By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Considering only games that are available in both physical and digital form, how high is your share of physical purchases?

Considering only games that are available in both physical and digital form, how high is your share of physical purchases?

100% physical 207 16.68%

80 - 99% physical 375 30.22%

60 - 79% physical 183 14.75%

40 - 59% physical 118 9.51%

20 - 39% physical 83 6.69%

1 - 19% physical 154 12.41%

0% physical 102 8.22%

I don't buy games 19 1.53%

Total:1,241

I went through my digital library and it was a little hard to say which games are also available physically so the numbers might be a little off.
Furthermore I have to add that I sold a few physical games when they either became part of Games with Gold or I replaced them with a digital version when they were for sub €5 in a sale.
On top of that, I accumulated tons of MS reward points over the last 12 months and just recently cashed them in for digital games. Using this "money" I bought 7 digital games (over 10% of my digital library).

Physical X1 games: 82
Digital X1 games: 61
Total: 143
57% physical

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
I picked the 80-99% option which I expect to be the most popular one. On a site like this there have to be a lot enthusiasts who want to have an actual game collection, but there's always the occasional game where you waited on a discount, but then it turns out that the printrun of the game was so low that you could only get used copies at still a high price now. Then you settle for the heavily discounted digital version and there goes your 100% physical dream.

There is also the chance that some smaller title initially released only digital get a physical print later on.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I buy mostly physical if possible, but I am not stubborn and get it digital if it is a lot cheaper, convenient or other advantages. I am also much more inclined to get digital, with no DRM, like with GOG. But with DRM in place, physical games is often the better choice.

For the bonus question: I consider the Xbox Series S as a pure Gamepass-machine. I think Gamepass is a big value, Series S might be a cheap way into that. But maybe I decide not to get Gamepass at all or getting a series X instead to also buy certain games (then as physical if possible).

BTW: I have a graphically weak Linux-PC mostly for programming and web (VGC), that is why Gamepass on PC is no option for me.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

If a game has a physical version, I will never buy the digital version. Digital-only is also more likely to make me skip a game altogether.

0 % in XBOX. I have 150 digital games in this console.
100 % in Nintendo Swicht.
I m going to buy a Xbox Series S because i have a Fat Xbox one, so this will be a good upgrade for the next 2 years.

Around the Network

0% Physical.

The last game I bought on disc or cartridge was BotW in March 2017.

Bonus: I‘ll get the XSX for the power, not for the drive (I don‘t watch DVDs or BluRays on game consoles, they consume way too much compared to a BR player). I would buy the XSS if it was as powerful as the XSX.

Bonus bonus: Next gen will be "all-digital or bust" for everyone. Sony is preparing their fanbase already with the PS5 (the all-digital SKU is slightly less ugly).

I buy physical whenever possible, except for Destiny, because I play that game over the course of years. That means there's not much resale value, and I want the convenience of not having to swap out the disk. I think I bought one other game digital at some point, but I can't remember what it was.

As for buying a digital only console... I haven't done so yet. However, I think there's a good chance that I'll get a Series S at some point to put on a secondary TV, as a supplement to my Series X that will be in my primary gaming space. With Gamepass, and my Destiny playing, a digital XB may make sense for me.

I am planning to start this gen with XB, and will add a PS5 in some time later. Depending on the pricing of the SKUs at the time I decide to buy it, there's a chance that I'll go for the digital-only option. Presumably, this will be a machine for playing Sony exclusives (if it pans out that XBSX is the generally technically superior machine, that'll be my multiplat console). In this case, saving $100 on the front end may be worth it, if I'm only going to buy 10-12 games over the life of the machine. Also, at that point, a couple years into the generation, the early exclusives will be cheap to purchase digitally during sales. So, that eliminates some of the incentive to buy physical.

If I had a choice I would only e er consider a discless version of a console. The sooner physical media dies, the better.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
The sooner physical media dies, the better.

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

80-99 % physical.
The only time I buy digital games are Humble Bundles and it's often only a few of those games that have physical counterparts on PC. Also haven't bought one in quite a while.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat