By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google Stadia conference with pricing, games, and release details set for June 6th at Noon EST/ 9 AM PST

Mnementh said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Nope, and depending on how much that is and which games come to it will be a big factor in how much Stadia is worth. I mean, if I paid for Stadia (just the subscription fee) for 6 years running, I'd have enough money to build the PC I have now (which is now 6 years old). It can't run games at 4K, but it is a PC that can do a lot for me and I can watch Blu-Rays and DVD's on it.

People don't usually calculate that way. Psychological speaking a monthly fee seems more affordable than one big expense once. Yes, that is not rational, but human beings are seldom rational. Also you get Stadia now, not in six years.

I know, but since I tend to use my devices for quite a long time (still on a OnePlus One) as a smartphone, I calculate my costs/year beforehand, based on how long I'll think I'll use my devices (and usually I keep them longer then projected).

And if you need a streaming service for everything: Netflix for movies, Spotify for music, Stadia for games (let alone a better internet plan because my datacap would be broken rather rapidly), assuming you don't need a second movie streaming service because Netflix is bleeding content. It all adds up.

And people think I'm mad buying movies and series on Blu-Ray and music on CD's and LP's. I just don't consume THAT much media (movies, series, books, games, music) where getting a subscription service for each one of those would actually save me money. That and I get to keep all content I bought.

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
Mnementh said:

People don't usually calculate that way. Psychological speaking a monthly fee seems more affordable than one big expense once. Yes, that is not rational, but human beings are seldom rational. Also you get Stadia now, not in six years.

I know, but since I tend to use my devices for quite a long time (still on a OnePlus One) as a smartphone, I calculate my costs/year beforehand, based on how long I'll think I'll use my devices (and usually I keep them longer then projected).

And if you need a streaming service for everything: Netflix for movies, Spotify for music, Stadia for games (let alone a better internet plan because my datacap would be broken rather rapidly), assuming you don't need a second movie streaming service because Netflix is bleeding content. It all adds up.

And people think I'm mad buying movies and series on Blu-Ray and music on CD's and LP's. I just don't consume THAT much media (movies, series, books, games, music) where getting a subscription service for each one of those would actually save me money. That and I get to keep all content I bought.

Yes, all true, but not the majority of people. That is why I see the possibility for Stadia to succeed.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

This pricing model is the best thing they could have done. Outright purchasing games and being able to play them forever without any subscription fee? They've just removed the barrier of entry to next-gen gaming. Of course cloud gaming isn't ready for widespread adoption and probably won't be a major contender to consoles for at least another decade. But in a couple of years when a new game comes out and you have the choice of paying $400 for a new console or just playing it on hardware you already own? If you have a good internet connection that's going to be an enticing offer, and I see it working.

WolfpackN64 said:
Who is this really for?

I really wonder who's going to be the main market for this platform.

An interesting twist would be if Nintendo would make a deal to allow Stadia on its platform.
They have a few streaming games in Japan, and with with this service it would be worldwide.

Or maybe Nintendo is already in bed with Microsoft and they got xCloud next in line.

Faelco said:

Nice, but doesn't help at all to see a broad picture of the market, on a longer term. 

Could be "Yeah, I have 50 mbps!", but if it doesn't say anything about the permanent (average) speed, or the speed of the general population. And this kind of statistics is very important for a project like this.

Google has a YouTube ISP Speed project in the US, and not all ISPs are apparently able to guarantee a 720p YT video. In that case, good luck for a game. 

I meant individually, but I see what you mean, that ISP speed index site is quite telling.

https://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/country/netherlands/

Average Joe will be getting 720p30 if he's lucky.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 07 June 2019

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Wow! 10$ a month to have the right to buy streaming right of a software.

Around the Network
TomaTito said:

Faelco said:

Nice, but doesn't help at all to see a broad picture of the market, on a longer term. 

Could be "Yeah, I have 50 mbps!", but if it doesn't say anything about the permanent (average) speed, or the speed of the general population. And this kind of statistics is very important for a project like this.

Google has a YouTube ISP Speed project in the US, and not all ISPs are apparently able to guarantee a 720p YT video. In that case, good luck for a game. 

I meant individually, but I see what you mean, that ISP speed index site is quite telling.

https://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/country/netherlands/

Average Joe will be getting 720p30 if he's lucky.

Exactly. If I understand correctly, each ISP has its own limited bandwidth with the servers. So at first, when the number of users will be low, there shouldn't be any issue. But if it becomes more popular, it might become unplayable on some ISPs.

I know that some French ISPs even announced a partnership with Netflix to have specific dedicated bandwidth, and they're still below 4Mbps for each user...

haxxiy said:

So, you have to buy the games? Like the poster above, I was expecting something more like Netflix, even if somewhat more expensive.

Not sure if this is worth even for the "free" 1080p gaming. It might do for someone on a pinch, but anyone would be better off spending less than $150 for a GPU able to do the same with far less input latency and internet use.

shikamaru317 said:
haxxiy said:

So, you have to buy the games? Like the poster above, I was expecting something more like Netflix, even if somewhat more expensive.

Not sure if this is worth even for the "free" 1080p gaming. It might do for someone on a pinch, but anyone would be better off spending less than $150 for a GPU able to do the same with far less input latency and internet use.

A 10.7 tflop GPU currently costs alot more than $150. Google Stadia server blades each have a 10.7 tflop AMD GPU. 

