By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Should Xbox End their Generation Early?

What year should Xbox start the next generation?

2025 9 14.29%

2026 11 17.46%

2027 18 28.57%

2028 16 25.40%

2029 9 14.29%

Total:63
smroadkill15 said:
curl-6 said:

Clearly not enough people do though, if we look at Xbox Series sales. 

You may find it "tired" but it's the truth. What's tired is their repeated promises that they'll do better, only to continue to under-deliver.

Whether they decide to release a new Xbox or not will make no difference if their first party output remains weak. At this point, they're probably better off doing what Sony did with the PS3 and trying to ride it out and regain their audience's trust instead of risking pissing off the few who did stick with them by cutting the Series short.

Who in this thread is disagreeing with you? Lol. That's why it's tired. Once again, they had a solid year in game releases this year. They have a nice lineup of games already lined up for next year. Their lineup being weak is a personal opinion, not a fact. Ps5 was selling this year even when they had no big 1st party games until Spiderman 2. Xbox had more consistent releases all year. At the end of the day, ps5 is able to sell huge numbers off brand power alone, while Xbox doesn't have that luxury. Expect Xbox to match this is simply unrealistic. 

Xbox could ride it out. Is releasing in 2026 vs 2027 really going to make a difference in regaining trust? As long as Xbox has consistent releases between now and then, this is more important. 

Was it really solid? It's better than 2022 but Redfall, Starfield and Forza Motorsport all missing the mark to varying degrees brings thing down by so much that I'd argue it wasn't that much better. They need to be consistent in both quantity and quality if they want the brand to recover. 

Around the Network
Norion said:
smroadkill15 said:

Who in this thread is disagreeing with you? Lol. That's why it's tired. Once again, they had a solid year in game releases this year. They have a nice lineup of games already lined up for next year. Their lineup being weak is a personal opinion, not a fact. Ps5 was selling this year even when they had no big 1st party games until Spiderman 2. Xbox had more consistent releases all year. At the end of the day, ps5 is able to sell huge numbers off brand power alone, while Xbox doesn't have that luxury. Expect Xbox to match this is simply unrealistic. 

Xbox could ride it out. Is releasing in 2026 vs 2027 really going to make a difference in regaining trust? As long as Xbox has consistent releases between now and then, this is more important. 

Was it really solid? It's better than 2022 but Redfall, Starfield and Forza Motorsport all missing the mark to varying degrees brings thing down by so much that I'd argue it wasn't that much better. They need to be consistent in both quantity and quality if they want the brand to recover. 

Its all opinion based, but I don't see how most games averaging in the 80 range isn't solid. To me, solid means good or even great at times, but not amazing. Xbox 1st party console exclusives: HifiRush (87), Starfield (83), Forza (84), Age of Empires 4 for console(83), Age of Empires 2:DE for console (84), Redfall (56). 

Multiplat games from Xbox: Minecraft Legends (71), Quake 2 Enhanced (90), GoldenEye remaster (83). Throw in big updates like; Sea of Thieves Return to Monkey Island, Halo Infinite seasons, Forza Horizon 5 added content, and more. I consider it a solid year from Xbox, with Redfall being the only dud. If Sony or Nintendo saw similar scores for their games, I find it hard to believe people would say anything less than good. 

smroadkill15 said:
Norion said:

Its all opinion based, but I don't see how most games averaging in the 80 range isn't solid. To me, solid means good or even great at times, but not amazing. Xbox 1st party console exclusives: HifiRush (87), Starfield (83), Forza (84), Age of Empires 4 for console(83), Age of Empires 2:DE for console (84), Redfall (56). 

Multiplat games from Xbox: Minecraft Legends (71), Quake 2 Enhanced (90), GoldenEye remaster (83). Throw in big updates like; Sea of Thieves Return to Monkey Island, Halo Infinite seasons, Forza Horizon 5 added content, and more. I consider it a solid year from Xbox, with Redfall being the only dud. If Sony or Nintendo saw similar scores for their games, I find it hard to believe people would say anything less than good. 

You're not taking audience reception into account though and that matters more. Forza and Starfield are both sitting at mostly negative recent reviews on Steam right now with the former being mostly negative with all of them. I'd for sure consider Forza Motorsport a dud based on the audience reception and would even consider Starfield that at this point at least somewhat with how increasingly negative its reception has got in the past couple months. The biggest Xbox release since 2021 becoming a bit of a punching bag is rough for the brand. There was good stuff this year like Hi-Fi Rush but Starfield being received the way it has overshadows that with how big a title it is and how much hype it had.

