By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect presents: Their 1086 Greatest Games, as of 2023

Wman1996 said:
coolbeans said:

Great to see KOTOR reaching Top 100 this year. Hopefully some more play it and maybe it could climb to Top #50!

I played KOTOR in 2015-2016 and then again in 2022. So many people claim it's aged immensely but the only big thing that stands out to me as very dated is the graphics. 

In the mid-2000s to early 2010s, KOTOR would probably crack a ton of people's Top 50 and possibly even a lot of Top 20 rankings.  

I was shocked to find out I didn't have a KOTOR poster in my files, I couldn't believe that it had yet to register a top 100 appearance in my time of hosting the event. Looking back through the years, the last time it got top 100 was all the way back in 2014, the Smeags era! It's always been very near the top 100 every year, really well-deserved for it to finally make it back in.

Around the Network

Thank you as always. Always enjoy reading the top 100 with the great art work.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Quite a lot of games where I was the only voter. Must've been at least couple dozen games that wouldn't be on the list without me - I'm the sole reason for a Game Gear list.

mZuzek said:
Wman1996 said:

I played KOTOR in 2015-2016 and then again in 2022. So many people claim it's aged immensely but the only big thing that stands out to me as very dated is the graphics. 

In the mid-2000s to early 2010s, KOTOR would probably crack a ton of people's Top 50 and possibly even a lot of Top 20 rankings.  

I was shocked to find out I didn't have a KOTOR poster in my files, I couldn't believe that it had yet to register a top 100 appearance in my time of hosting the event. Looking back through the years, the last time it got top 100 was all the way back in 2014, the Smeags era! It's always been very near the top 100 every year, really well-deserved for it to finally make it back in.

Yep.  Ever since I started keeping up with this yearly list (before finally participating), I always noticed KOTOR floating outside the top 100.

Thank you for your work, mZuzek!

Breath of the Wild really deserves to be on top of that list in my opinion. It's the best game I've ever played. Tears of the Kingdom got close, but there is something magical about just walking through the open world in BotW. I think Tears is a weaker game precisely because it gives you all those fast and easy methods to travel. There are so many ways to traverse the game world in a short time, or alternatively just mark a spot on the map and glide towards it after being shot from a tower, that it diminishes the open world. Breath was a much slower, calmer experience. It felt very tranquil most of the time and the game world had more of an impact. I hope Nintendo recaptures that magic with the next entry. It was enough to wait almost 20 years for OoT to be dethroned. I don't want to wait another 20 years for them to top BotW.

Around the Network

Great work, very well laid out. That's a lot of work.

I compared the results against my own list.

The biggest outliers:

Transport Tycoon at #46, here at #991
Burnout at #41, here at #903
Syberia at #35, here at #802
Super Paper Mario at #50, here at #719
Syberia The world Before at 23, here at #627

Closest matches

The Last of Us #13, here at #17
Zelda TotK at #11, here at #16
Zeldas BotW at #7, here at #1
Portal 2 at #18, here at #24
Paper Mario: TTYD at 42, here at #49

Biggest outliers the other way

Final Fantasy 7 at #45, here at #7
Super Mario Galaxy at #38, here at #5
Zelda OOT at #29, here at #2
Skyrim at #30, here at #8

I expected not to match all that much with the heavy Nintendo presence, yet Skyrim at #8 is a surprise.

Went through the top 50 to see what games I have not played and evaluate if I will.

Final Fantasy 7 is the first game going from the top that I have not played. Only tried some of the older final fantasy games and final fantasy X, did not enjoy them and will probably not try this one out. Enjoyed some of the video analysis people made about it however.

Super Mario Odyssey Donno why I have not tried this one. I usually like the Mario games (with some exceptions) and think that I would have a good time with this as well. Newer games get less and less of my attention.

Persona 5 now this is far away from my usual type of game but it does intrigue me. Of all the games at the top this is probably the one that need to find time to try out. I have a strange feeling that it would make me an Atlus fan.

Tears of the kingdom Nope. Played BotW not for me at all. And this is similar in many aspects. Hard pass.

God Of War I like action adventures and I like linear games. However The God of War games have an aura of being to macho. If a friend gave it to me and told me to play it I would. Might watch some lets play of it. 

Portal 2 Enjoyed the first game. Stayed away from the sequel out of some fear of feeling stupid. Puzzles from the first game with one portal gun was giving me headache. My brain would be set on fire playing this thing with two of them. 

Xenoblade Chronicles part of a genre I do not enjoy. Open world rpg. It does not strike me as interesting or different enough for me to give this a try. 

NieR: Automata watched lets play of this. It is a really cool game. Feel no need to play it myself but I like it. 

Bloodborne I'm not good enough of a player to take on the souls games.

Hades Yep, this one I need to try. Roguelike games with high replay value. Is the Switch version good enough? I think it might benefit greatly being portable. 

Metroid Dread I do not love the Metroid games and I do not hate them. I'm just kind of indifferent. But the way people mentions their heart beat raise while playing this have me considering trying it out. 

Final Fantasy IX   There are a lot of RPGs in the world. I just don't think the time it takes to get going on the journey is worth it most of the time. And most of them just have tedious tasks or slow talks or ugly characters ect ect. I no nothing about this entry and might be a bit unfair judging it, but to me it is just another JRPG and therefore a skip.

The Last of us Part II Will get this when the updated version is released. The first game is on of my favorites. I have not played this mostly because i never owned a PS4 and felt it a bit degrading buying last gens games for my current gen system.

Hollow Knight cool style but if I pick up a Metriodvania Metroid Dread will be picked first.

Final Fantasy VII Remake hmm, no.

Mass Effect 2 One of my friends really love this series. The only thing that holds me back from this is that it feels like to much commitment. Story heavy and with connections between games I I ever play this I will play the first game as well.

Final Fantasy XII ok, another one of these. 

There where more games than I thought that I never tried. I'm probably less experienced in this medium than I thought. Maybe because I spend a lot of time playing the few games I love instead of trying new stuff. 

Pajderman said:

Went through the top 50 to see what games I have not played and evaluate if I will.

Final Fantasy 7 is the first game going from the top that I have not played. Only tried some of the older final fantasy games and final fantasy X, did not enjoy them and will probably not try this one out. Enjoyed some of the video analysis people made about it however.

Persona 5 now this is far away from my usual type of game but it does intrigue me. Of all the games at the top this is probably the one that need to find time to try out. I have a strange feeling that it would make me an Atlus fan.

God Of War I like action adventures and I like linear games. However The God of War games have an aura of being to macho. If a friend gave it to me and told me to play it I would. Might watch some lets play of it. 

Portal 2 Enjoyed the first game. Stayed away from the sequel out of some fear of feeling stupid. Puzzles from the first game with one portal gun was giving me headache. My brain would be set on fire playing this thing with two of them. 

Hades Yep, this one I need to try. Roguelike games with high replay value. Is the Switch version good enough? I think it might benefit greatly being portable. 

Gonna share a few words of wisdom (possibly)

• FF isn't for everybody but I will say if there's one game that you can enjoy without being a huge FF fan it's VII. There's a reason it's the most well known entry and the only one on my list. The story and atmosphere is top notch and the materia system makes it fairly one-of-a-kind
  • Good to hear, Persona 5 is amazing. Quite an undertaking since it's one of the longest games out there but definitely worth it.
  • I mean God of War is fairly violent but the last two games have rather emotional stories and some even think they've "gone soft". Maybe reading/watching a summary of the first three and trying out God of War 2018 might be something worth considering
  • You don't actually have 2 portal guns in Portal 2 (except in Co-op I suppose) and it's not really a harder game than the first. It's also in my top 5 of all time so obviously big recommendation from here
  • Hades runs great on Switch no need to worry about that.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Thanks for your input UnderwaterFunktown. I obviously do not know much about the games I have not played and my takes are pretty baseless. 

Glad to hear Hades runs well on Switch, will visit the online store later today and at least put it on my wish list. 

Alright so I figured I'd also compare the final list with my own to come up with a few stats and observations because some of you did that and I thought it's a fun idea;

• The Top 100 of the final list contains sixteen games that are in my personal list.
  • The Top 100 of the final list contains six games that are in my personal Top 10.
  • The Top 10 of the final list contains six games that are in my personal list.
    • Three games are in both Top 10s.
  • The closest match is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, placed #1 on my personal list compared to #2 on the final list.
  • The winner of the final list is ranked nine spots away in my personal list
  • The biggest outlier is Dynamite Cop!, placed #49 on my personal list compared to #1043 on the final list.
  • The furthest game from my personal list's Top 10 is RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, placed #7 on my personal list compared to #416 on the final list.
  • The furthest game from the final list's Top 10 is The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, placed #6 on the final list compared to #39 on my personal list.
  • I am the sole voter for 19 games on the final list;
    • Dynamite Cop!
    • Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box)
    • Crazy Taxi
    • Soccer
    • Wolfenstein 3D
    • Star Wars Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire
    • Total War: Rome II
    • Empire: Total War
    • Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
    • SimCity 3000
    • Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force
    • Motocross Madness
    • SimTower: The Vertical Empire
    • The Operative: No One Lives Forever
    • Call of Duty
    • Kula World (Rollaway)
    • Astérix (Asterix: The Gallic War)
    • RollerCoaster Tycoon 2
    • Anno 1602: Creation of a New World (1602 A.D.)