By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Should Xbox End their Generation Early?

What year should Xbox start the next generation?

2025 9 14.29%

2026 11 17.46%

2027 18 28.57%

2028 16 25.40%

2029 9 14.29%

Total:63
smroadkill15 said:
Kyuu said:

Say what you want but Halo and Starfield underdelivered. Forza did great (given its perceived popularity) but wasn't that big of a system seller. Much of what you write here is irrevelant (the topic is hardware sales) and exaggerated (for instance, Halo and FH5 didn't do much for GamePass either. IIRC GamePass growth was starting to slow down not long before they released. They couldn't stop this).

You overestimated these games yourself in a discussion with me. You claimed that Xbox will have two big system sellers coming before Sony releases their first (completely ignoring Miles Morales!), thinking it'll help Xbox gain marketshare.

Yes, there is nothing wrong with having high expectations. Just as there is nothing wrong with explaining why some of these expectations were too-positive/unrealistic. But I'm more annoyed by rude and arrogant posts that attack/mock people with literally more reasonable expectations just because they're less positive towards Xbox. You here are misrepresenting my arguments... I didn't say "CoD won't have any positive effect on Xbox hardware" , I meant the marketing/GP CoD impact will be negligible or shortlived. For example, Xbox Series XS's Q4 is looking to decline YoY (over an already terrible 2022 Q4) despite Starfield. That doesn't mean that Starfield had zero impact... it just means that the impact was small enough to call insignificant. It couldn't even offset the decline over an embarrassing Q4 2022 for crying out loud.

"CoD marketing" may be an even smaller factor this late in the generation. I'm pretty sure Xbox One launched with CoD marketing and yet the PS4 crushed it. X360 keeping up with PS3 had little to do with X360 CoD marketing. PS3 was more harmed by CoD simply existing on Xbox, which was easily the superior console in a number of key areas.

You have no idea what my exact expectations for any of these games were so stop saying I had unrealistic expectation. If you're going to talk about expectations, tell me what those exactly are and how they weren't met because my perception of delivering could very well be different from yours.

If you want to keep pretending Xbox didn't benefit from the CoD deals when they had them and won't once they get them again, is a weird hill to die on. Let's look at the facts. Microsoft paid to have marketing rights and so did Sony, right afterwards. Why would they ever do such a thing for so long if it didn't have any positive effects on either brand? Sony fought the ABK deal with CoD being the center piece of their issue. Clearly, Sony and MS understand the benefits of Cod marketing, Why don't you? 

"I didn't say CoD won't have any positive effect on Xbox hardware." No, this is exactly what you said:

"A next-gen version of a multplat CoD would do nothing to a new Xbox. Actually, even a CoD that skips Playstation consoles would not necessarily result in a massive increase to the new Xbox's baseline " You're already backtracking. My entire point was, Xbox consoles and software sales would see a boost and help a next gen console release. Omg, What a crazy take lol. For some reason this bothered you even though there is years of sales data to prove this.

Based on your last sentence about which console was superior and your defense about the ps3, you care more about console wars than any point I was actually making. 

Oh I actually have a fair idea, and I explained how. You said Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 would be the first BIG system sellers on either platforms, ignoring Miles Morales which had great legs at the time of your post. Meaning: you thought these two games would be the notably bigger deals. They weren't.

They say "haters gonna hate" and you're like the embodiment of this right now, as you fail to grasp rather uncomplicated points by clinging onto silly semantics and trying to make something out of nothing. I didn't "backtrack":

"A next-gen version of a multplat CoD would do nothing to a new Xbox."

Keyword "Multiplat". If CoD does stay multiplatform, I don't think it would do much to an all new Xbox in terms of gaining marketshare vs Playstation, because most people will still buy them on their preferred platforms, and most of those who want to jump to the new generation will go for PC or wait for the PS6. A very small minority will switch from PC/PS to Xbox. Are you upset that I said "nothing" which is a figure of speech meaning "VERY little"?

