By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - July Circana (NPD) 2024 Thread + Predictions

July 2024 Circana (NPD) covers the four week period from July 7 to August 3 and will be released on August 21.

Since Circana (NPD) leaks don't happen nearly as often as it used to and hardware revenue is something we do get, be sure to include revenue in your predictions.

Feel free to also predict what you think the top software games will be for the month.

Example prediction:

[Total Hardware Revenue]

1. [#1 selling console] XXX,000
  2. [#2 selling console] XXX,000
  3. [#3 selling console] XXX,000

VGChartz US estimates for July 2023:

1. PS5 - 272K
  2. NS - 254K
  3. XSX|S - 167K

Potential impact in sales:

• EA Sports College Football 25
  • PS5 discounted by $50 to $400/$450 from July 28 to August 5
  • Xbox Series X at Best Buy discounted to $449 + $50 gift card from July 15 to July 17
  • Xbox Series X at Target discounted to $399 + EA SPORTS College Football 25 from July 15 to July 17

Results:

TLDR:

Units: PS5 > XS > NS
Revenue: PS5 > XS > NS

771K consoles sold (Up from 695K units last year)

PS5 is up 25% year-on-year in terms of dollar sales and Xbox Series X|S is up 48%. Switch is down 44%.

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 and XS Sales Jump in the US in July Due to Launch of College Football 25

The PlayStation 5 was the best-selling console in the US in July 2024 in terms of units sold and dollar sales, according to figures from Circana (formerly The NPD Group). Circana includes the dates for the four-week period of July 7 to August 3.

The Xbox Series X|S came in second place in terms of units sold and dollar sales and the Nintendo Switch came in third place.

July hardware sales for the first time since December 2023 were up year-on-year with sales up 12 percent. The PlayStation 5 saw a boost of 25 percent year-on-year in terms of dollar sales, while the Xbox Series X|S saw dollar sales jump 48 percent. The boost in the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S were partially offset by a 44 percent drop in the Nintendo Switch.

There were 771,000 consoles sold in the US in July 2024, which is up from 695,000 consoles sold a year ago.

Overall spending on video games in July grew 10 percent year-on-year from $4.35 billion to $4.77 billion. Spending on video game content increased 10 percent from $3.88 billion to $4.26 billion, while video game hardware sales grew 12 percent from $292 million to $326 million. Spending on accessories increased four percent from $177 million to $184 million.

"Projected U.S. spending on video game hardware, content and accessories reached $4.8B in July 2024, gaining 10% when compared to a year ago," said Circana Executive Director and Video Game Industry Analyst Mat Piscatella. "2024 year-to-date spending is now 2% higher than a year ago, at $32.1B."

Piscatella added, "Video game content spending increased 10% in July compared to a year ago, as 29% growth in console content spending and an 8% increase in mobile was partially offset by a 6% drop in spending on PC, cloud, and non-console VR content."

The PlayStation Portal was the best-selling accessory of July in terms of dollar sales, as well as 2024 year-to-date. in unit sales, the best-selling accessory for July and year-to-date is the PS5 DualSense Wireless Controller Midnight Black.

EA Sports College Football 25 had a huge first month as it debuted in first place in July and is already the best-selling game of 2024. It was the primary reason hardware sales for the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S are up year-on-year.

Launch month dollar sales for EA Sports College Football 25 are more than triple the lifetime dollar sales of the last entry in the College Football series, NCAA Football 07.

The EA Sports MVP Bundle debuted in second place for the month and fifth place on the 2024 charts. The bundle includes EA Sports College Football 25 Deluxe Edition and Madden NFL 25 Deluxe Edition.

Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition was the only other new release in the top 20. It debuted in sixth place on the overall charts for July 2024 and in first on the Nintendo Switch charts.

Elden Ring was the third best-selling game of July, followed by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III in fourth place, and Minecraft in fifth place.

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in terms of dollars for July 2024:

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in 2024 year-to-date:

Here are the top 10 games played on the PlayStation 5 ranked by monthly active users:

Here are the top 10 games played on the Xbox Series X|S ranked by monthly active users:

Here are the top 10 games played on Steam ranked by monthly active users:

Here are the top 10 best-selling premium games on PlayStation platforms in July 2024:

Here are the top 10 best-selling premium games on Xbox platforms in July 2024:

Here are the top 10 best-selling premium games on Nintendo platforms in July 2024:

Last edited by trunkswd - on 21 August 2024

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter, Bluesky, and Threads.

I post and adjust the VGChartz hardware estimates, with help from Machina.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Monthly Hardware Breakdown Monthly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

My prediction is that the July report will be delayed again.

Other than that:

PS5 - 260K
NS - 130K
XSX|S - 120K

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

It's seriously a mystery as to how the new College Football game will influence hardware sales despite the big anticipation I've seen for it.

Anyway, my predictions:

PS5 - 230K
Switch - 155K
Xbox Series - 140K

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

1. PS5 - 304k
2. NSW - 222K
3. X|S - 203K

PS5- 330k
xbox- 150k
Switch- 140k

Around the Network

Updated schedule for upcoming Circana (NPD) report releases.

July report will still come out August 21, however, the August report has been delayed all the way to October 9. September and October release dates remain the same, while the November release date is new.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter, Bluesky, and Threads.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Monthly Hardware Breakdown Monthly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

We got some lifetime sales figures for the US from Circana's (NPD) Mat Piscatella.

• Xbox 360 - 42.7M
  • PS2 - 46.5M
  • Wii - 41.7M
  • PS3 - 26.7M

This also confirms the Switch is around 45.4M lifetime as Mat previously stated the Switch is 1.1M units behind the PS2. VGChartz estimates has the Switch at 45.42M lifetime in the US.

VGChartz estimates had the PS3 at 26.9M in the US. I've gone and adjusted it to match Circana figure. I had to adjust up our PS3 estimates in RoW to make sure our worldwide sales match Sony's figure.

The rest of the VGChartz estimates pretty much match the Circana data.

Damn September is gonna be a dry month for data now. The lack of consistency isn't ideal.

Norion said:

Damn September is gonna be a dry month for data now. The lack of consistency isn't ideal.

Agreed. Circana constantly getting delayed is getting old. 

trunkswd said:

Agreed. Circana constantly getting delayed is getting old. 

Can't someone do them a fine or something ? so they don't get delayed never ever, and have a strict schedule and come out let's say 1 or 2 weeks max after the month is done ? They deserve it.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games