By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unity is going to charge for installations of games using their engine

theRepublic said:
Zkuq said:

This is crazy enough that I'm sure this has some legal basis, because there's no way Unity has not considered the legality of this. Probably the original agreement allows changes like these, and Unity has gone through the terms with a lawyer to ensure what they're doing is legal. At least that's the theory - this sounds crazy enough that I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't hold up in court.

Given the way Unity has already backtracked on so much of this, it really seems like they didn't put much thought into it.  It seems like a top down decision that they are trying to make work, but the specifics in implementation are way more complicated than they anticipated.  There is no way that unilaterally changing the contracts with no consideration given to the other party is legal.  I guarantee we are going to see lawsuits about this unless they completely reverse course.  I already heard talk of a class action lawsuit.

Apparently they modified their terms in April or so, if I recall correctly, to allow this, and I guess most publishers/developers have accepted those terms without really thinking about it too much. Either way, I'm 99% certain their terms allow this kind of stuff since some date 'well' in the past.

Around the Network

The plot continues:

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

When I read Riccitiello's bio, I couldn't help to think about Steve Job's lost interview. Watch it from 25:51 [there should be a timestamp in the link below], for about 3-ish minutes 

and then check his Wiki page under "Career" [first sentence]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Riccitiello

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 15 September 2023

Kristof81 said:

When I read Riccitiello's bio, I couldn't help to think about Steve Job's lost interview. Watch it from 25:51 [there should be a timestamp in the link below], for about 3-ish minutes 

and then check his Wiki page under "Career" [first sentence]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Riccitiello

I saw Pepsico in the video and the wiki and just..

I gotta know, how did you manage to make that connection with the lost interview?. The timing matches up near perfectly with John's career history. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 15 September 2023

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So what is their justification for doing this on a per install basis? Instead of copies sold?
The developer/publisher is not getting more revenue because I un-installed and then re-installed their game again, so I don't get the idea behind this.

Around the Network

Apparently, according to Unity, console+PC isn't as important to them rev-wise compared to mobile:

I get that mobile gaming>Console+PC gaming in terms of revenue, but even seeing an engine maker acting this way towards the two platforms is not helping. It's like a bunch of boomers are still on this warped tirade of "console/POC gaming is dead/dying".

Do they seriously think that mobile gaming companies won't also simply shift their unity engine to another one after the deal they announced ?

It'll be fun to review how this new policy will have affected them after a full year of this idiocy

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:

Do they seriously think that mobile gaming companies won't also simply shift their unity engine to another one after the deal they announced ?

It'll be fun to review how this new policy will have affected them after a full year of this idiocy

For some reason they seem somewhat confident that mobile devs will still rely heavily on ads paying for the fees, and that they see consoles/pc as the ones not to care about if they leave, but there is nothing to stop mobile devs from doing the same and simply pulling away from Unity.

It's just daft that an engine maker views two thirds of it's consumer base as "pointless/non important", when you consider just how many games come out on both platforms using their engine, and the uproar this has caused and erupted from devs on those two platforms (if this was from mobile devs only, we'd know about it by now, but this mostly stems from those making games for console/PC). 

Mar1217 said:

Yeah, this policy hurts mobile developers more than anyone.  So many of those games are free to install.  There is a good chance we see games taken down off of stores before this goes into effect.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Unity finally apologize and say they'll be "making changes" to the policy:

Hopefully devs keep the pressure on them and they walk back its nastier components entirely.