By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Should Xbox End their Generation Early?

What year should Xbox start the next generation?

2025 9 14.29%

2026 11 17.46%

2027 18 28.57%

2028 16 25.40%

2029 9 14.29%

Total:63
smroadkill15 said:
Norion said:

Did you seriously just try to use the Steam reviews that have been getting increasingly negative over time and have been mostly negative for the past several weeks as evidence for Starfield being well received overall? There has been a clear trend in its reception since launch and it has not been positive. The biggest Xbox release of the year getting this much negative and middling reception undeniably brings their year down at least somewhat and combined with stuff like Forza Motorsport and Redfall their year has been quite mixed for them software wise. I hope 2024 is better since Xbox needs a strong year.

I did because based on how some of you act, you would think the positive reviews and disliked reviews were switched. Then of course there is all the other sources I provided. I have a hard time taking someone seriously leaving a negative review after they have already played 200, 300, 400, or more hours. They obviously found some level of enjoyment from the game, but now feel burned out and every little thing gets to them. I can't imagine playing a game for that long and not enjoying it. If I really dislike a game, I'm not playing more than 5-10 hours. Then of course some are leaving negative reviews simply in retaliation for Bethesda commenting. Likely a big part of such a dramatic increase in dislikes. It's not like gamers can't be petty or anything. Someone even posted an example in this thread lol. 

I mean I never said most people who played it disliked it, my point is that a lot of the people who did having a disappointing or bad experience is a significant downer for Xbox's 2023 due to it being by far their biggest release this year. 

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
Kyuu said:

A "next-gen" version of a multplat CoD would do nothing to a new Xbox. Actually, even a CoD that skips Playstation consoles would not necessarily result in a massive increase to the new Xbox's baseline. Because most CoD fans on Playstation would probably be switching to PC instead. CoD leaving Playstation would hurt Playstation more than it helps Xbox.

Xbox's main problem is obviously PC day 1 support. PC is the shit these days. Not even Nintendo and Sony systems are as compelling overall. More and more people will realize how similar modern PC's are to consoles in terms of ease of use, and will enjoy its many advantages. As long as both Sony and Microsoft support PC, it will eat into their market or limit their growth potential, starting with Xbox which has no significant advantages over PC.

Easy to make such a claim because CoD isn't leaving PS.

Lets just look at the evidence. When the 360 had CoD marketing, it clearly effected Xbox in a positive way. Even early 8th gen marketing helped the Xbox One. Then playstation saw a nice bump in consoles sold and Cod software increase until even the most recent release. But now Xbox will get it again and with Game Pass day 1, it will do nothing. Got it.

Regardless, more people switching to PC from PS helps MS and gives them more opportunities to sell their games or get Game Pass. Xbox is just another option for those who prefer consoles. 

We will see next year if Xbox getting Cod marketing will have a positive effect on Xbox sales. If it does, then I say it's a safe bet it will also help with a next gen Xbox.

CoD on GamePass won't sell that many Xbox consoles. Some of you guys always set your expectations high and learn nothing from it.

"Wait for Halo and FH5"

"I mean wait for Starfield!"

"No chance 2023 will be a decline for Xbox. If that's what you predict, I'll attack and mock you and compare you to Quickrick!!"

Etc.

PS3 struggling against X360 had nothing to do with CoD deals. Sony's missteps that gneration was the cause of their struggle (Price, late launch, difficulty of game development, etc). CoD won't massively help Xbox unless it leaves Playstation and gets timed exclusivity vs PC. Marketing-exclusivity is overrated, and services aren't yet the be all and end all. Most gamers just don't care about subscription services, hence the big 3 require them for online multiplayer.

You're right on people switching to PC would benefit Microsoft indirectly. Xbox (hardware) may as well disappear and Microsoft could still be a bigger gaming entity than Sony. Not arguing against that.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 30 December 2023

Mnementh said:

And please abstain from such massicely dishonest takes like the above quoted, that is more for derailing discussion than the intention of serious additions to the topic.

Also I believe you meant "massively", and the better choice would have been "incredibly", and no, it's not me being dishonest, that is what you chose to believe, do not place that upon me out of your tarty rudeness (there was a reason why I stopped commenting on article sections, and you were one of those reasons, just so you know, and also to let you know this will be the last time we talk again, because I know where the back and forth leads and I'm tired of that to be honest). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Mnementh said:

And please abstain from such massicely dishonest takes like the above quoted, that is more for derailing discussion than the intention of serious additions to the topic.

