By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Considering only games that are available in both physical and digital form, how high is your share of physical purchases?

Considering only games that are available in both physical and digital form, how high is your share of physical purchases?

100% physical 207 16.68%

80 - 99% physical 375 30.22%

60 - 79% physical 183 14.75%

40 - 59% physical 118 9.51%

20 - 39% physical 83 6.69%

1 - 19% physical 154 12.41%

0% physical 102 8.22%

I don't buy games 19 1.53%

Total:1,241

I voted 100% physical, although I am about to get snagged on Goose Game and Cadence of Hyrule.  I bought them back when they were digital only, and they are about to release physical versions.  I will probably get the physical version of both at some point though.

I definitely would never buy a digital only console even if that were the only thing on the market.  I'd just go purely into retro gaming instead.  

Around the Network

I'd say around 80% physical. Only buy digital when theres a pretty good sale going on.

GamingRabbit said:
vivster said:
The sooner physical media dies, the better.

It's actually gonna burn less due to less useless plastic in landfills and oceans.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

For me, it really depends on the price. I don't much care too much one way or another, but if I can save 20 or more dollars, that's the one I'm going with. If I see a physical game selling for 20 dollars sealed, I'm not paying 30 dollars for the digital, and vice versa. I never sell any of my games, so that whole thing is never taken into consideration.

Always knowing where my game is, and not having to worry about who has it, or hasn't given it back yet is just as good as the convenience of taking it to a friend's house.

vivster said:
GamingRabbit said:

It's actually gonna burn less due to less useless plastic in landfills and oceans.

Not going to open a barrel here, but your main point is not that physical is "bad" but plastic, am I right?

Then just replace the plastic with something else and we're done. No reason to demonize physical games.

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

Around the Network
GamingRabbit said:
vivster said:

Not going to open a barrel here, but your main point is not that physical is "bad" but plastic, am I right?

Then just replace the plastic with something else and we're done. No reason to demonize physical games.

Then name a material that's not bad for the environment that could be used instead of doing the correct thing and forgo useless plastic altogether.

I have yet to hear a reason in favor of physical games that is not gonna be moot in 10 years or that's already moot. The all digital future will come and the faster people let go the faster we're gonna progress to something better.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

GamingRabbit said:
vivster said:

Air, that's the best replacement for the environment.

20-39% physical would be my guess. I'd have to make a detour to go to a gaming store, digital is so convenient. I can look up a game online, decide I want it and purchase it without leaving my home.

Signature goes here!

This gen will the be last where I buy physical games. Any remaining PS4 games I will buy physically. All Switch Games I will buy physically. Starting with PS5 I will buy only digital games. I'm buying the PS5 with the Ultra Blu Ray disk drive though.

So far this year I have bought 12 games physically and 1 game digitally. I play a lot of digital games through streaming or what gets offered for free monthly through my online subscription though.

Last edited by Signalstar - on 21 September 2020

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

80% physical for consoles as those go on sale more often, sometimes even before launch. Third party games I mainly buy on PC.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850