By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google Stadia conference with pricing, games, and release details set for June 6th at Noon EST/ 9 AM PST

Libi said:

10€/month to play at 4k/60 and 5.1 sound and also buy the game, and then pray for my internet to work. No thanks.

I can get ps plus for less than 2.5€/month, buy a new game for less than 35 or buy a game and sell it or trade with a friend, and play with no internet.

Im waiting for ps5.

Likewise.  I just don't see this being a success when you have to pay for the service AND the games.  I guess they may be rotating a game every so often to play without purchase.  But, how often will they do so?  And do you keep access to the previous games?  Really, a service more like PS Now would have been better.  Sure, it would have been more expensive, but it would be more appealing with the price of the service and games included.

Someone also brought up a good point.  What if you get blocked by Google for being "toxic?"  Then you could lose everything.  I'm pretty sure you would have to be a complete asshole on XBL/PSN to be banned, but if you were, you would still have all of your games.  Will Google completely block your access to your games if they find you and your opinions unacceptable?

Around the Network

That was probably the most underwhelming console reveal in recent memory. Not a dumpster fire like the PS3 and Xbox One reveals, just, meh. The current catalogue is hardly exhaustive, and few exclusives. So for players that are already committed to the PS5 or Xbox One 2, what's the incentive to either get the Stadia in addition to their preferred system of choice, or as a replacement?

Old fashioned enthusiasts will likely be the least likely to understand why and how this will eventually be successfully, just like a lot of them still can't understand how/why smartphone gaming is the most played type of video games on the planet.

I don't know if Google will be the top provider, my bet is Microsoft is the one that is going to really take this concept and lead with it, but Google is no doubt a force that will be pushing Microsoft to offer the best possible streaming service they can and to do so in the here and now not "well maybe 3 years down the line".

StriderKiwi said:
That was probably the most underwhelming console reveal in recent memory. Not a dumpster fire like the PS3 and Xbox One reveals, just, meh. The current catalogue is hardly exhaustive, and few exclusives. So for players that are already committed to the PS5 or Xbox One 2, what's the incentive to either get the Stadia in addition to their preferred system of choice, or as a replacement?

There's plenty of people who even are "thinking" of PS5/XB2 who won't be buying one for years yet. Lots of people who might want to play 1 or 2 next-gen titles in the mean time, and Google or xCloud can take advantage of that. 

The "early adopter" crowd is a minority, not the majority, most people don't buy their console in the 1st year, many don't buy in the first 2 years. 

shikamaru317 said:
There is still one giant roadblock for game streaming, in the US at least. Data caps. The largest ISP in the US, Comcast, has a 1 TB per month data cap. If my math is right, you will go through your entire monthly cap with just 63 hours of 4K Stadia streaming at 35 mbps.

You guys dont have unlimited data? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Jranation said:
shikamaru317 said:
There is still one giant roadblock for game streaming, in the US at least. Data caps. The largest ISP in the US, Comcast, has a 1 TB per month data cap. If my math is right, you will go through your entire monthly cap with just 63 hours of 4K Stadia streaming at 35 mbps.

I wonder how many people around the world have unlimited data plans..

Especially if some unlimited data plans are not EXACTLY unlimited...

thismeintiel said:

Someone also brought up a good point.  What if you get blocked by Google for being "toxic?"  Then you could lose everything.  I'm pretty sure you would have to be a complete asshole on XBL/PSN to be banned, but if you were, you would still have all of your games.  Will Google completely block your access to your games if they find you and your opinions unacceptable?

In europe they would have to refund you, in the US ofcourse corporations can screw you over any way they like, because freedom.

Interesting proposition ...

In some aspects, it's more appealing than PS Now since you don't have to pay for subscription but in other ways it's less appealing since you have to buy the games. Will also be interested if Stadia 'Base' will have queuing issues like PS Now did ...

Either way, it's a somewhat attractive approach that the customer doesn't need to buy much hardware in the end ...

Soundwave said:
StriderKiwi said:

There's plenty of people who even are "thinking" of PS5/XB2 who won't be buying one for years yet. Lots of people who might want to play 1 or 2 next-gen titles in the mean time, and Google or xCloud can take advantage of that. 

The "early adopter" crowd is a minority, not the majority, most people don't buy their console in the 1st year, many don't buy in the first 2 years. 

Oh for sure most consumers aren't early adopters. My criticism of library strength (especially with exclusives) still stands though. Unless they greatly scale up their library to match the competition, it won't just be early adopters who pass on the Stadia. Right now, I'm getting flashbacks of the Wii U,  games that have been out on the other systems for a good while, and even then, that's a pitiful list. Even the Switch right now has a fairly impressive catalogue, and it's not all multi plats either. 

When I say "players already committed to PS5 or Xbox One 2," I'm included those that may not get one for years but are still planning to. Plenty of gamers plan their console purchases or pc upgrades in advance. Barring anything groudbreaking next week or during the PS5 reveal, I don't plan on buying a system next year, or possibly even the year after, but I'll still be contemplating which I will get when the time comes. And just like in the last paragraph, this is before even mentioning the possibility of Switch sales staying strong (though I admit, there's a decent chance they plummet like past Nintendo home console sales).

Kai_Mao said:
Jranation said:

I wonder how many people around the world have unlimited data plans..

Especially if some unlimited data plans are not EXACTLY unlimited...

Here in Germany data caps on home connections are very rare and while bandwith throttling is a thing there is a good selection of nation-wide as well as regional ISPs that explicitely offer their services without throttling while being amongst the cheapest providers. Mobile plans on the other hand are pretty shitty here, some unlimited ones are available (and usually expensive), but I have no idea whether or not they throttle bandwith for power users.