By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is monster hunter rise going to be the best selling 3rd party game ever on a Nintendo console

Tagged games:

Now at 5m

https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e210405.html

Tbh 10m is not out of reach for Rise as it'll at least match the sales of the portable games in Japan (4-5m) which with the current known breakdown of Japan having 2m sales from the initial 4m that would put sales comfortably hitting 6m before we even factor in what it'll hit outside of Japan, I can see Rise hitting 5m or more in Japan due to how this time around Capcom won't cut its legs with frequent releases like with the portable games all additional content will be DLC and expansions meaning the base game has to be bought.

The added benefit of housing both the console and portable fanbase will also help hit higher sales I can see this being the best selling third party on Switch at least, second best will be DQXII when ever that arrives.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 04 April 2021

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Otter said:

Do you really believe you can just interchange GTA and Mario Kart with other 3rd party titles? Also MK8 isn't really a port up, its very much in line with Switches performance profile and what people expect games on the platform to look like.

They wouldn't be the best selling games on PS4/Xbone/Switch if porting up was really harmful to sales. And MK8 is a Wii U game, Wii U is significantly weaker than the Switch, it's a port up. If they made, say, a Resident Evil game for Switch, then ported it up to PS/Xbox/PC, that would absolutely sell as long as it was a quality game. Obviously which way you convert would vary on a game by game basis, but there's absolutely merit to making Switch the lead platform for certain third party games.

Resident Evil is a good example, as it happened before. RE:Revelations was made for the 3DS, but a port more than a year later on PS3 sold almost as well. If it would've been ported at the same time, not a year later, it probably would've done better.

I also think if Monster Hunter Rise is ported to more powerful platforms it will do well, as it is a great game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Possible. The immediate sales are highly impressive. But I see Monster Hunter as a much more front-loaded game than something like Just Dance.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

It now pretty much only has to double the sales of its first 10 days in its lifetime to reach Just Dance 3; it would have to be very front-loaded to fail to do that.

Darwinianevolution said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Whoa there, the Switch DOESN'T have potential, that's the core issue.  Its weak hardware requires serious focus and effort to downscale and optimize to a level that is often below the very lowest settings of the sliders in their graphics engines.  Nintendo will always struggle with 3rd parties, especially now that the power gap between the XSX and Switch is THE biggest power gap in modern gaming history.

The fact that Capcom took the risk is why I applaud Capcom.  They have the money, the know-how, and the resources, and they invested.  It's not about the Switch's potential, it's about the investment by the developer.  Ergo, I do not applaud the Switch or see the Switch in a better light because of MHRise, I applaud Capcom and see Capcom in a better light because of MHRise (though I already tweeted awhile back that Capcom has silently but swiftly become a world-class top dev with lots of new games, good remakes, and ports coming to every platform).

Potential is not the same as power. Most of the time the most powerful console of the generation loses against a weaker competitor (N64 lost against the PS1, XBox and GC lost against the PS2, PS3 and 360 lost against the Wii, Sega Game Gear lost against the Game Boy, the PSP lost against the DS...).The Switch is selling a lot through practically 1st party effords alone, with very few 3rd party heavy hitters outside Just Dance, Monster Hunter and Minecraft. Until the PS5/XBoxX manage to catch up (which is going to take years), the Switch is going to be the biggest platform for console gaming by far, and yet we've seen little attention from most 3rd parties.

