By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Nearly Outsells Switch - Global Hardware Sep 26 to Oct 2

I would temper expectations of OLED's launch week primarily due to the fact we're still in a global chip crunch so there will be hard limits on how many units Nintendo can physically make and ship.
We already know for instance that they're holding lotteries at major retailers in Japan because demand outstrips supply.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I would temper expectations of OLED's launch week primarily due to the fact we're still in a global chip crunch so there will be hard limits on how many units Nintendo can physically make and ship.
We already know for instance that they're holding lotteries at major retailers in Japan because demand outstrips supply.

We will have a good idea when Famitsu report the Japanese figures. Numbers were apparently really good in the UK.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Slownenberg said:

Oh wow almost made it on its last chance. Can't wait to see Switch sales skyrocket next week and stay high till end of the year. Could Switch sales triple next week??

Triple is about what I would expect, but that is without any numbers yet. Famitsu will release Japan numbers on Friday and it looks like it had a big launch in the UK. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Norion said:

251k being the lowest week for the Switch this year would be really impressive and above the lowest week of 2020 which was 230k. Though it's possible adjustments in a few weeks could push it lower than that. Also the Xbox Series X/S is doing pretty well right now, if it's performance in the Americas was PS5 level it could be getting weeks close to 200k.

Xbox Series X|S have generally stayed around 60% to 65% of PS5 sales each week. This is much better than last generation when the Xbox One was selling like 40% to 45% of PS4.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I would temper expectations of OLED's launch week primarily due to the fact we're still in a global chip crunch so there will be hard limits on how many units Nintendo can physically make and ship.
We already know for instance that they're holding lotteries at major retailers in Japan because demand outstrips supply.

We will have a good idea when Famitsu report the Japanese figures. Numbers were apparently really good in the UK.

Good news, I look forward to Famitsu's numbers this Friday and global figures next week.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

We will have a good idea when Famitsu report the Japanese figures. Numbers were apparently really good in the UK.

Good news, I look forward to Famitsu's numbers this Friday and global figures next week.

I am guessing we will see sales in the 700K to 800K range, but that is without any numbers available yet. Switch Lite boosted Switch sales from 247,325 to 593,282 units in its launch week. Switch Lite and OLED both launched on a Friday.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

That was a close one.
Can't see the PS5 coming that close again until next year.



trunkswd said:
Norion said:

251k being the lowest week for the Switch this year would be really impressive and above the lowest week of 2020 which was 230k. Though it's possible adjustments in a few weeks could push it lower than that. Also the Xbox Series X/S is doing pretty well right now, if it's performance in the Americas was PS5 level it could be getting weeks close to 200k.

Xbox Series X|S have generally stayed around 60% to 65% of PS5 sales each week. This is much better than last generation when the Xbox One was selling like 40% to 45% of PS4.

If that ratio stays the same and number of consoles between the two is similar to previous gens we would see about a 70m/100m split. The former is a big if though.



Norion said:
trunkswd said:

Xbox Series X|S have generally stayed around 60% to 65% of PS5 sales each week. This is much better than last generation when the Xbox One was selling like 40% to 45% of PS4.

If that ratio stays the same and number of consoles between the two is similar to previous gens we would see about a 70m/100m split. The former is a big if though.

I'd be shocked if PS5 sells as low as 100m. Even with supply constraints it's outpacing the PS4, I see no reason at this point why it would sell less lifetime. I expect the PS + Xbox base will grow this gen to accommodate two systems both hotter than their predecessors.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Norion said:

If that ratio stays the same and number of consoles between the two is similar to previous gens we would see about a 70m/100m split. The former is a big if though.

I'd be shocked if PS5 sells as low as 100m. Even with supply constraints it's outpacing the PS4, I see no reason at this point why it would sell less lifetime. I expect the PS + Xbox base will grow this gen to accommodate two systems both hotter than their predecessors.

PS4 had everything to win, now I feel scalpers and limited supply are pushing everything to sell to the limit. I can see Xbox selling better than last gen but not PS5 when everything calm down. I expect this gen to sell better than their predecessors too.