By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google Stadia conference with pricing, games, and release details set for June 6th at Noon EST/ 9 AM PST

Faelco said:
There is one very important data that most people forget : it's not just about your personal internet speed, but also about the connection between your ISP and the service.

Not sure how it's going to be with Stadia, but you can check the ISP Speed index of Netflix to get an idea. In France in April, the best ISP (optical fiber ISP) had an average of 4, 1Mbps for their Netflix bandwidth...

Or you can always test your speed

https://projectstream.google.com/speedtest

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
TomaTito said:
Faelco said:
There is one very important data that most people forget : it's not just about your personal internet speed, but also about the connection between your ISP and the service.

Not sure how it's going to be with Stadia, but you can check the ISP Speed index of Netflix to get an idea. In France in April, the best ISP (optical fiber ISP) had an average of 4, 1Mbps for their Netflix bandwidth...

Or you can always test your speed

https://projectstream.google.com/speedtest

Nice, but doesn't help at all to see a broad picture of the market, on a longer term. 

Could be "Yeah, I have 50 mbps!", but if it doesn't say anything about the permanent (average) speed, or the speed of the general population. And this kind of statistics is very important for a project like this.

Google has a YouTube ISP Speed project in the US, and not all ISPs are apparently able to guarantee a 720p YT video. In that case, good luck for a game. 

WolfpackN64 said:
My thoughts on the whole Stadia thing.
Who is this really for?
People who already have gaming pc's or beefy PC's for video editing or other compute-intensive work won't need this, save in the scenario they game a lot on the go.
Console players already have their consoles, and as long as consoles serve a secondary role as physical/digital media boxes, people will keep buying them. So unless they want to take a lot of games on the go, I don't see many people really investing in it.
People who already have large gaming libraries, probably the same as the first group, won't rebuy a lot of their games on Stadia and all major digital platforms give free games from time to time.

So who do I see using this? Mainly people who have something like a thin and light laptop as their chief computer, or PC gamers starting out who can cheap out on hardware by getting Stadia (provided they don't have a large library already). People who game a lot on the go AND have consistent internet speeds (which isn't a given). I don't see all that many casual thin and light notebook users getting invested in AAA games all of the sudden though.

I really wonder who's going to be the main market for this platform. Me? I don't have nor want a Google account (not anymore), so I'm not using it either way.

People who currently don't or seldom play games, as this is too time consuming on their normal life and who therefore don't want to bind themself to hardware dedicated to that (that includes a gaming PC). Also people who play only one game (FIFA, COD) and don't see the need to buy hardware additionally to their game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Who is this really for?
People who already have gaming pc's or beefy PC's for video editing or other compute-intensive work won't need this, save in the scenario they game a lot on the go.
Console players already have their consoles, and as long as consoles serve a secondary role as physical/digital media boxes, people will keep buying them. So unless they want to take a lot of games on the go, I don't see many people really investing in it.
People who already have large gaming libraries, probably the same as the first group, won't rebuy a lot of their games on Stadia and all major digital platforms give free games from time to time.

So who do I see using this? Mainly people who have something like a thin and light laptop as their chief computer, or PC gamers starting out who can cheap out on hardware by getting Stadia (provided they don't have a large library already). People who game a lot on the go AND have consistent internet speeds (which isn't a given). I don't see all that many casual thin and light notebook users getting invested in AAA games all of the sudden though.

I really wonder who's going to be the main market for this platform. Me? I don't have nor want a Google account (not anymore), so I'm not using it either way.

People who currently don't or seldom play games, as this is too time consuming on their normal life and who therefore don't want to bind themself to hardware dedicated to that (that includes a gaming PC). Also people who play only one game (FIFA, COD) and don't see the need to buy hardware additionally to their game.

I wonder how Google is expecting to make much money of Stadia that way. People that only buy COD and FIFA are probably en masse going to go for the free tier. People buying one, two or even three games every year on the free tier are going to cost Google money in running costs.

WolfpackN64 said:
Who is this really for?

I think it's for those who only played on their phones until then because dedicated hardware for gaming felt too expensive or not worth it for them.

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
Mnementh said:

I wonder how Google is expecting to make much money of Stadia that way. People that only buy COD and FIFA are probably en masse going to go for the free tier. People buying one, two or even three games every year on the free tier are going to cost Google money in running costs.

Not sure about that. I am sure Google and the gaming companies have a deal on how much of the money goes to Stadia, how much to the game devs. Still, heavy users on one or two games might use the service a lot and pay only once. I really don't know. We still don't know how much the games cost, don't we?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Bofferbrauer2 said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Who is this really for?

I think it's for those who only played on their phones until then because dedicated hardware for gaming felt too expensive or not worth it for them.

Playing Assassins Creed on your phone with a controller is going to be a subpar experience.

Mnementh said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Not sure about that. I am sure Google and the gaming companies have a deal on how much of the money goes to Stadia, how much to the game devs. Still, heavy users on one or two games might use the service a lot and pay only once. I really don't know. We still don't know how much the games cost, don't we?

Nope, and depending on how much that is and which games come to it will be a big factor in how much Stadia is worth. I mean, if I paid for Stadia (just the subscription fee) for 6 years running, I'd have enough money to build the PC I have now (which is now 6 years old). It can't run games at 4K, but it is a PC that can do a lot for me and I can watch Blu-Rays and DVD's on it.

WolfpackN64 said:
Mnementh said:

Nope, and depending on how much that is and which games come to it will be a big factor in how much Stadia is worth. I mean, if I paid for Stadia (just the subscription fee) for 6 years running, I'd have enough money to build the PC I have now (which is now 6 years old). It can't run games at 4K, but it is a PC that can do a lot for me and I can watch Blu-Rays and DVD's on it.

People don't usually calculate that way. Psychological speaking a monthly fee seems more affordable than one big expense once. Yes, that is not rational, but human beings are seldom rational. Also you get Stadia now, not in six years.

WolfpackN64 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Playing Assassins Creed on your phone with a controller is going to be a subpar experience.

We know that. But do you really think all those who never played on a console or PC know that, too?

They'll probably rage about broken controls or it being a shotty game due to those controls then understand that it plays much better with a controller or keyboard/mouse combo.