Norion said:
smroadkill15 said:

You're not taking audience reception into account though and that matters more. Forza and Starfield are both sitting at mostly negative recent reviews on Steam right now with the former being mostly negative with all of them. I'd for sure consider Forza Motorsport a dud based on the audience reception and would even consider Starfield that at this point at least somewhat with how increasingly negative its reception has got in the past couple months. The biggest Xbox release since 2021 becoming a bit of a punching bag is rough for the brand. There was good stuff this year like Hi-Fi Rush but Starfield being received the way it has overshadows that with how big a title it is and how much hype it had.

The Forza thing surprises me. It won a couple awards at the game show - so I thought it was doing well.  Then I read on another site a thread about things xbox needs to fix and I saw at least 5 people talking about Forza.

So I just looked it up on steam and wow it's sitting at mostly negative. Both recent and All reviews.

So their three most recently released games (Redfall, Forza, Starfield) are all sitting on mostly negative.

So the game shadow-released is cult favorite, and the three games with any advertising are bombing with fans on steam. There is something to learn from that.

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Norion said:
smroadkill15 said:

Audience reception can be deceiving at times. Sometimes it's trolling, while it can be over inflated and under inflated. I personally enjoyed my time with Starfield after 85 hours. Easy 8.5/10 for me. I'll revisit again later on. I played Forza Motorsport. Another game I enjoyed, but I'm not a car enthusiasts. From what I understand, most players biggest issue with Forza Motorsport was other players online. While the actual driving felt great overall. Redfall I thought was terrible. HifiRush was my favorite game all year until I beat Alan Wake 2. I really don't care about Steam user scores since I didn't play any of these on Steam and have to worry about optimization. 

Did you play any of these games yourself or just what you heard? 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 27 December 2023

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Norion said:

The Forza thing surprises me. It won a couple awards at the game show - so I thought it was doing well.  Then I read on another site a thread about things xbox needs to fix and I saw at least 5 people talking about Forza.

So I just looked it up on steam and wow it's sitting at mostly negative. Both recent and All reviews.

So their three most recently released games (Redfall, Forza, Starfield) are all sitting on mostly negative.

So the game shadow-released is cult favorite, and the three games with any advertising are bombing with fans on steam. There is something to learn from that.

I think these reviews are skewed by retaliation for puchasing Activision. Redfall may be bad (I don't really know), but While Starfield doesn't blow me away it definitely isn't a bad game that deserves these bad scores. There are far more shittier games in the AAA area, especially considering Starfield is free of Microtransactions. And I don't know much about Forza, but all points to a competent racing games wihtout much to complain about. At least for Starfield the recent ratings are worse than the one at release - even though arguably some stuff now is fixed and the game is better. So yeah, I call bullshit on these reviews. These are angry fanboys that can't take the Activision acquisition.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Bandorr said:

I think these reviews are skewed by retaliation for puchasing Activision. Redfall may be bad (I don't really know), but While Starfield doesn't blow me away it definitely isn't a bad game that deserves these bad scores. There are far more shittier games in the AAA area, especially considering Starfield is free of Microtransactions. And I don't know much about Forza, but all points to a competent racing games wihtout much to complain about. At least for Starfield the recent ratings are worse than the one at release - even though arguably some stuff now is fixed and the game is better. So yeah, I call bullshit on these reviews. These are angry fanboys that can't take the Activision acquisition.

Why would the people that buy the games on steam care who bought the company when they still buy the games on steam.  Plus the reviews are fairly easy to check. You can check if they bought it, how long they played it etc.

So non-steam users are buying the game and playing it so they can review bomb it on steam?

To be clear I'm talking about steam and steam alone. Not open critic, or meta critic.

Last edited by Bandorr - on 27 December 2023

Bandorr said:
Mnementh said:

Why would the people that buy the games on steam care who bought the company when they still buy the games on steam.  Plus the reviews are fairly easy to check. You can check if they bought it, how long they played it etc.

So none steam users are buying the game and playing it so they can review bomb it?

I think they actually bought it, but are unhappy about the acquisition. I cannot see any rational reason, why Starfield now gets worse reviews than at launch except this.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Bandorr said:

So none steam users are buying the game and playing it so they can review bomb it?

I think they actually bought it, but are unhappy about the acquisition. I cannot see any rational reason, why Starfield now gets worse reviews than at launch except this.

So they bought the game, played it but then left a negative review for it because of the company that bought it. Despite the fact that buying the company did nothing bad to them? In-fact possibly did something good for them since there is a chance that these games weren't going to come to steam day 1?

Isn't it more likely that more and more people are playing the game and disliking the game? Specially since the games are out long enough to start getting discounts etc?

I guess anything is possible.

You don't have to go too far into social media, YouTube and other media's to realize that after the sweet launch period, Starfield has gotten the most criticisms for any main Bethesda game since well ... Fallout 76.

Hitting big enough is a thing, being an actual good game is another and it fell into mild territories from an audience point of view, simple as that. This is the kind of thing that does not help Microsoft push their hardware in the long run.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909