By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google Stadia conference with pricing, games, and release details set for June 6th at Noon EST/ 9 AM PST

Faelco said:

Exactly. If I understand correctly, each ISP has its own limited bandwidth with the servers. So at first, when the number of users will be low, there shouldn't be any issue. But if it becomes more popular, it might become unplayable on some ISPs.

I know that some French ISPs even announced a partnership with Netflix to have specific dedicated bandwidth, and they're still below 4Mbps for each user...

For the Founder's soft launch period it should be find, 4K should be available during that time.
The launch of free base service is going to be interesting, although I don't think it will be that popular.

Either way I am set for the FullHD resolution thanks to my limited wall space

Shadow1980 said:

If you want to clean the floor, you have two options:

- Purchase a cordless vacuum cleaner.

- Purchase a broom.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

This space is going to be very fun to watch over the next decade.

I like the potential that Stadia has to offer being exclusively Cloud based. This is where I am hoping to see Google really flex when it comes to their exclusives. I would love to see Stadia exclusive Open World games that take advantage of being able to use 2 or 3 or 10 Stadia instances at once, and the Unlimited Storage capacity. Basically, there is no limit besides time and talent when it comes to Stadia exclusives. Although I am not an Online Multiplayer fan, I am also very interested to see where they can go with Stadia Exclusives in this space as well. Having every player running the game from the same server farm sounds like it could offer a very unique experience. Limiting the amount of factors, makes it sound like Stadia could be the ultimate platform for OLMP.

The business model at the moment sounds decent enough, and there is obviously room for more options as time passes. I like that you can actually buy the games, and are not required to have a subscription to play, even if it is lower quality. Logic says that as time passes, both Stadia Pro and Stadia Base quality will improve. In time I will not be surprised to see Stadia Pro move to 8K/60, while Stadia Base moves to 4K/60. As their library grows, I think there is a very good possability of a PS Now/Game Pass like Model being offered for those that just want a constant flow of new games via a subscription rather than buying a life time digital license.

After seeing the event today I went ahead and grabbed the Founder's Bundle and a 2nd Controller. I personally, don't see myself using the service for 3rd party titles. That is still somthing I will play via Windows 10 Store or PlayStation Store. I will likely grab a few to test the service out, as I do with all platforms, but after that it will be all about the exclusives they put on offer.

I know this is not the service people on gaming forms and gaming websites are looking for, but honestly it is not for us. It is a service for people that don't care about consoles, and the idea of being able to play Call of Duty, Fifa, NBA 2K, or Grand Theft Auto on the devices they already own, without the need to drop $300 - $500 on a console will be well recieved.

Googles hardest battle will be showing why people should choose their service over PS Now, xCloud, or any other streaming service that arrives in the coming years. No one is going to stand still in this space, because it is going to grow, and will more than likely be the main way people play Console/PC style games within the next decade. I have little doubt that Sony and Microsoft will both be offering new games via streaming on xCloud and PS Now either by the end of the year, or by the release of PS5 and XB4 at the latest. In the case of their services, I expect both to offer the option to buy the game, and be able to play via both streaming and downloading. That is something that I believe will help them both garner the support of the core gaming community.

Now where I think Google has a great oppertunity to grow Stadia is through the power of Youtube. Almost everyone watching any form of gaming media is doing so through YouTube. Every trailer, for every system goes up on YouTube. When stuff like Cyberpunk 2077, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and Grand Theft Auto 6 have a click here to play now button, that takes people watching on their PC, TV, Tablet, and Smartphone to Stadia, and has them playing in 5 seconds, that is going to be powerful marketing. That is the kind of stuff that is going to pull in the people using XB and PS that see spending even $200 on a console, as a massive burden. They don't care about physical games, input lag, or ownership, they just want the cheapest, and simplist way to play. Stadia will deliver this. That same thing will bring in a lot of people that currently don't play games, simiply because, it is so easy to do, you can basically, accidentally start playing.

Another thing that is going to help Google slip into the market is the end of siloed off OLMP, and as far as I can tell right now, no required Subscription for OLMP. When the casual gamers can still play with their freinds on PSN and XBL via Stadia, that will really help draw people in. If OLMP is indeed free, then that person that only plays COD, or FIFA, or NBA 2K every year, can save $400 not buying a PS5/XB4, and $60 a year for PS+/XBLG, while still being able to play with their freinds. This may be an instance where Google forces the end of OLMP being pushed behind the pay wall.

