By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could the PS5 surpass Nintendo Wii sales in Japan?

archbrix said:

Except for Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter World, what does Playstation have left in the future that Japan really cares about?  And I believe that at least one of those 2 will be on Switch 2 as well.  So, even accounting for all of the exports I can only entertain the PS5 crossing the 10m mark in Japan at some point, and even then, not by much in my opinion.  And there's a pretty large gap between 10m+ and almost 13m.

At least Dragon Quest was always in development for Switch from the start. Albeit it faced development difficulties. So maybe they're not too keen on going through that again, unless Switch 2 makes it notably easier to put multi plats on it.
Which I expect it will (if anything because of DLSS), but the question is to what degree.

Games like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Nier, Persona, Yakuza, etc, can be questionmarks depending on how the next Switch turns out.
Most games for PS5 are still developed for PS4 as well, but I imagine that will be uncommon within the next year or two.

Around the Network

Here is a chart (assuming PS5 will be around 5M by 1st January). PS5 is still very far from the Wii lifetime sales .. It has a lot of work to do.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

I would say close numbers for Japan.

XtremeBG said:

Here is a chart (assuming PS5 will be around 5M by 1st January). PS5 is still very far from the Wii lifetime sales .. It has a lot of work to do.

It has a lot of work to do, but let's see how long will this gen will last.

Wii had a strong start, but it declined really bad after some years. If PS5 stays longer than usual, it can catch up.

Shtinamin_ said:

Lets take a look at past PS consoles to get an idea how well PS is received in Japan.
PS5 is at 4.75M.
PS4 sold at 9.66M
PS3 sold at 10.47M.
PS2 sold at 23.18M.
PS1 sold at 21.59M.

Now I want to look at the percentage of each (comes from # sold in Japan/# sold worldwide).
PS5: 9.71%
PS4: 8.24%
PS3: 11.98%
PS2: 14.61%
PS1: 21.06%

Since Sony's direction to apply Western ideals, they have lost the appeal of their home country. The PS5 is in it's 4th year of selling, and the PS6 is rumor for 2027 (could be pushed to 2028). PS5 has about (Im gonna go with the later year for a basis of the maximum) 5 years. This year so far the PS5 has sold ~2.3M. If we assume PS5 will sell at least this well for the next 4 years thats an increase of 9.2M. But the PS5 won't be able to do forever, there is always a peak year and slowly decreases in sales. Let's say in in 2 years is the peak, and after it's peak year it sells -10% to 20% (based on Switch after peak years) compared to the year before. And PS4 is still selling, and probably will for another year, so lets say PS5 will sell 5 years into PS6 life. But once PS6 releases the drop will be -20% to -30% of a drop (maybe more).

I think the PS5 worldwide will sell 124M

Ok, so we have an idea. Loose idea, but an idea.

PS5 is at 4.75M + 2.3M (2024) + 2.3M (2025) + 2.07M (2026) + 1.86M (2027) + 1.49M (2028 PS6 releases) + 1.19M (2029) + 0.95M (2030) + 0.76M (2031) + 0.61M (2032) + 0.49M (2033 sold out) = 18.77M

18.77/124 = 15.13%
18.77M will be it's maximum if all goes well. If PS5 has already reached it's peak then it will reach 13.01M. 10.49%

Yes, PS5 will surpass the Wii (12.77M) just barely but it will. Do I want it to no, but I'm trying to be realistic.

The data is great: The conclusion is optimistic. Once Switch successor hits the market, PlayStation will hit a hard wall in terms of Japanese sales figures. For that, I believe your 2024/2025/2026/… estimates need be lowered 0.5-1.0mil. Furthermore, once PS6 drops, PS5 sales figures will fall off a cliff: 2029/2030/2031/2032/2033 need be adjusted with a “max sales ceiling” of 0.4mil for any one of those years. It’s not out of the realm of possibility to see PS5 have legs lasting into its successors lifecycle…but something would need to go wrong with the PS6 in order for this to happen (eg PS6 is overpriced like the PS3, there need be a supply shock similar to with the PS5, etc).