"Actually, even a CoD that skips Playstation consoles would not necessarily result in a massive increase to the new Xbox's baseline."

Emphasis on "Necessarily" and "Massive".

Sorry but I'm not backtracking from either of these opinions! A CoD that skips Playstation and remains on PC would help Xbox gain marketshare (especially when compared to the scenario where it stays multiplat), but it won't "necessarily" be enough to bring Xbox close to Playstation levels, so it may or may not be a "massive" increase. You act like there is no middle ground between small and massive.

My last sentence was an attempt to explain that a lot more was going on between Xbox 360 and PS3 than just CoD marketing deals. Even as a Playstation gamer myself, I bought a X360 and played more games on it than on PS3. CoD had nothing to do with that. During the PS4 generation, the majority of games that were marketed for Xbox ended up selling a lot more on Playstation. I'm not saying marketing deals have zero benefits, but they don't matter as much as you suggest. I'm more interested in the GamePass effect but I won't hold my breath here either. You're free to feel different about it.

Funny that for a "console warrior", I think PC is more responsible for Xbox's decline than Sony/PS5. Perhaps you should address me as a PC fanboy going forward.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 07 January 2024

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I really don't think that COD marketing will help Xbox. As long as it's still available on Playstation people will just play it there.
In the 7th gen Xbox were actually a viable alternative to Sony thanks to killer exclusives, and had built up an identity as the place to be for shooters. That's not the case any more.

I am not sure. Yes, in theory marketing rights shouldn't do much. But in practice - it indeed does something for PS. Mabe it is because COD players are different than other gamers. Maybe a good portion of COD players only plays that game and nothing else or barely anything else. And COD is massive, only a small portion of players affected by it would do something. Say 10% of the 30M COD players are affected. That is 3M. In the first year of a consoles lifes that could be crucial. in 2021 PS5 sold 12M and XS 8M. Three million would nearly annihilate that difference and that could massively help to build early momentum.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Kyuu said:
smroadkill15 said:

You have no idea what my exact expectations for any of these games were so stop saying I had unrealistic expectation. If you're going to talk about expectations, tell me what those exactly are and how they weren't met because my perception of delivering could very well be different from yours.

If you want to keep pretending Xbox didn't benefit from the CoD deals when they had them and won't once they get them again, is a weird hill to die on. Let's look at the facts. Microsoft paid to have marketing rights and so did Sony, right afterwards. Why would they ever do such a thing for so long if it didn't have any positive effects on either brand? Sony fought the ABK deal with CoD being the center piece of their issue. Clearly, Sony and MS understand the benefits of Cod marketing, Why don't you? 

"I didn't say CoD won't have any positive effect on Xbox hardware." No, this is exactly what you said:

"A next-gen version of a multplat CoD would do nothing to a new Xbox. Actually, even a CoD that skips Playstation consoles would not necessarily result in a massive increase to the new Xbox's baseline " You're already backtracking. My entire point was, Xbox consoles and software sales would see a boost and help a next gen console release. Omg, What a crazy take lol. For some reason this bothered you even though there is years of sales data to prove this.

Based on your last sentence about which console was superior and your defense about the ps3, you care more about console wars than any point I was actually making. 

Oh I actually have a fair idea, and I explained how. You said Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 would be the first BIG system sellers on either platforms, ignoring Miles Morales which had great legs at the time of your post. Meaning: you thought these two games would be the notably bigger deals. They weren't.

They say "haters gonna hate" and you're like the embodiment of this right now, as you fail to grasp rather uncomplicated points by clinging onto silly semantics and trying to make something out of nothing. I didn't "backtrack":

Keyword "Multiplat". If CoD does stay multiplatform, I don't think it would do much to an all new Xbox in terms of gaining marketshare vs Playstation, because most people will still buy them on their preferred platforms, and most of those who want to jump to the new generation will go for PC or wait for the PS6. A very small minority will switch from PC/PS to Xbox. Are you upset that I said "nothing" which is a figure of speech meaning "VERY little"?

