By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unity is going to charge for installations of games using their engine

What kind of nonsense is that!? That introduces a bunch of unnecessary unknowns to developers, making a project using Unity way more riskier than it should be. Retroactively charging developers is really stupid on its own, but to make matters worse it means Unity could come up with more stupid nonsense down the road that also affects projects retroactively.
They say it's only the initial installation that will be charged but how much trust can we put in that? I mean, it wouldn't be fun if someone discovered a method to make an infinite amount of "initial" installations just to be an asshole...

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Zkuq said:

This is crazy enough that I'm sure this has some legal basis, because there's no way Unity has not considered the legality of this. Probably the original agreement allows changes like these, and Unity has gone through the terms with a lawyer to ensure what they're doing is legal. At least that's the theory - this sounds crazy enough that I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't hold up in court.

The main issue I'm seeing so far, is that there are going to be devs who are midway through dev and then this just crops up out of nowhere (if devs had known, we would have heard of this agreement to changes made months ago). That CEO basically has the devs locked in and by the balls, metaphorically speaking. 

Something will likely come of this, but it'll probably be behind closed doors. I doubt we'll see any dev/studio coming out on Twitter to state they are getting lawyers involved (something lawyers would advise you not to do).

Oh, I absolutely agree. Despite thinking that this is probably technically legal, I still think this is a terrible move that will result in something.

theRepublic said:
mZuzek said:

Unity is by far the most popular engine among indie developers.

Indie developers.

CEOs Read the Room Challenge: impossible

The current CEO of Unity is John Riccitiello.  He was also the CEO of EA from 1997 - 2004 and again from 2007 - 2013.  You might remember that EA won the "Worst Company in America" award in back to back years in 2012 and 2013.

Yeah, this dude is terrible at his job.

Back then he brought up the idea of charging people to reload guns in Battlefield so he's a special kind of scummy.

Another gem from Riccitiello: devs who don't focus on microtransactions are "the biggest fucking idiots"
https://www.ign.com/articles/former-ea-ceo-devs-who-dont-focus-on-microtransactions-are-the-biggest-f-idiots

Zkuq said:
Chazore said:

The main issue I'm seeing so far, is that there are going to be devs who are midway through dev and then this just crops up out of nowhere (if devs had known, we would have heard of this agreement to changes made months ago). That CEO basically has the devs locked in and by the balls, metaphorically speaking. 

Something will likely come of this, but it'll probably be behind closed doors. I doubt we'll see any dev/studio coming out on Twitter to state they are getting lawyers involved (something lawyers would advise you not to do).

Oh, I absolutely agree. Despite thinking that this is probably technically legal, I still think this is a terrible move that will result in something.

Chances are high that it is both legal and binding (Unity's lawyers would have likely checked this through multiple times, but I've no idea why their lawyers did not advise to not just throw this info out so suddenly).

But either way, even with some of the backtracking Unity is doing at this moment, the damage has been done. I'm already hearing about devs who are either in dev wanting to move away to Godot/UE, some that want to flat out scrap their early projects and just move to the other two, or those left with finishing their projects to then move onto the other two engines, but all of these tells us that devs have lost trust with unity and are willing to switch to another engine (even if that means dealing with months of learning to use a different engine if you're not well versed, and for aspiring indie devs, that can be a setback).

Tbh, after seeing this all blow up so fast and so loudly, I don't really think Unity can earn the trust back. I think the damage was quite large, maybe not completely fatal, but enough damage that has caused ripples in the dev side of the industry, that it's gotten Godot to increase it's gains of public/dev attention, and of course I imagine Epic will gladly use this short window of time to advertise their engine over Unity.

If I was on a board of directors for Unity, I'd vote to have the CEO removed from position within the month. His history, despite the money he can and has made, is not worth long-term damages he has caused. It's wild to me, utterly wild how general citizens around the world can sue for defamation, yet CEO's for corps are allowed to waltz in and utterly demolish entire businesses and walk away with a golden parachute and not suffer any heavy penalties for it. 

That CEO is possibly one of the worst I have seen. I have always seen Tim Sweeney as a bit of a childish person (especially his sense of entitlement to a platform he willingly abandoned and mocked for years), but Riccitiello is just a whole other level of vile, and the link Curl posted speaks volumes of how that guy views everyone around him, devs and customers, as "fucking idiots".

No one should ever hire that man for any position of power, because he is incapable of leading anything towards long-term sustainability.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Then fuck Unity.

Thisar said:

Well, time to learn how to use godot

Godot devs right now:

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

curl-6 said:

Another gem from Riccitiello: devs who don't focus on microtransactions are "the biggest fucking idiots"
https://www.ign.com/articles/former-ea-ceo-devs-who-dont-focus-on-microtransactions-are-the-biggest-f-idiots

My response to that: Boards who hire Riccitiello as their CEO are the second-biggest fucking idiots after the man himself

Norion said:
theRepublic said:

The current CEO of Unity is John Riccitiello.  He was also the CEO of EA from 1997 - 2004 and again from 2007 - 2013.  You might remember that EA won the "Worst Company in America" award in back to back years in 2012 and 2013.

Yeah, this dude is terrible at his job.

Back then he brought up the idea of charging people to reload guns in Battlefield so he's a special kind of scummy.

To be fair, I don't think that was an actual idea, but more of a way to illustrate just how far people could potentially be pushed to spend money in the right circumstance.
But that comment, and his track record shows that he's clearly very focused on exploiting people's wallets as much as possible. He was unsurprisingly in charge of EA the year they added lootboxes to FIFA.

Last edited by Hiku - on 14 September 2023

This has the potential to kill off Unity in all but the largest projects run by already huge companies. Mid-level developers will be hurt the most with the fee, and smaller developers likely can't risk the potential cost if their game becomes a success. Many will likely simply look for other engines for their games if this decision in effect, but I wonder what'll happen to games that are already in development, and perhaps even close to release? For them the option to switch might no be possible, so the choices becoming either accepting a huge loss of revenue due to this fee, or simply cancelling them game altogether because they can't afford to release the game. Just a horrible decision, but it's not like greed is anything unexpected when it comes to corporations in the video game industry.