By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google Stadia conference with pricing, games, and release details set for June 6th at Noon EST/ 9 AM PST

I'll wait for the 1080p free subscription and use it with my old OG Chromecast

Not sure the price the licenses will have, but will likely wait for deals.
First it would be nice to try the service and see how it works.

Hope you can return a license whenever you feel like it.
Not only if you don't like the title, like after 3 hours of game time,
say like 3 months down the line, if you could sell it back to Google.

The selling back is something I've wanted on the digital stores.
If they want a digital future, they must find a way to return the licenses!

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
TomaTito said:

I'll wait for the 1080p free subscription and use it with my old OG Chromecast

Not sure the price the licenses will have, but will likely wait for deals.
First it would be nice to try the service and see how it works.

Hope you can return a license whenever you feel like it.
Not only if you don't like the title, like after 3 hours of game time,
say like 3 months down the line, if you could sell it back to Google.

The selling back is something I've wanted on the digital stores.
If they want a digital future, they must find a way to return the licenses!

I very much doubt they'd buy the license back, but atleast european courts ruled that digital goods can be resold, so you should be able to sell the account to someone else. Ofcourse to make full use of that you'd need to create a new account for every game you want to buy on Stadia which would be a hassle and Google might block you from doing that after a while.

Lafiel said:

I very much doubt they'd buy the license back, but atleast european courts ruled that digital goods can be resold, so you should be able to sell the account to someone else. Ofcourse to make full use of that you'd need to create a new account for every game you want to buy on Stadia which would be a hassle and Google might block you from doing that after a while.

They'll have to sometime in the future, all of them: Apple, Google, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Steam, etc.

I saw websites that sell games by selling accounts, thought it was shady stuff, guess it is legal after all!

Last edited by TomaTito - on 07 June 2019

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Spindel said:
Lol

People go ”4K 60 fps streaming blah blah blah”, don’t seem to realize ping times, compression both delay and artifacts and decoding latency is a thing.

You forgot to mention bandwidths, potential data caps, and the price of it, especially with the paid version.

For a stable 4k60 you'll need either Fiber or LTE, and those don't come cheap yet. And if you got a data cap, it's gonna get consumed in an instant. HVEC and AV1 (an open source successor to VP9) list for Level 5.1 (which is 4k60... or 1080p at 256 fps!) 40Mbit main and 160Mbit high, and VP9, which is probably used since that one comes from Google (unless they choose the newer AV1), lists 120 Mbit/s. Very few have such fast Internet, or even have the possibility to have such fast internet in a non-metered connection.

By contrast, 1080P/60 (Level 4.1) only requires 20-50 (HVEC, AV1) or 40 Mbit (VP9), which is still quite high, but much more manageable.

shikamaru317 said:
0D0 said:
Is it available world wide?

14 countries later this year, more being added in 2020 and beyond. These are the 2019 countries:

Sucks for in Luxembourg then. Seriously, all our neighbors are getting it but not Luxembourg? Or did they just forgot about the country, as usual on the internet?

(For those who don't know, some Luxembourgers filed a complaint to Facebook because they could in theory talk like Pirates or in Klingon, but Luxembourgish was not supported. And to this day, Luxembourgish is marked as an error in Chrome... despite Google Translate now has it as an option.)

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Sucks for in Luxembourg then. Seriously, all our neighbors are getting it but not Luxembourg?

live reactions from Luxembourg:

My thoughts on the whole Stadia thing.
Who is this really for?
People who already have gaming pc's or beefy PC's for video editing or other compute-intensive work won't need this, save in the scenario they game a lot on the go.
Console players already have their consoles, and as long as consoles serve a secondary role as physical/digital media boxes, people will keep buying them. So unless they want to take a lot of games on the go, I don't see many people really investing in it.
People who already have large gaming libraries, probably the same as the first group, won't rebuy a lot of their games on Stadia and all major digital platforms give free games from time to time.

So who do I see using this? Mainly people who have something like a thin and light laptop as their chief computer, or PC gamers starting out who can cheap out on hardware by getting Stadia (provided they don't have a large library already). People who game a lot on the go AND have consistent internet speeds (which isn't a given). I don't see all that many casual thin and light notebook users getting invested in AAA games all of the sudden though.

I really wonder who's going to be the main market for this platform. Me? I don't have nor want a Google account (not anymore), so I'm not using it either way.

There is one very important data that most people forget : it's not just about your personal internet speed, but also about the connection between your ISP and the service.

Not sure how it's going to be with Stadia, but you can check the ISP Speed index of Netflix to get an idea. In France in April, the best ISP (optical fiber ISP) had an average of 4, 1Mbps for their Netflix bandwidth...

WolfpackN64 said:
Who is this really for?
People who already have gaming pc's or beefy PC's for video editing or other compute-intensive work won't need this, save in the scenario they game a lot on the go.
Console players already have their consoles, and as long as consoles serve a secondary role as physical/digital media boxes, people will keep buying them. So unless they want to take a lot of games on the go, I don't see many people really investing in it.
People who already have large gaming libraries, probably the same as the first group, won't rebuy a lot of their games on Stadia and all major digital platforms give free games from time to time.

So who do I see using this? Mainly people who have something like a thin and light laptop as their chief computer, or PC gamers starting out who can cheap out on hardware by getting Stadia (provided they don't have a large library already). People who game a lot on the go AND have consistent internet speeds (which isn't a given). I don't see all that many casual thin and light notebook users getting invested in AAA games all of the sudden though.

I really wonder who's going to be the main market for this platform. Me? I don't have nor want a Google account (not anymore), so I'm not using it either way.

Personally I'm a console gamer and would love to play AAA PC specific games (RTS, Simulations etc) on the service, like Anno 1800. No way I'm shelling out hundreds of € just to play a handful of games (at most).

Lafiel said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Who is this really for?

Personally I'm a console gamer and would love to play AAA PC specific games (RTS, Simulations etc) on the service, like Anno 1800. No way I'm shelling out hundreds of € just to play a handful of games (at most).

I understand, but you'll be at the mercy of what games will be offered on the service and given Google's track record with maintaining platforms, you can't be sure your games won't one day dissapear.

And even then, in your case you'd probably be better off with the free tier.