By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unity is going to charge for installations of games using their engine

Surprise, surprise.

https://www.eurogamer.net/unity-bosses-sold-stock-days-before-development-fees-announcement-raising-eyebrows

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Norion said:

Back then he brought up the idea of charging people to reload guns in Battlefield so he's a special kind of scummy.

To be fair, I don't think that was an actual idea, but more of a way to illustrate just how far people could potentially be pushed to spend money in the right circumstance.
But that comment, and his track record shows that he's clearly very focused on exploiting people's wallets as much as possible. He was unsurprisingly in charge of EA the year they added lootboxes to FIFA.

He's in his mid 60's so at least he's not gonna be a CEO for much longer. The sooner he retires the better.

Norion said:
Hiku said:

To be fair, I don't think that was an actual idea, but more of a way to illustrate just how far people could potentially be pushed to spend money in the right circumstance.
But that comment, and his track record shows that he's clearly very focused on exploiting people's wallets as much as possible. He was unsurprisingly in charge of EA the year they added lootboxes to FIFA.

He's in his mid 60's so at least he's not gonna be a CEO for much longer. The sooner he retires the better.

Never asked this before, but what is the general age of retirement over in the US anyway?.

Over here it seems to be climbing up to 60-65.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:

Surprise, surprise.

..not relly.

Are Unity shares freely traded and if so, where can I see the shares tank to zero in realtime?

drkohler said:
Chazore said:

Surprise, surprise.

..not relly.

Are Unity shares freely traded and if so, where can I see the shares tank to zero in realtime?

Just google Unity stock

The shares dropped from 38 to 36 when the announcement came, but that's about it so far.

Around the Network

- You are a one person dev who in hise leisure time chose to make a mobile game

-You choose to make it free to play but put some small MTX in them (0.99$ to stop ads) because well ofcourse you would like some money with it...

- After a year you get an cheque,   100k in ad revenue and MTC income, then you get an apple invoice to give them 30% cut.....

-  Surprise you also got an Unity letter.    'Dear X  We want to congratulate you for releasing an highly popular game with 4 million downloads please pay us 800.000$'...

The fact that they are seemingly doing this retroactively for games already developed and published is mindboggling and infuriating.

I hear the Sea of Stars devs are worried about this. And that game was leaked to be in Playstation Plus next month.
I was looking forward to downloading it, but now I'm not sure if I will because I feel bad about piling on to a debt that they never planned on taking on when they signed their contract.

Game Developer Explains The Unity DISASTER - YouTube

Last edited by Hiku - on 15 September 2023

Hiku said:

The fact that they are seemingly doing this retroactively for games already developed and published is mindboggling and infuriating.

I hear the Sea of Stars devs are worried about this. And that game was leaked to be in Playstation Plus next month.
I was looking forward to downloading it, but now I'm not sure if I will because I feel bad about piling on to a debt that they never planned on taking on when they signed their contract.

Game Developer Explains The Unity DISASTER - YouTube

See you can already see what effect this has on both you yourself as well as the dev. You have every right to be infuriated, because you shouldn't be put into a position of guilt for simply buying a game those devs worked on.

This is also why I want that CEO gone for good. he's been nothing but a blight on the industry, and he's clearly only ever been in it for money, much like Bobby. 

I've seen discussion around places like youtube over time, and rarely is the question asked "why aren't gamers, or those who grow up as gamers, to make their own games, why aren't they running the show?". It's not a simple question to answer, but from what I've seen over the decades, it mostly stems from the old guard refusing to make way for the new, which is why we see close friendships between the old guard that allows someone like-minded to take their place.

But that will change over time though. The old bean counters will eventually be replaced with those who know games well, rather than simply those who know only how to squeeze you dry of your money (though this also paves the way for mobile devs to also grow and lead the charge, and the majority of those are all about just making money, and I've always seen mobile gaming as a form of threat to core gaming, due to it's practices that influenced what we're seeing in core gaming today).

Zkuq said:
Chazore said:

This makes me wonder now if lawyers could get involved, because devs signed for these some yrs back, not for what is currently happening now, which will obviously take a hit to their finances, and they did not originally agree to this (because it was never there until recently). 

This is crazy enough that I'm sure this has some legal basis, because there's no way Unity has not considered the legality of this. Probably the original agreement allows changes like these, and Unity has gone through the terms with a lawyer to ensure what they're doing is legal. At least that's the theory - this sounds crazy enough that I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't hold up in court.

Given the way Unity has already backtracked on so much of this, it really seems like they didn't put much thought into it.  It seems like a top down decision that they are trying to make work, but the specifics in implementation are way more complicated than they anticipated.  There is no way that unilaterally changing the contracts with no consideration given to the other party is legal.  I guarantee we are going to see lawsuits about this unless they completely reverse course.  I already heard talk of a class action lawsuit.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:

Given the way Unity has already backtracked on so much of this, it really seems like they didn't put much thought into it.  It seems like a top down decision that they are trying to make work, but the specifics in implementation are way more complicated than they anticipated.  There is no way that unilaterally changing the contracts with no consideration given to the other party is legal.  I guarantee we are going to see lawsuits about this unless they completely reverse course.  I already heard talk of a class action lawsuit.

There's just no way Unity's own lawyers couldn't have gone through this process at least once, even if it was just skim. it'd be financial suicide for none of their legal team to go over this and just let it go through unchecked.

If they didn't, and a class action lawsuit goes through, they will be thoroughly screwed, no matter how many times they try to read over what was originally planned vs what they backtracked on.

It looks like the backtracking going on atm is due to the sheer backlash they are getting, but who knows, it could very well be their legal team urging them to pull back fast, before any loopholes are busted open by approaching lawsuits (which would be impossible to close once someone gets that foot in the door amidst all this backtracking).