That wraps up my thoughts on Stadia at the moment. As I opened with, this is going to be a very exciting space to watch going forward. Will Google stay dedicated? Can they grab users from the PS/XB ecosystems? Will the gaming market see a spike in growth due to the ease of access, and massive reduction in cost to play?

I just have to say one last thing. I really hope no one limits themselves from experiences due to stubbornness. It is great to have your own idea of how things should be, but don't let that stop you from enjoying reality. If a Stadia Exclusive is released that looks great to you, play it. Wait until they have a free trial, wait until it is $9.99. Use your PC, TV, Tablet, Phone, and the Conrtoller you already have, but don't restrict yourself from an experience you will enjoy. That goes for all platforms going forward, as these streaming services become an option. You don't have to drop $400, $300, $200, or even $100 on a specific device to play Mario, Halo, or Uncharted anymore. You will be able to grab the game for next to nothing, and play on the devices you already have. It is a great thing. Enjoy life, enjoy gaming, enjoy every opportunity, and put aside prejudice.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Super freaking hyped for this. I have a 250 Mbps connection, and every year or two the speed seems to double. Google is just being smart and getting to the market early.

I haven't looked into all the details yet; do you need a Stadia controller or can you use your own? If you could use your own, the barrier of entry would be just the $10 then, right?

Also, is this expected to sell out? I'm trying to decide if I should pre-order or not. Hopefully the infrastructure is big enough at launch to handle the surge of players.

In nz internet is decent if u have fibre lol. I got the 900mbps dl and 400upload 😂 . Should be able to do 44k easily with stadia 😂

RaptorChrist said:

Super freaking hyped for this. I have a 250 Mbps connection, and every year or two the speed seems to double. Google is just being smart and getting to the market early.

I haven't looked into all the details yet; do you need a Stadia controller or can you use your own? If you could use your own, the barrier of entry would be just the $10 then, right?

Also, is this expected to sell out? I'm trying to decide if I should pre-order or not. Hopefully the infrastructure is big enough at launch to handle the surge of players.

Once it launches for PC etc (early 2020) you can pretty much use any controller you want. There is no barrier of entry to use the "basic" 1080p60 service (also starts in early 2020). You can use that for any game you purchase on Stadia without any additional cost. With the $10 sub you can stream your purchased games in 4k60 and you seem to get some freebies, like Destiny 2 (with all add-ons).

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Interesting proposition ...

In some aspects, it's more appealing than PS Now since you don't have to pay for subscription but in other ways it's less appealing since you have to buy the games. Will also be interested if Stadia 'Base' will have queuing issues like PS Now did ...

Either way, it's a somewhat attractive approach that the customer doesn't need to buy much hardware in the end ...

Amusing to see you having a lukewarm view about Stevia. 

In my case, I might try it one day. On paper, it seems I should be able to play games at 720p, which is more than enough for me, so I shall see. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

RaptorChrist said:

You can use your own controller and they said keyboard and mouse. Also you can get Stadia for free, you pay for the game in question. This might be great for people who only play one or two games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Dante9 said:
In Finland we have no caps, and speeds are very good in urban areas, only some rural areas have DSL or 4G connections that suck.
However, I don't like the idea of this. I like dedicated hardware and I only play single player games, so the whole over the net thing just doesn't sit well with me. Too ethereal and remote. I have gone fully digital with game purchases, but I like to know that the game is sitting on my hard drive and not being broadcast to me from somewhere else with all the lag and uncertainty and whatnot. Nah. This worries me a little, because it undoubtedly is the future of gaming. I hope I can hold on to a physical Playstation for many years to come.

I guess it's like cable TV. You don't want to own everything you watch on cable TV.

So for me, I'm keeping buying physical games when I feel too and buying digital games when I find good prices. Moving forward I may want to stream some games that I just want to taste and don't care about owning.

I guess in the future, physical, digital and streaming will just co-exist.

