By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 3 comes out on September 9th and Octo Expansion is added to NSO Expansion Pack

Tagged games:

Nintendo released a new trailer for Splatoon 3 where they revealed that it will be coming out on September 9th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkz-PjCQjWk&ab_channel=Nintendo

They also announced that the Octo Expansion for Splatoon 2 is now added to the NSO expansion pack:

Last edited by deerox - on 22 April 2022

Around the Network

Awesome!

Btw it's called Octo Expansion, not Octopath.

Kakadu18 said:

Awesome!

Btw it's called Octo Expansion, not Octopath.

Right. My mind crossed some wires.

So that's the reason why Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was preponed to July.

At first sight at the new trailer you could think that you're watching Splatoon 2. Many things are copied into Splatoon 3. I hope there's enough new and interesting things that justify a successor.

siebensus4 said:

At first sight at the new trailer you could think that you're watching Splatoon 2. Many things are copied into Splatoon 3. I hope there's enough new and interesting things that justify a successor.

Literally all the specials and the music are new. It only looks like Splatoon 2 if you haven't played Splatoon 2. I've also noticed some new outfits and haircuts.

Edit: Also the sqawn points work completely different.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 22 April 2022

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
siebensus4 said:

Literally all the specials and the music are new. It only looks like Splatoon 2 if you haven't played Splatoon 2. I've also noticed some new outfits and haircuts.

True, but it immediately comes off to me as something that could've been part of a DLC update rather than a full priced new game. Kind of like Overwatch and Overwatch 2.

I wonder if the single player campaign will be much more fleshed out this time that they're just not showing! The first 2 games campaigns kinda felt more like advanced tutorials just getting you ready for multiplayer

Was kinda hoping it was gonna be August, (or July before Xenoblade 3 was dated for then) but it's still nice to finally have a concrete date, and the game itself look just as awesome as the first two, can't wait! :)

I remember in the run up to Splatoon 2 hearing takes about how it's "not a proper sequel" or "just Splatoon 1.5" despite it having a new campaign, new hub, new graphics, new music, new modes, new weapons, new maps, and pretty much everything else that constitutes a sequel for this kind of game.

I really don't get the negativity towards the Splatoon sequels in this regard.
Yes, they're iterative, evolutionary rather than revolutionary, but that goes for the majority of sequels in gaming.
Not every game in a series has to reinvent the wheel, sometimes it's enough to just give people more of what we like.

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

I remember in the run up to Splatoon 2 hearing takes about how it's "not a proper sequel" or "just Splatoon 1.5" despite it having a new campaign, new hub, new graphics, new music, new modes, new weapons, new maps, and pretty much everything else that constitutes a sequel for this kind of game.

I really don't get the negativity towards the Splatoon sequels in this regard.
Yes, they're iterative, evolutionary rather than revolutionary, but that goes for the majority of sequels in gaming.
Not every game in a series has to reinvent the wheel, sometimes it's enough to just give people more of what we like.

It made sense for 2 to be iterative because Nintendo obviously wanted Splatoon on the Switch and that meant less time to make a different game, instead they could take everything from the first one and refine into a much better sequel and add a lot more content. It was totally fine for what it was.

Now it's just like... everyone expected this to be a once-per-generation series like Smash or Mario Kart. Both of which are series whose games are pretty different from each other, while still retaining the basics and essence of what makes them what they are. No one is asking Nintendo to make an open-world Splatoon, just that they could put some ambition into it.

It saddens me because I really love Splatoon but a lot of that love came from how promising it was as an IP and now it feels like its potential is being wasted.

I personally just don't feel like Splatoon 3 needs to be like Mario Kart or Smash. 

It has a new setting, new campaign, new gameplay mechanics/weapons/maps, new music and presentation, quite possibly still more additions we don't know about yet.

It's a sequel in the vein of something like the Uncharted or Halo sequels, or most franchises in gaming, and to me that's okay.

There's room for both once-per-console games that reinvent themselves with each entry, and those that refine and improve a proven formula. 

mZuzek said:
Kakadu18 said:

Edit: Also the sqawn points work completely different.

I played Splatoon 2 and think 3 looks just like it. Like obviously it has its differences, like the ones you pointed out, but it still seems like the same "base" game, same engine, same physics, same movement, and probably a lot of the same weapons, stages and assets in general. Maybe about as big a difference as between 1 and 2, which was passable back then because of the short time between them, now it's just... Feels like the series is stagnant already, and reluctant to take a step forward in any meaningful way. Feels like Nintendo's Call of Duty really.

I heavily disagree. There seem to be additions to how you move when in squid form. The arenas will all be new or heavily changed, they have to be because of how the spawn points work. It wouldn't work with 2's arenas. The arenas we've seen so far are in their general design vastly different from those in Splatoon 2. In that game there are many narrow corridors and a bigger open space in the middle. The arenas we've seen so far are very openly structured and seem more compact, which will lead to more direct combat in turf war and less oportunities to hide.

The new specials on their own will already change the dynamic anyways together with new weapons like the bow. Add to that a new UI, new and way better victory screen, medals that might suggest something along the line of achievements, a new and likely more detailed hub and a changed up salmon run. Obviously there will also be at least one new mode in ranked. And all that's not even mentioning the new single player. And it also has better graphics.

But of course you can say it looks just like the other two Splatoon games because there are inklings, ink and guns. Right, and every single realistic first person shooter looks exactly the same. Battlefield 1 looks just like CoD: WWII because there are men running around with guns. Let's just ignore all the differences.

This Splatoon 3 gameplay looks nothing like the previous two Splatoon games. It will feel very different, that's obvious to me. It would need to literally not be a shooter anymore to be more different. They changed everything that can be changed while retaining what makes it a Splatoon game.

To quote a guy from the Nintendolife comment section:

One of the most brazenly inventive shooters of the last decade gets a third release in 7 years and its right to exist is questioned.

Most other shooting franchises get beige annual sequels and nobody bats an eye.

Instead of tinkering around the edges by changing the world, weapons, mechanics, story, etc. why didn’t they change the…

I’m not sure what else you’re supposed to change, but why didn’t they change that!?

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 23 April 2022