By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect presents: Their 1086 Greatest Games, as of 2023

Mnementh said:

Thanks mZuzek for your outstanding work each year.

For the results: I am surprised to see Baldur's Gate 3 outside the TOP 100. I know CRPGs (complex RPGs) are niche, but come on it deserved a spot in the TOP 100.

Elden Ring snatched a place in the TOP 10, even though it is through a 3-way-tie. Very deserved!

I haven't played Baldur's Gate III yet even though I certainly plan to. I think it being one of few current gen only titles (PS5/SX/PC) limits the amount of people that played it.
It recieved 5 votes, and only one game in the Top 100 had 5 votes.
That being Final Fantasy VIII, which is a rather love-it-or-hated entry. It's probably either ranked very highly on people's lists, or not at all.

Nice to see Elden Ring in the Top 10, even though I think it dropped by 1 position on my list.

Also, Resident Evil 4 Remake did not impact my positioning of the original.
This was one of the things I had to carefully consider before making my list. In the end I came to the conclusion that it does not replace the original, but deserved a spot in my Top 50 none the less, albeit not as high as I have OG RE4.

I haven't played Separate Ways yet though, so it may go up on my list next year.

Last edited by Hiku - on 26 January 2024

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Mnementh said:

For the results: I am surprised to see Baldur's Gate 3 outside the TOP 100. I know CRPGs (complex RPGs) are niche, but come on it deserved a spot in the TOP 100.

Elden Ring snatched a place in the TOP 10, even though it is through a 3-way-tie. Very deserved!

I haven't played Baldur's Gate III yet even though I certainly plan to. I think it being one of few current gen only titles (PS5/SX/PC) limits the amount of people that played it.
That being Final Fantasy VIII, which is a rather love-it-or-hated entry. It's probably either ranked very highly on people's lists, or not at all.

Nice to see Elden Ring in the Top 10, even though I think it dropped by 1 position on my list.

This was one of the things I had to carefully consider before making my list. In the end I came to the conclusion that it does not replace the original, but deserved a spot in my Top 50 none the less, albeit not as high as I have OG RE4.

I haven't played Separate Ways yet though, so it may go up on my list next year.

Elden Ring dropped definitely one position on my list, as I had it first in the last year.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Persona 5 made into the top 10, nice.
Great work!

But why do Resident Evil 4 and the Remake are separated results but Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal and Heart Gold/Soul Silver are computed together?

Hiku said:
Mnementh said:

Yeah, I think it's also a factor of many people not having the time to play it. Elden Ring is proof that this community likes to take its time with new games, heh. I've only now gotten around to playing Baldur's Gate 3 and I'm positively sure it'll be in my top 50 this year.

By the way on the RE4 situation, there were definitely people who opted to vote for one or the other, but many voted for both.

BraLoD said:

But why do Resident Evil 4 and the Remake are separated results but Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal and Heart Gold/Soul Silver are computed together?

Honestly, I personally think the Pokémon remakes should be listed separately from the originals, I believe I did it like that on my first year of doing this, but then I realized that they were only eating at each other's votes, no one ever voted for both GSC and HGSS, so it was a bit unfair on them.

Conversely, many people vote for both originals and remakes of the Metroid, Final Fantasy, and Resident Evil series. Many people had two RE4's on their lists.

Around the Network

Great job as always and thank you for all of your work! Can't wait to see how this turns out next year. Glad to see Mario RPG in the top 100, though would prefer to see it in the top 50. But I can't be too choosy. I'm sure Galaxy will make my list next year. Maybe even Sunshine.

I've done this the last few times, so just for fun, here are a few stats.

• 24 games from my list made it into the top 50
  • From the collective top 10 four of the games were on my list (Elden Ring, Final fantasy VII, Super Mario Bros 3, and Breath of the Wild). Curiously, they were in the exact opposite order on my list than in the collective one.
  • If we extent that to the top 20, I had seven of those games on my top 50, adding The Last of Us, Shadow of the Colossus, and Final Fantasy VI to the list.
  • Only one game from my personal top 10 made it into the combined one (Elden Ring), the next closest being my #6 (Shadow of the Colossus) reaching #19.
  • Games nobody else had on their lists:
    • A Plague Tale: Innocence (My #50, probably going to fall of my list next time)
    • Trails in the Sky the 3rd (My#49, also in danger of falling off next time)
    • Trails in the Sky (My #11)
    • Trails in the Sky SC (My #7)
    • Freespace 2 (My #3)
  • Finally, some pleasant surprises:
    • Nier: Automata at #31 (Didn't expect it to be that high, but wonderful to see. The game deserves it)
    • Hollow Knight at #42 (The best Metroidvania, nice to see it place so high)
    • Suikoden II at #70 (For an honestly fairly niche title, and a pretty old one at that, this is a great placement)
    • Valkyria Chronicles at #91 (One of my favourite games ever, so the fact its in the top 100 makes me happy)
  • There were certain games whose high placement somewhat baffled me, but in the interest of being nice, let's not dwell on them.

mZuzek said:

Honestly, I personally think the Pokémon remakes should be listed separately from the originals, I believe I did it like that on my first year of doing this, but then I realized that they were only eating at each other's votes, no one ever voted for both GSC and HGSS, so it was a bit unfair on them.

Conversely, many people vote for both originals and remakes of the Metroid, Final Fantasy, and Resident Evil series. Many people had two RE4's on their lists.

I personally do still think it makes sense to count remakes that closely resemble their parent game together with it though. I don't know whether or not Resident Evil 4 and the Pokémon remakes particularly can be considered different enough though, because I haven't played either, but I guess judging these things might get a bit subjective anyway.

I just noticed that my #1 (Tales of Symphonia) and #2 (Warcraft III) are also the #1 and #2 highest games with 3 votes. When you like em you love em.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

TruckOSaurus said:

Great work once again mZuzek! At first I was stunned Resident Evil 4 had dropped so low (#58) but then I realized it was the Remake and the original was still Top 20 (although I'm guessing the remake did split the vote a bit because I remember it being higher).

Lol, I did the same thing.  I had to scroll back up because I was sure I had already seen RE4, and well, of course I did.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)