That's what I was about to ask. In terms of signing up Stadia or going out to pick up PC gaming parts, what does end up being cheaper?

Cerebralbore101 said:
The Fury said:

It's like PS Now doesn't exist.

Isn't PS Now mostly PS2 and PS3 games though? Also, isn't the resolution just 720 at 30 FPS? And isn't Sony's way behind Google in terms of being able to supply a good streaming service?  

PS has a plan for that. Things will change with PS5. The console market is all ready for streaming: Sony and Microsoft. I bet all the devs now already know how the streaming market will work on all platforms in the near future. Sony is ready for this.

BraLoD said:
Yeah, still zero interest on it.
Buying games to play it with stream delay and being always dependant on a good internet connection...
I'd rather keep buying my consoles, owning physically all games I want and being able to play them without ever caring about the internet.
Stadia is not coming to take anyone's place.

Yes, I wouldn't move on from my console to that. It doesn't make sense to me. Unless they have some killer content to roll out.

Azelover said:

I hope I don't eat my words, but this kinda reminded me of the Wii U.

Multiplatform games that are availabe already on other systems. The Wii U even had some exclusives day one. What is Google REALLY offering here? I'm gonna be crazy if I'm wrong, but this Stadia thing looks like a total train wreck.

They're testing the waters. I bet they'll have a couple of exclusives for next year. The difference between stadia and Wii U is that the service is fully online, it's not a device that you may buy and forget. They have the advantage of getting flexible depending on market reaction.

But I get your point. I don't see any killer content that would make me sign up.

VAMatt said:
I'll likely give it a shot when the non-subscription option hits. But, I can't see myself paying $130 for the privilege of then paying $10 per month to maintain the further privilege of paying full price for games.

If they end up with a nice catalogue of current gen, AA and AAA games included in the subscription price, I may bite. But, right now, the only advantage I see to Stadia is the ability to play when away from my console. But, until 5G allows mobile play, I just don't see myself being able to make use of that feature often enough to justify a subscription, much less the $130 for a controller and dongle that I don't need.

If next year you will be able to skip the $130 and sign up for $10 and buy a $60 game to play on Chrome browser, then you may have a reasonable deal. Particularly those who don't want to invest on a console/pc upfront.

Soundwave said:
Old fashioned enthusiasts will likely be the least likely to understand why and how this will eventually be successfully, just like a lot of them still can't understand how/why smartphone gaming is the most played type of video games on the planet.

I don't know if Google will be the top provider, my bet is Microsoft is the one that is going to really take this concept and lead with it, but Google is no doubt a force that will be pushing Microsoft to offer the best possible streaming service they can and to do so in the here and now not "well maybe 3 years down the line".

Both PS and Xbox still have the advantage. Because for them, they just have to add the streaming service to their platforms while Google is coming out with streaming only and with a very limited lib.

Kai_Mao said:
Jranation said:

You guys dont have unlimited data? 

I wonder how many people around the world have unlimited data plans..

Especially if some unlimited data plans are not EXACTLY unlimited...

Exactly. It seems to me that the rural world is excluded from this deal.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Shadow1980 said:
CuCabeludo said:

1 - It won't fail, if Sony, with a much lower datacenter infrastructure capability compared to Google's, managed to get 700 thousand subscribers for their PSNow streaming service, Google has potential to go beyond that.

2 - If electricity goes out, you can't play your local games either. This fear of having a temporary internet shut down is as baseless as fearing a temporary blackout.

1) 700k out of an install base of over 90M is less than 1% of all PS4 owners. Let me know when it reaches double digits.

2) That's a bogus argument and you know it. Remember this?

That's former Microsoft employee Adam Orth. Six years ago he was rightfully raked over the coals for making making that very argument in response to complaints over the Xbox One always-online fiasco (and in a needlessly obtuse and manner; that quote in the image was one of the least obtuse things he said). But the "electricity argument" was wrong then, and it's wrong now. Every machine necessarily requires a power source to function, including electronics like game consoles and PCs. That's simple physics. However, a persistent online connection is absolutely not a necessary thing for a game system to function. Every major console to date has not required an internet connection to function. I can disconnect my PS4, XBO, and Switch from the internet and I'll still be able to play all my games (I do not own any always-online "live service" or multiplayer-only titles). They don't require the internet to function any more than my NES does.

But remember: PSNow is just Ps2-Ps3 games and limited to 720P-30FPS. Both google and ms will offer superior platforms that can run today's and next gen games up to 4k 60FPS.

Shadow1980 said:
CuCabeludo said:

But remember: PSNow is just Ps2-Ps3 games and limited to 720P-30FPS. Both google and ms will offer superior platforms that can run today's and next gen games up to 4k 60FPS.

And?

How does that negate my point about the drawbacks of streaming?

Mobile users don't care, there is a huge public out there that have good internet, don't give a shit about consoles nor putting game boxes to take dust on their shelves, but play a lot on their mobile devices. Over the coming years those platforms will attract this type mobile device users 

jenpol said:
Wow! 10$ a month to have the right to buy streaming right of a software.

You can buy any game from the Stadia-store and stream it at 1080p60 without any additional cost - that's called "Stadia basic" and only needs a free Stadia account. If you subscribe to "Stadia Pro" you can stream the games you purchased from the Stadia-store at 4k60 and get access to some additional stuff (right now only Destiny 2 with all add-ons is announced to be part of this).