By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Should Xbox End their Generation Early?

What year should Xbox start the next generation?

2025 9 14.29%

2026 11 17.46%

2027 18 28.57%

2028 16 25.40%

2029 9 14.29%

Total:63

If they announce the next console soon. Phil Spencer may as well just say Saturn is not our future...sorry I mean Series X is not our future. I had flashbacks to 1998 Bernie Stolar for a second.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
Mar1217 said:

This kind of knowledge falls flat when you know that basically both Sony and Nintendo have games they're working on too. That kind of numerological war is useless.

Simply to the contrary of Xbox, they don't reveal every single instance they have in their hand. Nintendo for example, has been keeping their hand more closely to their chest when it comes to announcing their upcoming games.

What matters is your upcoming calendar schedule of releases, not the trillion upcoming projects that won't see a clear release date before another 4 years.

In that sense, you'd be right to be excited for what Xbox is coming up with this next year because they seem to have a healthier 1st party schedule (if no delays) and have their most exciting line ups in years.

Nintendo is in a transitional phase from the end of a cycle to another after a banger year so it's understandable to see them coming with a lighter year and Sony does have an offering for this year even if we're not sure of it's full picture.

So, be happy. Xbox can finally maybe showcase a better year software wise than it's competitors !

Now, if it does happen and the hardware needle is still in decline, that'll just prove what the others were saying 

Basic knowledge means nothing if I don't know what they are. Of course they have games in development. It's really not that wild of a statement to say, I personally find Xbox has a more exciting lineup of games since we actually know what a lot of them are. 

Xbox still has a lot of games we don't know about. 

So you go full circle and basically agree with me about the bolded. 

It can also mean an earlier hardware release could be the right move if nothing is improving. 

You'd probably have to read my post again because my take is simply to not wage useless numbers of games around for the overall far-flung future when what matters is the current calendar releases, you know, the stuff that's actually suppose to come out and that will push hardware sell.

In that sense, all 3 publishers have their titles coming in for the first half of the next year.

So no I can't agree with you because by default, I do not share your software priorities.

And like I said, unless what is on offer is capable of moving the hardware needle, then no, wavering the flag of numerous software "in-developpement" means nothing be it a known title or not.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:

You'd probably have to read my post again because my take is simply to not wage useless numbers of games around for the overall far-flung future when what matters is the current calendar releases, you know, the stuff that's actually suppose to come out and that will push hardware sell.

Just posted this in another thread but it is applicable to this point.

MS announced 11 titles in the lead-up and 1st year of this generation, only 4 of them have been released as of now.
Sony announced 11 titles, 10 of which are now released. As you say having a gigantic list of titles that will come at some point means nothing. It's a large list because they've been so slow at getting them out the door they just pile-up unreleased.

It's more important to actually release games then just have 10+ games announced but not out.

aTokenYeti said:

I was late to this thread, but IMO I think Xbox should jumpstart next gen early (I voted 2026) and I also think they should do basically a soft reboot of the entire brand.

This isn’t even because of the current console sales, but the simple fact that at this point Microsoft gaming is a radically, *radically* different company than it was at the start of 9th gen. Since the Series X was announced at the end of 2019, Microsoft has purchased 2 of the largest western publishers and become the largest employer of game developers in the world.

I think a big reboot of the brand to reflect these changes is in order. Keep calling it Xbox, and keep using the color green, but everything else is on the table to mix up

I agree. When Xbox initially released they targeted hardcore PC gamers, especially in the shooter area with Halo and Gears. And despite what people say, the original Xbox and the brand was successful - in a way. Xbox brought Achievements, Internet play (not entirely new, but for the first time on a broader scale on console), DLC, game updates. In a way PS5 now looks more like the original Xbox than the PS2. So Xbox was and is influential, yet it did not realize in numbers. But at this point PS has adapted everything the Xbox introduced and excels at it. No point in doubling down, Xbox need to change to be relevant.

My suggestion would be: go for a family console. I think that matches well with Gamepass. A family can have a box under the TV, that plays games, and Gamepass games. Each member can pick a game on a whim and either play it after a download or start right away with streaming. No need to purchase, as they have a Gamepass subscription. The kid comes home from school and plays some kid game (a new and good Viva Pinata, a new Spyro or Skylanders, Minecraft or a Minecraft spinoff, Grounded, a new Banjo, or some new IP). The whole family gets together to play together (MS needs some sort of Mario Kart or Mario Party game - best have both). The father plays something like Hellblade, Pentiment, Diablo, Starfield or Pillars of Eternity in the evening. The mother maybe some cozy farming sim or romantic visual novel (MS needs both). Both parents together play something in the style of It Takes Two. All of the games come off the Gamepass subscription, with streaming they can be played instantly after selecting a game on a whim.

That all doesn't mean they should abandon their current customers, they can have a second (more powerful) box for these and still have COD and Halo.

Also to mention: I think MS is also eyeing the mobile market, I think that was a big part of why they bought Activision. Currently the gaming on mobile is dominated by single breakout games, but what if that model changes? Netflix is already there, if you have the Netflix app and a subscription, you can play a catalogue of games right away. MS could have something similar with a Xbox app or a specific Gamepass app and a Gamepass sub (poossibly with a special mobile tier).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

haxxiy said:

The main problem with an early release is that a generational leap (say, 4090-tier hardware at console prices) isn't there. If you're lucky, a 2025-2026 release will get you a very early and expensive N2 with no backside power delivery, but more likely just N3. The latter is only twice as efficient and dense as the N7 node used in the 9th gen consoles. Not good enough unless you want to rely heavily on FG/ML upscaling.

