By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Switch Online Overview Trailer

Is the current Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack worth it yet?

I had it day 1 6 18.75%

I recently purchased it 4 12.50%

I still need more content 11 34.38%

I have no interest at all 11 34.38%

Total:32

The only thing I am interested in are the retro games. But I refuse to pay for those each and every month when I already own them and bought them countless times again and again. So I will be playing those on just about every device I own, from my smartphone to my PC or the hopefully soon arriving Steam Deck, but not on the Switch. I want Virtual Console back. I just want go get the titles I like. Subscriptions suck ass.

That said, I also barely use the standard online subscription. The only reason I am paying for that is that I want to use cloud saves so I can seamlessly switch between my three switch consoles. A feature that is free on steam, btw. =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

I mean, it's great that we're getting all these classic games with official controllers, and online play for these classic games, as well as Nintendo actually fixing the emulation issues, but at the same time, Nintendo still isn't justifying having a paid for "online" service. We had free multiplayer gaming for yeeeeears! But now with NSO, not only do we have to pay for multiplayer, but not all Nintendo's games support cloud saves, the online infrastructure is ancient (NEX) with a very slow rollout towards their new online system (NPLN) which as a side note, even the upcoming Nintendo Switch Sports still uses the old online system while Monster Hunter Rise and Pokemon Legends: Arceus are the only 2 games that use the new online system. And NSO is still missing basic online features like a proper messaging system, a friends list that's easy to manage, party-chat functionality, and a unified way to invite players to your game.

And just throwing more and more retro games doesn't make your "online" service any better or justify its existence in the first place.

I may get the expansion pack later this year just because I'm admin of a family plan and several are interested in it alongside the MK8D DLC, but don't want to make the jump just yet either. We'll hold out and see what Nintendo does to both improve the online service in general, and to see what additional content gets added.

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 21 March 2022

Vodacixi said:

Not worth it. I absolutely despise AC and although I love Mario Kart, I don't want to lose my access to the DLC based on a 50 dolars suscription

Moreover, I don't care about Megadrive/Genesis at all and I can count with one hand the N64 games I want to play on the Switch... of which just one is on the system right now and many won't be put at all (the Pokémon Stadium games for example).

If they put GBA/GBC games I MIGHT consider getting the expansion pass. But as it is right now, is not worth it at all.

Someone despising Animal Crossing. How is that even possible? I mean, not to like it, or to be not interested, I totally understand, but to despise it. Man, it must have done something really bad to you. 

They need to add GameCube or Wii games (ideally both) for me to get interested. That or Switch games in a similar manner to PS Plus and Xbox Live Gold.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I recently purchased the Expansion Pack, however I only paid 16$ for it compared to 50$ through purchasing a family membership on Ebay. I'm not willing to spend 50$ for this service with very few N64 & Genesis games at the moment, however 16$ was a price i was willing to spend for it. If you guys want the Expansion pack without paying 50$ I recommend just looking on ebay to spend only 16$ for a family membership slot, its far cheaper.

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
Vodacixi said:

Not worth it. I absolutely despise AC and although I love Mario Kart, I don't want to lose my access to the DLC based on a 50 dolars suscription

Moreover, I don't care about Megadrive/Genesis at all and I can count with one hand the N64 games I want to play on the Switch... of which just one is on the system right now and many won't be put at all (the Pokémon Stadium games for example).

If they put GBA/GBC games I MIGHT consider getting the expansion pass. But as it is right now, is not worth it at all.

Someone despising Animal Crossing. How is that even possible? I mean, not to like it, or to be not interested, I totally understand, but to despise it. Man, it must have done something really bad to you. 

Tom Nook burned my house and killed my cat (?) 

Nah, maybe I overreacted. I don't hate it... But for some reason when I dislike something that is very popular I want to make it VERY clear. 

Let's just say I'm not a fan xD

It's not worth it. The N64 emulator is still worse than others available and you can play ony a small amount of titles instead of buying/playing the ones you like.

You lose almost all Animal Crossing and Mario Kart DLC content as soon as you quit the subscription.

The only reason I would pay more for the online service would be dedicated servers. Mario Kart and Splatoon just suck online with all the lag and P2P connection. On the other hand, Rocket League and Ninjala are fun to play online because of dedicated servers they use.

TomaTito said:

Since they don't want to add retail or downloadable titles yet, they should add their previous DLCs to make the package more enticing: BotW DLC, SMBU Fighter passes, Splatoon 2: Octo expansion, or even now Monster Hunter Sunbreak.

Looks like they listened

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/246146/splatoon-3-comes-out-on-september-9th-and-octo-expansion-is-added-to-nso-expansion-pack/

BotW next

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

One question about the DLC included in the NSO expansion pack. Do you keep the DLC even if the subscription expires?

As for the question in the poll, I'm still waiting, but if GB/GBC/GBA games get added, I might get tempted to get a family subscription.

GoOnKid said:

The value is certainly there for me. The biggest complaint I see is the price but then why not just use the family deals?

Because nobody else in my family has a Switch.