By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Switch Online Overview Trailer

Is the current Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack worth it yet?

I had it day 1 6 18.75%

I recently purchased it 4 12.50%

I still need more content 11 34.38%

I have no interest at all 11 34.38%

Total:32

Nintendo Switch Online has different terms terms of service and conditions to popular streaming platforms.
Different company offering a very different service.

Around the Network

Honestly... Everything that is featured on the Switch Online service I would rather pay a lump sum and keep forever.
I would be happy to pay $80 AUD for a Switch cart with 25 SNES games for example.

It's one thing to pay for online access, but when the servers go offline eventually, we will loose all this content, permanently... And as a collector, that doesn't sit with me.
At-least with Xbox Live Gold we keep the Original Xbox and Xbox 360 games forever... But not the Xbox One/Series games.

Plus isn't there enough subscriptions in the world?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Kakadu18 said:

I just checked the website and it doesn't say anything about the members of a family subscription having to be an actual family or live in one household. Nothing of the sort is said anywhere. It just says that up to eight accounts can be part of it.

So Nintendo is using the Vin Diesel definition of "family"?

Currently Nintendo doesn't explicitely include or explicitely exclude other people than blood relatives as "family members" of a "family group".

So even if they tolerate it for now, they can alter the deal in the future and exclude non-relatives.

It's a grey area, just like emulating your bought games on other hardware.

Conina said:
GoOnKid said:

Friends are fine, too. Three of the seven other people in my family group are friends of my cousin, and I never spoke to them in person and have no clue who they even are. They still pay their share every year and that's all that matters.

It's a family membership, not a family & friends & strangers membership.

See below.

IcaroRibeiro said:
GoOnKid said:

Friends are fine, too. Three of the seven other people in my family group are friends of my cousin, and I never spoke to them in person and have no clue who they even are. They still pay their share every year and that's all that matters.

Why everyone point fingers when people pirate game but are okay with breaking the terms of subscription services that clearly state they are for members of families who live at the same house? Not only with games, but people do this all time with streaming services 

Not judging, because I really don't care, merely curious because I fail to understand the reasoning behind such distinction 

See below.

Kakadu18 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Why everyone point fingers when people pirate game but are okay with breaking the terms of subscription services that clearly state they are for members of families who live at the same house? Not only with games, but people do this all time with streaming services 

Not judging, because I really don't care, merely curious because I fail to understand the reasoning behind such distinction 

It doesn't matter if they pay the bill. Pirating is literal theft, that's when you don't pay the bill.

Exactly. The only requirement is a Nintendo ID. The thing is called family plan but the actual members don't have to be related. Imagine if that was indeed a requirement, how would Nintendo even be able to check that? Should it be mandated to queue in birth documents and family trees? Imagine the outcry. Imagine the bureaucracy. Please guys, don't make this bigger than it really is. Like Kakadu18 said, this is not piracy at all because I pay the entire 70€ every year, and it is my obligation to make sure the members pay me back their share. How is that supposed to be piracy when the base transaction is still functioning and all terms and conditions are met? Instead, why don't you guys just run with it and accept that it is indeed a pretty convenient way to cut the price down.

Switch Online Expansion definitely seems worth it now. It's now got AC + MK + Sp2 DLCs on there. There are 25 Genesis games now and the N64 list is starting to look pretty decent now as they add a game a month. Plus the crappy N64 emulation it launched with seems to have been largely or entirely fixed at this point.

I'll probably pick up the Expansion Pack this summer. New MK8 tracks, online play for Switch games, all the NES + SNES games, plus now a pretty good library of N64 + Genesis games make it well worth it for the cheap $50/year. And over the course of the initial year long subscription obviously the N64 and Genesis libraries will expand a bunch.

I just got a new router that will actually let me play Switch games online (old router had a bad NAT type that wouldn't allow me to play Switch games online so I haven't had subscribed the past couple years) so now that I would be able to play both the retro games and Switch games online it's an easy choice to get it. Just gotta finish BotW first as that is taking up all my gaming time right now.