Also I believe you meant "massively", and the better choice would have been "incredibly", and no, it's not me being dishonest, that is what you chose to believe, do not place that upon me out of your tarty rudeness (there was a reason why I stopped commenting on article sections, and you were one of those reasons, just so you know, and also to let you know this will be the last time we talk again, because I know where the back and forth leads and I'm tired of that to be honest). 

If you don't like to be called out, then stop posting really, really bad takes.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

They should only do that if they have a clear direction on what they're going to do. They thought they had one this gen and it didn't turn out well.

Around the Network

I haven't played Starfield, but I think it's less a matter of it being a bad game and more that it really needed to be great as a game that was supposed to reinvigorate the Xbox Series, but it turned out not to live up to the hype.
It's okay to like it, but clearly it didn't get the job done in terms of selling consoles.

curl-6 said:

I haven't played Starfield, but I think it's less a matter of it being a bad game and more that it really needed to be great as a game that was supposed to reinvigorate the Xbox Series, but it turned out not to live up to the hype.
It's okay to like it, but clearly it didn't get the job done in terms of selling consoles.

None of that matters (apparently). It's all about sales and it "sold well" = great game, despite the word of mouth, the bugs, the bad writing and dated mechanics. 

Some people seem to still have the mindset of something selling well "therefore it must be good regardless of anything said", despite there being more factors at play (Take junk food for example: turkey twizzlers that Jamie Oliver got banned years ago, those sold extremely well, yet they were bad meals objectively by health standards). 

But apart from that, I don't believe they need to end their gen early, since they already have a new model to replace the Series S planned on their map anyway. All they really need to do is sort out their games (you know, ones that aren't like Redfall/Starfield, and more like Hi-Fi Rush, that come with style and quality).

Last edited by Chazore - on 30 December 2023

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Unrelated but not posting in the MS thread because one person spends all day and night posting there and I don't feel like getting swarmed. I saw MS promoting ID at Xbox using shitty AI art and the faces and hands were so fucked up looking. I know it seems like small potatoes but everywhere I look at the Xbox division from Spencer on down. From little things to big things. I just see a company that gives the impression of not giving a fuck as long as a profit happens. There is no care for quality or artistry. Just quantity and profit lines only. Nintendo cares about profits but still cares deeply down to the last tiny detail to make something great. MS a trillion-dollar company won't even hire an artist for a small promotional material. However, it's also just an incept division at reading the room and has been for 10+ years.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Chazore said:
curl-6 said:

None of that matters (apparently). It's all about sales and it "sold well" = great game, despite the word of mouth, the bugs, the bad writing and dated mechanics. 

Some people seem to still have the mindset of something selling well "therefore it must be good regardless of anything said", despite there being more factors at play (Take junk food for example: turkey twizzlers that Jamie Oliver got banned years ago, those sold extremely well, yet they were bad meals objectively by health standards). 

But apart from that, I don't believe they need to end their gen early, since they already have a new model to replace the Series S planned on their map anyway. All they really need to do is sort out their games (you know, ones that aren't like Redfall/Starfield, and more like Hi-Fi Rush, that come with style and quality).

You can *objectively* say Starfield is a bad game? I don't think anyone can. The factor is more: is it fun for some people. And indeed it is. And the more objective factors you call upon with your comparison to turkey twizzlers are for example microtransactions and loot boxes. I would agree that would be bad - but they aren't present in Starfield. So your comparison really falls flat. It is about subjective factors, and as I already told: by subjective factors I didn't even like Starfield. But concluding on personal tastes it is a bad game, if clearly some people like it would be very bad of me, as I cannot dictate my personal tastes over that of others.

By personal tastes I dislike the Tomb Raider Reboot, God of War and GTA V. But I cannot in all seriousness conclude these are bad games, just not my cup of tea.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Chazore said:

You can *objectively* say Starfield is a bad game? I don't think anyone can. The factor is more: is it fun for some people. And indeed it is. And the more objective factors you call upon with your comparison to turkey twizzlers are for example microtransactions and loot boxes. I would agree that would be bad - but they aren't present in Starfield. So your comparison really falls flat. It is about subjective factors, and as I already told: by subjective factors I didn't even like Starfield. But concluding on personal tastes it is a bad game, if clearly some people like it would be very bad of me, as I cannot dictate my personal tastes over that of others.

By personal tastes I dislike the Tomb Raider Reboot, God of War and GTA V. But I cannot in all seriousness conclude these are bad games, just not my cup of tea.

I just watched a video of a youtuber apologising for giving starfield a good review. He was saying he was blinded by hype and that the game is not just bad, but a slap in the face to all Bethesda fans. Would that happen to a game that isn't objectively bad? Have you ever seen that happen with any other game? People apologising for a positive review? With all the numerous loading screens how could you not say the game is objectively bad?