By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect presents: Their 1086 Greatest Games, as of 2023

It is cool that three games shared the number #10 spot on the list. Gathering the same amount of points that high up.

I also like that Fire Emblem tops the GBA list of best games.

Around the Network

Thanks for your work on this event, the effort you put on it is highly appreciated.

I guess the biggest surprise in the higher parts of the list is that P5 and Elden Ring are tied with Mario Odyssey. I wish Chrono Trigger also tied them. Majora's Mask deserves better, should be above both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess and nice to see Nier Automata and Hades ranking high.

@mZuzek 

I currently go through the list with a bit more detail and noticed that you listed XCOM: Enemy Unknown and UFO: Enemy Unknown as separate games. They are one and the same game, for some reason it was renamed for release in America from the name it originally had. But these are just the american and international name for the same game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

I currently go through the list with a bit more detail and noticed that you listed XCOM: Enemy Unknown and UFO: Enemy Unknown as separate games. They are one and the same game, for some reason it was renamed for release in America from the name it originally had. But these are just the american and international name for the same game.

Why do they have to make things so complicated when naming games?

Anyway, I think I got this one right actually. You listed UFO: Enemy Unknown, the 1994 game, on your list; MTZehvor listed XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the 2012 remake of the 1994 game, on their list. According to wikipedia, it's more of a "reimagining" than a remake, so I take it that should count as a separate game.

mZuzek said:
Mnementh said:

Why do they have to make things so complicated when naming games?

Anyway, I think I got this one right actually. You listed UFO: Enemy Unknown, the 1994 game, on your list; MTZehvor listed XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the 2012 remake of the 1994 game, on their list. According to wikipedia, it's more of a "reimagining" than a remake, so I take it that should count as a separate game.

Ah, right, I didn't notice the year. I wasn't even aware there was a remake. But looking it up - yep, it's the remake. UFO: Enemy Unknown had also as american name X-COM: UFO Defense. This is incredibly confusing. So I retract my remark, well done :)

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Around the Network

OK, I took a closer look and can also make some comparisons as other here did. But first thing: thanks for this event everyone participating and @mZuzek  organizing it. I am enjoying it every year, even though I am short on time for it (especially at the start), as at work often projects have to be finished to the end of the year. Anyways, I enjoy showing off the games I had fun with and am happy to look at what others liked.

With that, let's look at a comparison of my list with the general one.

From my TOP 10 only Elden Ring made it onto the general TOP 10 and only three to the TOP 100 (Xenoblade Chronicles and Okami). The other way round, only one other game besides Elden Ring from the general TOP 10 even got to my list, which was Breath of the Wild.

25 games - half of my list - were only on my list. These are:

• Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl (my #5)
  • Pandora's Tower (#7)
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (#9)
  • Another Code R (#11) ← for this one the remake just released for Switch as Another Code Recollection, I hope more people are able to learn to know Ashley Mizuki Robbins now
  • Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land (#12)
  • Star Wars: Dark Forces (#13)
  • 20 Minutes Till Dawn (#17)
  • Wildermyth (#19)
  • Return to Zork (#22)
  • Graveyard Keeper (#24)
  • Jagged Alliance (#26) ← although someone else keeps Jagged Alliance 2 also in the list
  • UFO: Enemy Unknown (#27) ← as you can see with the previous post, I thought someone else had it too, but alas the remake, which I don't know, I should take a look
  • Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV (#28)
  • Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (#31) ← I think Intelligent Systems should remake Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn as package for Switch with their modern engine
  • Against the Storm (#34) ← this left early access in December, give it a try
  • Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (#35)
  • Phoenix Point (#38)
  • Attack of the Friday Monsters! (#39)
  • Songs of Conquest (#40)
  • Grounded (#42)
  • Deathloop (#43) ← that's a serious surprise, no one else had it? That is not one of the obscure indies or old games I like.
  • Project Zomboid (#46)
  • Crusader Kings III (#47)
  • Slice & Dice (#48)
  • Descent (#50)

As much as I was suprised to see I was the only one listing Deathloop, I was surprised to see someone else also tried Rise to Ruins and put it on their list! That is a much more obscure indie. Nice, that someone else was enjoying it as well.

I see Pajderman was going through the TOP 50 to look what he might try. I do something different: I looked at the games with only one vote and check which ones I want to try. Obviously I won't go through all of them, but here the ones I want to try out:

• A Plague Tale: Innocence
  • Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (that one might push Deathloop out of the list )
  • Radiant Historia
  • Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
  • A Space for the Unbound (heard a lot of good things)
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (might hard for me to play it, maybe it is among the virtual console purchases I made before the eshop closed - if it ever released there)
  • Songs of Syx (yeah, was on my list, but surprised to see someone already listed it)
  • Wandersong
  • Inscryption (now that I played Pony Island, I have to try this)
  • Outer Wilds
  • Return of the Obra Dinn
  • Fantasy General
  • Octopath Traveler II

Shoutout for some games others brought to the list with a single vote, but that didn't make my list (some were on it in past years). These are good games, we are just restricted to 50!

• One Must Fall: 2097
  • Wii Sports Resort
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising
  • Rhythm Heaven Fever (I had it on the list in the past, but with the european title Beat the Beat)
  • Pony Island (I only played after I made the list, when I saw the trailer for Pony Island 2 on the Game Awards - this may well make my list next year and I am hooked to play Hex and Inscryption)
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Indiany Jones and the Fate of Atrlantis
  • Pentiment
  • Populous
  • Tomodachi Life (not exactly my game, but I want game devs to take chances and make more weird and whacky games like this)
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer (I have a skill issues with rhythm games, but damn is that catchy music and a great concept)
  • Hearthstone
  • Doki Doki Literature Club!
  • Dwarf Fortress (I like colony sims, but this is too rich for my blood. Still, I can see that it created or massively formed the genre and the dedication of the devs and the attention to detail is legendary)
  • Oxygen Not Included (one of the aforementioned colony sims that took their inspirations from Dwarf Fortress, I played it after I made my list, probably will miss the TOP 50 next year but still a good game, I have Against the Storm and Rise to Ruins for the colony sims on the list)
  • Sid Meier's Civilization (classic)
  • The Elder Scrolls Online (yeah, I like that, not for the MMO part, but for the rich lore of Tamriel, the great characters and good questlines)

So thanks again for everyone participating.