It's pretty crazy how insanely successful Switch is (will at worst be 3rd best selling system ever) given that MH Rise is literally the very first entirely third party AAA game that is actually built for the Switch instead of being some really old port or arriving a couple years late (DQXI) or somewhat old downgrade from current home systems. Literally, the only one, and Switch just passed its fourth birthday! Switch has blown away the competition and has a great library despite the fact that the big games in the library are essentially all first party and indies. Imagine if third parties actually put together a team or two each to build AAA games for a system that will very soon be over 100 million systems sold and is by far the hottest thing in the industry.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Potential is not the same as power. Most of the time the most powerful console of the generation loses against a weaker competitor (N64 lost against the PS1, XBox and GC lost against the PS2, PS3 and 360 lost against the Wii, Sega Game Gear lost against the Game Boy, the PSP lost against the DS...).The Switch is selling a lot through practically 1st party effords alone, with very few 3rd party heavy hitters outside Just Dance, Monster Hunter and Minecraft. Until the PS5/XBoxX manage to catch up (which is going to take years), the Switch is going to be the biggest platform for console gaming by far, and yet we've seen little attention from most 3rd parties.

It's pretty crazy how insanely successful Switch is (will at worst be 3rd best selling system ever) given that MH Rise is literally the very first entirely third party AAA game that is actually built for the Switch instead of being some really old port or arriving a couple years late (DQXI) or somewhat old downgrade from current home systems. Literally, the only one, and Switch just passed its fourth birthday! Switch has blown away the competition and has a great library despite the fact that the big games in the library are essentially all first party and indies. Imagine if third parties actually put together a team or two each to build AAA games for a system that will very soon be over 100 million systems sold and is by far the hottest thing in the industry.

I’ve been around here since the Wii days, don’t get your hopes up. 

When it comes to Nintendo, other game studios are compleatley retarded and then blame their failure on Nintendo. 

Spindel said:
Slownenberg said:

When it comes to Nintendo, other game studios are compleatley retarded and then blame their failure on Nintendo. 

No I wasn't saying third parties will. I've been playing Nintendo since the NES, and watched it go from the dominant third party systems to an afterthought no matter how well Nintendo systems sell. I fully expect third parties to continue to go purely for the most expensive pretty graphics games and thus allow Nintendo to continue to completely dominant the software scene on Nintendo systems. It just has always surprised me that third parties never came back to Nintendo systems. It's very plain that if they put the same effort into Nintendo systems as they do Sony/Microsoft they would be richly rewarded for it, but they never do, which MH Rise makes pretty clear as the first AAA third party game made from the ground up for the Switch coming just after Switch's fourth birthday.

I think third parties have just gotten it beaten into them that the only way to stand out is to not make good and interesting games, but to make games with the best graphics. And so they've created a market for exactly that on the other two systems. Lots of cookie cutter sequels with top notch graphics fill the top sellers lists on Sony/Microsoft, and they ignore Nintendo's massive success because third parties no longer know how to sell games that aren't just "hey look at our graphics".

Spindel said:
Slownenberg said:

Yeah... game go bad on PS it's developer fault, go bad on Nintendo it's Nintendo fault. 

Spindel said:
Slownenberg said:

Even compared to the Wii days I think devs could put in a little more effort as far as actual new games. 

Wii may not have gotten as many contemporary ports as Switch due to being more dated relative to its rivals, but it did have a fair few good third party games built from the ground up for it; the Goldeneye 007 remake, Sonic Colours, Red Steel 2, de Blob 1 & 2, Epic Mickey, Dead Space Extraction, and of course Monster Hunter Tri.

Spindel said:
Slownenberg said:

I wouldn't say they are retarded, you have to look at it from their perspective and take in the type of games they historically make, and also the synergies they get from developing across what is now closer than ever to having 3 PC type platforms with an audience that dwarfs the Switches numbers fantastic as they are.

Now To my Utopian fantasies that doesn't mean they can't do better but that goes both ways, an example would be taking into consideration when developing a continuation or a new AAA game firstly is it's scope adaptable to a Switch version and if it's feasible in terms of costs, then we should prioritise developing the Switch version alongside the others not as a later port. also are we going to take a long term approach where we cut back on the usual over inflated projections, so the future benefits of our longer term aims of establishing our IP/IPs on Switch or future Nintendo consoles take priority and remember along with those  future benefits comes the increased chance of having meaningful dialogue that can lead to positive outcomes for both sides going forward.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 06 April 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot