By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect presents: Their 1086 Greatest Games, as of 2023

Interesting to see how effective a single vote can be at the lower rankings.
But, yeah a great list, thank you for all your hard work.

Around the Network

Awesome work once again!

As always I'm a bit bummed I'm the only voter on some of my absolute favourites like Anno 1602, or that some of my top favourites are, in my eyes, placed much too low like MediEvil or Theme Hospital, due to them having not a lot of votes. Of course I am pleased at the Zelda love, though I can't keep myself from mentioning that Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild should be swapped.

Anyway, like I said, great work, and a great 2024 to you too!

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 26 January 2024

S.Peelman said:

Awesome work once again!

As always I'm a bit bummed I'm the only voter on some of my absolute favourites like Anno 1602.

Anno 1602 is one of the earliest PC games I played. Very good series but I was a bit young for it. 1404 is really the first one I played properly.

It's a shame there's no opensource version of 1602 with improvements for modern systems like OpenTTD, OpenRA or OpenRCT2.

Zippy6 said:
S.Peelman said:

Awesome work once again!

As always I'm a bit bummed I'm the only voter on some of my absolute favourites like Anno 1602.

Anno 1602 is one of the earliest PC games I played. Very good series but I was a bit young for it. 1404 is really the first one I played properly.

It's a shame there's no opensource version of 1602 with improvements for modern systems like OpenTTD, OpenRA or OpenRCT2.

If there as an opensource version of 1602 like those you mention I'd be playing that all the time.

I swear half of you only play games from the same four franchises: Zelda, FF, Mario, and Metroid.

Some observations:

• Resident Evil 2 at #131 is the game with the most votes (10) that fell outside of the top 100. 
  • On the flipside Final Fantasy VIII at #98 snuck into the top 100 with half the number of votes (5), and indeed the fewest votes out of all the games in the top 100. High quality votes matter!
  • Funny to see Halo 2 & 3 together. Surprisingly last year Halo 2 managed #57, to Halo 3's #84, so Halo 2 dropping off is the reason they're close this year.
  • I'm curious where the two Resident Evil 4s (#58 & #20) would be if they were combined. I wonder if the remake being separate actually hurt the original because it dropped a bit in rank.
  • Yey for Shadow of the Colossus being in the top 20!
  • Tears of the Kingdom enters the charts at #16. Will time be kind to it next year or will it drop off?
  • Time was kind to Elden Ring. It gained 5 votes on last year and rose in rank from #38 to a very impressive joint spot in the top 10.
  • No changes to the top 3, but quite a bit of shifting around in the top 10, mostly with Nintendo classics bumping down some of the newer Nintendo titles.
  • 9 of the top 10 last year were Zelda or Mario games, this year it's down to 8 out of 12 (because of the tie at 10th).
  • The highest a game from my personal top 10 got was Shadow of the Colossus at #20. The lowest was Dota 2 at #416.
  • Of the top 50 here, 7 were in my top 50. I'll take that.

Was pleased to see these games increase in rank:

• Dark Souls III from #80 to #58
  • Portal from #82 to #55
  • Diablo II from #94 to #52
  • Bloodborne from #50 to #34
  • Portal 2 from #32 to #24
  • Shadow of the Colossus from #28 to #19

Again, thanks mZuzek - must take a long time to put all of those posts together.

Around the Network

The thing I enjoy about these lists is that even games with 1 vote (of which there are many) are still represented and serve as a way for users to look more into them and if they're worth playing.
Thanks to those who compiled all the votes and titles and also those who voted.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Machina said:

I swear half of you only play games from the same four franchises: Zelda, FF, Mario, and Metroid.

To be fair there are "only" 4 Metroid games in the top 100, less than Soulbornes if you count Elden Ring. But yea the other 3 are insane:

1. Mario - 12 entries
  2. Zelda - 11 entries
  3. Final Fantasy - 8 entries

That's like a third of the top 100 combined.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Machina said:

To be fair there are "only" 4 Metroid games in the top 100, less than Soulbornes if you count Elden Ring. But yea the other 3 are insane:

1. Mario - 12 entries
  2. Zelda - 11 entries
  3. Final Fantasy - 8 entries

That's like a third of the top 100 combined.

Taking up a third of the top 100 is pretty rough.

I think the fact that we have a notable demographic only playing on Nintendo systems tips the scales, when combined with the rest who either started on a Nintendo system/play on multiple systems.

If there are multiple entries in a franchise that are similar enough, I try to only chose the one I like the most.
With some exceptions like story heavy titles.

I have Resident Evil 2 on my list, but I didn't include RE1 and RE3 because I feel Resident Evil 2 is a good enough representative of what those games bring to the table.

But it's really nice to see every game that recieved a vote getting represented on the list.

Last edited by Hiku - on 26 January 2024

Thanks mZuzek for your outstanding work each year.

For the results: I am surprised to see Baldur's Gate 3 outside the TOP 100. I know CRPGs (complex RPGs) are niche, but come on it deserved a spot in the TOP 100.

Elden Ring snatched a place in the TOP 10, even though it is through a 3-way-tie. Very deserved!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I definitely need more time to process everything...but just wanted to say thank you, mZuzek. The time and energy you put into this event each year is very much appreciated!