WolfpackN64 said:
My thoughts on the whole Stadia thing.
Who is this really for?
People who already have gaming pc's or beefy PC's for video editing or other compute-intensive work won't need this, save in the scenario they game a lot on the go.
Console players already have their consoles, and as long as consoles serve a secondary role as physical/digital media boxes, people will keep buying them. So unless they want to take a lot of games on the go, I don't see many people really investing in it.
People who already have large gaming libraries, probably the same as the first group, won't rebuy a lot of their games on Stadia and all major digital platforms give free games from time to time.

So who do I see using this? Mainly people who have something like a thin and light laptop as their chief computer, or PC gamers starting out who can cheap out on hardware by getting Stadia (provided they don't have a large library already). People who game a lot on the go AND have consistent internet speeds (which isn't a given). I don't see all that many casual thin and light notebook users getting invested in AAA games all of the sudden though.

I really wonder who's going to be the main market for this platform. Me? I don't have nor want a Google account (not anymore), so I'm not using it either way.

I see casuals and people on a budget jumping in.

Mnementh said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Nope, and depending on how much that is and which games come to it will be a big factor in how much Stadia is worth. I mean, if I paid for Stadia (just the subscription fee) for 6 years running, I'd have enough money to build the PC I have now (which is now 6 years old). It can't run games at 4K, but it is a PC that can do a lot for me and I can watch Blu-Rays and DVD's on it.

People don't usually calculate that way. Psychological speaking a monthly fee seems more affordable than one big expense once. Yes, that is not rational, but human beings are seldom rational. Also you get Stadia now, not in six years.

Not at all. Some think consoles are too expensive, but after buying some games, you've already paid enough to buy another console.

WolfpackN64 said:
Mnementh said:

People don't usually calculate that way. Psychological speaking a monthly fee seems more affordable than one big expense once. Yes, that is not rational, but human beings are seldom rational. Also you get Stadia now, not in six years.

I know, but since I tend to use my devices for quite a long time (still on a OnePlus One) as a smartphone, I calculate my costs/year beforehand, based on how long I'll think I'll use my devices (and usually I keep them longer then projected).

And if you need a streaming service for everything: Netflix for movies, Spotify for music, Stadia for games (let alone a better internet plan because my datacap would be broken rather rapidly), assuming you don't need a second movie streaming service because Netflix is bleeding content. It all adds up.

And people think I'm mad buying movies and series on Blu-Ray and music on CD's and LP's. I just don't consume THAT much media (movies, series, books, games, music) where getting a subscription service for each one of those would actually save me money. That and I get to keep all content I bought.

I still do that too. I still buy music.

Barkley said:
This pricing model is the best thing they could have done. Outright purchasing games and being able to play them forever without any subscription fee? They've just removed the barrier of entry to next-gen gaming. Of course cloud gaming isn't ready for widespread adoption and probably won't be a major contender to consoles for at least another decade. But in a couple of years when a new game comes out and you have the choice of paying $400 for a new console or just playing it on hardware you already own? If you have a good internet connection that's going to be an enticing offer, and I see it working.

But how Stadia make money without any subscription?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
Barkley said:
This pricing model is the best thing they could have done. Outright purchasing games and being able to play them forever without any subscription fee? They've just removed the barrier of entry to next-gen gaming. Of course cloud gaming isn't ready for widespread adoption and probably won't be a major contender to consoles for at least another decade. But in a couple of years when a new game comes out and you have the choice of paying $400 for a new console or just playing it on hardware you already own? If you have a good internet connection that's going to be an enticing offer, and I see it working.

By being the shop people buy from. Instead of the Netflix of gaming Stadia actually is positioned to be the Steam for people who are not into buying/maintaining HW. Obviously they also want as many people as possible to use the sub, but the best thing for them would be people buying tons of games on their shop and never playing them - like ppl do on Steam.

Lafiel said:
0D0 said:

By being the shop people buy from. Instead of the Netflix of gaming Stadia actually is positioned to be the Steam for people who are not into buying/maintaining HW. Obviously they also want as many people as possible to use the sub, but the best thing for them would be people buying tons of games on their shop and never playing them - like ppl do on Steam.

I see.

Now that you mentioned Steam. I think it could be more a threat to Steam than to consoles.

PC gaming never really bitten the console market and I think it'll be the same regarding Stadia. However, PC gamers now have another option.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?