understand because all they look at are, what exclusive games have come out instead of the full package. 



Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Ganoncrotch said:

While I wouldn't agree with all your points the Xbox making such a push to show that backwards compatibility is a key feature clearly also had ripple effects onto the PS5 having near complete PS4 compatibility so it's great that they pushed for that for gamers on either the MS or Sony machine.

One thing I would add @smroadkill15 is that (and I'm sorry if this was mentioned already by someone here) while the argument of "you can play all the games on the PC too though" is true in ways, it's also not exactly easy or possible to do it at the same graphical fidelity of the XBSSX looking at Steam hardware surveys shows that a huge number of people gaming on the PC are still rocking Graphics cards like the 1060 or even the now woeful 1050ti as their card of choice, and even if a PC user wants to upgrade their gaming rig right now to something that is 4k capable it's near impossible to get a GPU better than a 730 without paying wildly above the RRP due to cryptomining, so yeah while it is possible if you have a decent gaming PC to play Microsofts software offerings, Hardware surveys suggests the majority of players could not reach Xbox's current levels of graphic settings on their setups and that a graphical upgrade is near impossible without looking to scalpers.

It would actually be a great time for MS to try and win some PC gamers over to their system by maybe trying to get more PC gamers to look at it the other way around, instead of "but you can also play those games on the PC" thinking of it as "sod it... I can't get a GPU that will run these at 4k, I can also play these games on the XBSSX I'll get that instead"

4K is overrated imo and MS also conveniently makes all games work well on Series S. You don't need a high end GPU to enjoy all games at 1080p. Sure there are some RT advantages on the X yet so far there is little where it makes a big difference. So with a 1060, you're perfectly fine for now. And those that care about high fps already game at 144 fps.

Those that weren't play at 4K or 144 fps yet, won't care about switching to a series X to play at 4K or 120fps. Plus you need a high end TV as well to make use of 120fps and VRR. On monitors VRR is much more common and also offer the sweet spot of resolution 1440p.

So no, don't think MS can win any PC gamers over with the Series X. To make full advantage of it, you're still out an expensive console and a much more expensive tv while having to now pay for online gaming and lose access to modding.

You can get an xbox SSX and a 49 inch 4k / 120hz LG TV from amazon for around the same cost as a 2014 AMD RX580 and yeah... obviously a Graphics card isn't the only item you need to start PC gaming.

Even a 1060 is hard to get right now, looking to ebay there's auctions on there of them going as far as €500 for single fan versions of the card. But yeah... neither of those cards will really be able to put out games at 4k without major impact on the visual quality / frame rate.

Obviously it's possible to say that "well someone might well have a PC which is just missing only the good GPU but still... then you can't really go down the path of saying that "someone buying a Xbox Series X will need to buy a TV" or has the PCMR resigned to 1080p while consoles will be the 4k pushers now?



Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

AsGryffynn said:

It sucks that I have essentially added them to the "same as Sony, Nintendo, Steam, GOG, Ubisoft, Actiblizzard, Origin/EA" pile. They are doing genuinely good stuff... that I can no longer enjoy: not only that, but I'm officially "deplatformed" when it comes to standard issue gaming. EGS is the only thing remaining on the platter...

It sucks, at least for me. I wish they had done all this back in 2017... back when I could still enjoy the system and they were the real hero for supporting mods in a freaking console. Urgh. I really feel bad now.

Personal choices are fine but should never become so rigid that they effectively lock up your right to respond to change and so become a prison. break free my man .

Last edited by mjk45 - on 08 May 2021

Ganoncrotch said:

You can get an xbox SSX and a 49 inch 4k / 120hz LG TV from amazon for around the same cost as a 2014 AMD RX580 and yeah... obviously a Graphics card isn't the only item you need to start PC gaming.

Even a 1060 is hard to get right now, looking to ebay there's auctions on there of them going as far as €500 for single fan versions of the card. But yeah... neither of those cards will really be able to put out games at 4k without major impact on the visual quality / frame rate.

Obviously it's possible to say that "well someone might well have a PC which is just missing only the good GPU but still... then you can't really go down the path of saying that "someone buying a Xbox Series X will need to buy a TV" or has the PCMR resigned to 1080p while consoles will be the 4k pushers now?

I play on a gaming laptop with a 1060, FS 2020, which will surely run better on a Series X connected to my 4K HDR tv. However, losing the flexibility of playing the PC version simply rules that option out (for me). I rather buy a new laptop with a newer CPU and GPU even though that costs a lot more.



BraLoD said:

I haven't felt less compelled to get an XBOX than I'm now.
Honestly it has zero appeal whatsoever to me.

NEWSFLASH Phil Spencer had reassembled the team that made LoD and kidnapped bought in Shuey to produce both a remake and LoD2 for series X , but is now saddened to announce that on learning that BraLoD won't be onboard he has cancelled all plans, talking to the media he explained that without BraLoD it had become a financial nightmare since they needed to sell at least 1 copy of each to make a profit and the remake was only being made to cover the $5.00 to buy the IP.

meanwhile Sony while denying the quote "give the bloody millstone away", stated that selling LoD made them business gods and the $5.00 price paid only showed that Sony did not need the money and was in fact them helping prop up MS since it was all MS had left in the bank after buying much lesser brands and nothing more, also in no way was any of this related to the despicable rumour that the production costs were to be met by millions paid to MS to take Shuey off their hands.

Late breaking news .. a handcuffed and blindfolded Shuey has just been found dumped on a Brazilian street corner .  



Ganoncrotch said:
SvennoJ said:

4K is overrated imo and MS also conveniently makes all games work well on Series S. You don't need a high end GPU to enjoy all games at 1080p. Sure there are some RT advantages on the X yet so far there is little where it makes a big difference. So with a 1060, you're perfectly fine for now. And those that care about high fps already game at 144 fps.

Those that weren't play at 4K or 144 fps yet, won't care about switching to a series X to play at 4K or 120fps. Plus you need a high end TV as well to make use of 120fps and VRR. On monitors VRR is much more common and also offer the sweet spot of resolution 1440p.

So no, don't think MS can win any PC gamers over with the Series X. To make full advantage of it, you're still out an expensive console and a much more expensive tv while having to now pay for online gaming and lose access to modding.

You can get an xbox SSX and a 49 inch 4k / 120hz LG TV from amazon for around the same cost as a 2014 AMD RX580 and yeah... obviously a Graphics card isn't the only item you need to start PC gaming.

Even a 1060 is hard to get right now, looking to ebay there's auctions on there of them going as far as €500 for single fan versions of the card. But yeah... neither of those cards will really be able to put out games at 4k without major impact on the visual quality / frame rate.

Obviously it's possible to say that "well someone might well have a PC which is just missing only the good GPU but still... then you can't really go down the path of saying that "someone buying a Xbox Series X will need to buy a TV" or has the PCMR resigned to 1080p while consoles will be the 4k pushers now?

It's not exactly easy to get an Xbox SX right now, is it? I'd reckon it is even easier to get a beefy GPU, if you are willing to pay the price. I mean, at least GPUs are somewhat available while it is damn near impossible to find an Xbox SX at stores.

With some looking around, I was able to snatch a RTX 3070 for 800 € a week or two ago. Not exactly cheap, but eh. I sure enjoy dem 20 TF and I can now confirm that DLSS is a great thing.

But anyway, what I am trying to say is that you can't really compare the inflated prices of GPUs to MSRP of consoles right now. Both items are out of stock everywhere and they most likely will continue to do so for the remainder of the year.



Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.