Mind, the problem doesn't get much better in 2028, but at least by then some of this stuff will get a bit cheaper, and people will be more likely to take what they can get if they've been gaming for 5+ years in the same hardware. Maybe it works if you just want a reboot of the brand to play the same games at higher resolutions and framerates - I don't know, that's sort of what the Pro consoles are for already.

I don't think going for more power is going very well currently. There are certainly indications the current AAA productions are in trouble, signified by the massive layoffs. Games got too expensive to produce and too many are going after always the same models - if a game is successful 10 big companies try to copy that model as an AAA game. Given that game development at this level now take six years or longer, they arrive mostly once the hype is over. So you get a lot of failing AAA games: Forspoken, Immortals af Aveum, Babylons Fall, Redfall and so on. This is not sustainable. The big companies need to change and I think the hunt for the best in graphics has to end. That also is at a point, where new advancements in chip tech is no longer a given and prices stay stable or even increase. I think betting on the most powerful system next gen might be not the best choice. Especially since the power hungry gamers are already mostly aligned with PS anyways and will pick it even if the XBox ends up being a bit more powerful. And much more powerful will not work, as the tech is not available at a reasonable price.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
smroadkill15 said:

MS is actively doing the things you are requesting them to do. You might not agree about these games, but clearly some people do.

I already acknowledge Xbox should have done things differently so I'm not sure why you keep repeating this tired statement. 

Clearly not enough people do though, if we look at Xbox Series sales. 

You may find it "tired" but it's the truth. What's tired is their repeated promises that they'll do better, only to continue to under-deliver.

Whether they decide to release a new Xbox or not will make no difference if their first party output remains weak. At this point, they're probably better off doing what Sony did with the PS3 and trying to ride it out and regain their audience's trust instead of risking pissing off the few who did stick with them by cutting the Series short.

Who in this thread is disagreeing with you? Lol. That's why it's tired. Once again, they had a solid year in game releases this year. They have a nice lineup of games already lined up for next year. Their lineup being weak is a personal opinion, not a fact. Ps5 was selling this year even when they had no big 1st party games until Spiderman 2. Xbox had more consistent releases all year. At the end of the day, ps5 is able to sell huge numbers off brand power alone, while Xbox doesn't have that luxury. Expect Xbox to match this is simply unrealistic. 

Xbox could ride it out. Is releasing in 2026 vs 2027 really going to make a difference in regaining trust? As long as Xbox has consistent releases between now and then, this is more important. 

Nope, I don't want to hear/see anything about a new Xbox until 2027 at the earliest and not released until 2028. I saw someone mention ballooning development costs as a reason that we should be waiting for as long as possible for a new Xbox (and PlayStation for that matter) and that's a very good point.

Zippy6 said:
Mar1217 said:

Just posted this in another thread but it is applicable to this point.

MS announced 11 titles in the lead-up and 1st year of this generation, only 4 of them have been released as of now.
Sony announced 11 titles, 10 of which are now released. As you say having a gigantic list of titles that will come at some point means nothing. It's a large list because they've been so slow at getting them out the door they just pile-up unreleased.

It's more important to actually release games then just have 10+ games announced but not out.

Ehh sure early on, but what does Playstation have coming out next year? Sony announced several games at their showcase this year with no release date.  Hellblade 2 and Avowed are next year for xbox along with 3 other 1st party games not from this list. Xbox has a nice lineup of games to look forward to between 2024-2026. Games just take too long to make now. Sony is in a similar spot themselves right now that MS was in to start the gen.

Maybe the person who made this should update it each year instead of the one year that is convient for their argument. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 27 December 2023

Zippy6 said:

It's annoying. Wolverine was announced too early, and pretty much the entire Xbox lineup was announced too early.

Over 3 years from announce to release is too much. The Xbox Series event in July 2020 is probably the prime example of terrible.

Fable - Still not out
State of Decay 3 - Still not out
Everwild - Still not out
Avowed - Still not out
Hellblade 2 - Still not out
Forza - released now, but over 3 years later.

In hindsight that event was awful because they've completely failed to deliver in a reasonable time.

Here's a rundown of the 1st party game announcements Dec 2019 - September 2021. I think I got most of them. Out of the 11 games announced to this day MS has only released 4 of them. Sony announced 11 games, 10 of which are released and just 1 that will release a long time after being announced.

Would be interesting to see you add the Switch 1st party game announcements list in a similar time frame just to add perspective here.

Edit : 

Btw, didn't Xbox announce the Perfect Dark reboot by The Initiative Studio and Crystal Dynamics in 2020 which was allegedly in dev hell and also announced to be "years from now" last summer. Another one to add in your list 👌

Last edited by Mar1217 - on 27 December 2023

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

smroadkill15 said:

Ehh sure early on, but what does Playstation have coming out next year? Sony announced several games at their showcase this year with no release date.  Hellblade 2 and Avowed are next year for xbox along with 3 other 1st party games not from this list. Xbox has a nice lineup of games to look forward to between 2024-2026. Games just take too long to make now. Sony is in a similar spot themselves right now. 

Maybe the person who made this should update it each year instead of the one year that is convient for their argument. 

Ignoring the 3rd party exclusives we have the following PlayStation published titles next year: Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade & Concord. Whether any of the TBA titles from Sony end up as 2024 I cannot say but we know Marathon is 2025.

I was just quoting someone to add to their point about the time between announcement and release which Mar1217 posted about. Typically major AAA Xbox titles are announced over 3 years before they release, which isn't uncommon for the industry as a whole these days but is generally longer than the typical Nintendo/Sony game. With notable exceptions being Metroid Prime 4, Zelda Mainline titles and Wolverine. But they are the exception for those platforms, not the norm.