"Actually, even a CoD that skips Playstation consoles would not necessarily result in a massive increase to the new Xbox's baseline."

Sorry but I'm not backtracking from either of these opinions! A CoD that skips Playstation and remains on PC would help Xbox gain marketshare (especially when compared to the scenario where it stays multiplat), but it won't "necessarily" be enough to bring Xbox close to Playstation levels, so it may or may not be a "massive" increase. You act like there is no middle ground between small and massive.

My last sentence was an attempt to explain that a lot more was going on between Xbox 360 and PS3 than just CoD marketing deals. Even as a Playstation gamer myself, I bought a X360 and played more games on it than on PS3. CoD had nothing to do with that. During the PS4 generation, the majority of games that were marketed for Xbox ended up selling a lot more on Playstation. I'm not saying marketing deals have zero benefits, but they don't matter as much as you suggest. I'm more interested in the GamePass effect but I won't hold my breath here either. You're free to feel different about it.

Funny that for a "console warrior", I think PC is more responsible for Xbox's decline than Sony/PS5. Perhaps you should address me as a PC fanboy going forward.

I said, first big system sellers for xbox. I didn't say or mean they were the first big system sellers between both platforms. 

I never said or suggested, CoD marketing would bring xbox closer to playstation in any significant way. It would take much more than some 3rd party deals for this to happen. Once again, you bring up playstation when I never made any kind of comparison to begin with. You know discussions can be made about Xbox and Playstation without bringing up or comparing them to one another, right? 

I'm aware of what you mean by nothing. Like I said, both companies fought hard to get the deal passed or blocked for a reason. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest a Cod marketing/GP would give xbox a 5-10 million console boost over a generation. If that's nothing to you, then okay. 

I'll address you however you decide to present yourself. I'm going to move on now. This is going nowhere since you are laser focused on turning this into a console comparison when it was never my point. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 07 January 2024

smroadkill15 said:
Kyuu said:

I said, first big system sellers for xbox. I didn't say or mean they were the first big system sellers between both platforms. 

I never said or suggested, CoD marketing would bring xbox closer to playstation in any significant way. It would take much more than some 3rd party deals for this to happen. Once again, you bring up playstation when I never made any kind of comparison to begin with. You know discussions can be made about Xbox and Playstation without bringing up or comparing them to one another, right? 

I'm aware of what you mean by nothing. Like I said, both companies fought hard to get the deal passed or blocked for a reason. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest a Cod marketing/GP would give xbox a 5-10 million console boost over a generation. If that's nothing to you, then okay. 

I'll address you however you decide to present yourself. I'm going to move on now. This is going nowhere since you are laser focused on turning this into a console comparison when it was never my point. 

No. You compared the two consoles and said (paraphrasing) MS would release two big system sellers before Sony releases their first, which in your mind was going to be either Ragnarok or Forbidden West. When I noted Miles Morales, you ignored my post, acting like Sony released nothing big on PS5 before 2022.

I bring up Playstation as a measurement of popularity and marketshare. PS5 is the direct competitor, and had an average baseline of well below 2x that of Series XS before 2023. If comparisons to the direct competitor bother you, just say the word and I'll never mention Playstation again (unless it's virtually unavoidable like it is in the end of this post) and instead compare it to its own typical baseline.

If Starfield couldn't raise Xbox to a decent baseline (it's significantly declining over a weak year, and an awful Q4), CoD marketing shouldn't do it either. A CoD marketing deal in the middle of the generation would not add anywhere near 5-10 million Series XS sold lifetime. More like 500k tops (maybe 1-2 million for a next generation Xbox), in addition to a few hundred thousand new CoD buyers from the existing Xbox fanbase. CoD deal selling 5-10 million extra Xbox consoles is achievable if CoD skips Playstation, or if Sony royally screws up the PS6, of if GamePass suddenly explodes in popularity. And while I wouldn't call 5-10 million "massive", it's certainly not "nothing" lol.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 07 January 2024

Well I would say the Xbox generation has already ended early with there all digital future.

BiON!@