In all, I think your estimate would more appropriately be knocked down to around 7-8mil sales remaining in Japan, which really leaves the initial question unanswered as to whether PS5 could surpass the Wii in Japan.

Last edited by firebush03 - on 19 December 2023

Around the Network
firebush03 said:

The data is great: The conclusion is optimistic. Once Switch successor hits the market, PlayStation will hit a hard wall in terms of Japanese sales figures. For that, I believe your 2024/2025/2026/… estimates need be lowered 0.5-1.0mil. Furthermore, once PS6 drops, PS5 sales figures will fall off a cliff: 2029/2030/2031/2032/2033 need be adjusted with a “max sales ceiling” of 0.4mil for any one of those years. It’s not out of the realm of possibility to see PS5 have legs lasting into its successors lifecycle…but something would need to go wrong with the PS6 in order for this to happen (eg PS6 is overpriced like the PS3, there need be a supply shock similar to with the PS5, etc).

In all, I think your estimate would more appropriately be knocked down to around 7-8mil sales remaining in Japan, which really leaves the initial question unanswered as to whether PS5 could surpass the Wii in Japan.

I agree with both of your statements. What the PS5 will sell in Japan, have to be now till the Switch successor launches there, cuz it will eat big chunk of those PS5 sales. Just like I said before (when the PS5/XBSX launched and had stock issues) the console sales overlap when there is competition. Sure Switch isn't directly competitor to PS or Xbox, but still it has taken some of their sales when they haven't been available freely everywhere. The same of course goes for the opposite. PS5/Xbox too eat up some of the potential Switch sales. If there were no PS/Xbox Switch would have break 150M by now. And the opposite, if there were no Switch PS4 decline would be steeper and would've sold more units. PS5, Xbox too. In Japan xbox is not factor, but the PS5 surely has taken some of the Switch sales and vice versa. Worldwide of course PS5 will fall of a cliff once PS6 launches, so better be selling now when it's the major Sony's console. But there is still much time. It has around 5 years more where it's the main focus for both Sony, and customers.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

firebush03 said:

The data is great: The conclusion is optimistic. Once Switch successor hits the market, PlayStation will hit a hard wall in terms of Japanese sales figures

I disagree. The year Switch released was PlayStation 4's strongest year in Japan. Nintendo and Sony consoles do not harm each others sales substantially even in Japan.

Zippy6 said:
firebush03 said:

The data is great: The conclusion is optimistic. Once Switch successor hits the market, PlayStation will hit a hard wall in terms of Japanese sales figures

I disagree. The year Switch released was PlayStation 4's strongest year in Japan. Nintendo and Sony consoles do not harm each others sales substantially even in Japan.

I think they mean going forward.  Historically, the launch of a new system has never impacted the sales of the current lead console for that year (feels weird calling PS5 Japan's "lead" console).  But I expect 2025 to see a significant drop for the PS5 in Japan, with sales nosediving thereafter.

One thing clear that wasn't taken into account when the new gen started is that the PS5 in Japan would see a good portion of it's sales coming from exportation to China notoriously, because the current software market in Japan hasn't shown thus far an increase in PS ownership there and followed moreso the descending trend we saw from the PS4 going forward.

If next year has to be ever has strong as the last one it'll depend on a few things:

- Core titles that interests the Japanese crowd like DQ, Monster Hunter and whatever they'll feel like adopting cuz there hasn't been any huge PS5 selling title on the PS5 thus far.

- The export market situation. It has to remain has strong as it ever was and that'll prolly depend on the strength of the Yen in the upcoming year.

-The stock situation. PS5 had a stock problem since it's release and has finally managed to quench the thirst it has build for over 3 years. Meeting such a big immediate demand could mean the next year won't see the big upwards of sales we had last year since the demand will be regularly met.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I think it can, but will be very hard to achieve it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."