By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is monster hunter rise going to be the best selling 3rd party game ever on a Nintendo console

Tagged games:

Otter said:
dx11332sega said:

It'll easily outsell it MHW is easy to circumvent , and I'm gonna reiterate it too sort of , Switch userbase is twice if not more than PS4 already.

Compared to PS4's userbase in 2018 when world launched, probably 3x lol

Sales for PS4 when MHW released in Japan were 6.18 million units, so it was more than 3x lol.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Agente42 said:

COD, Final Fantasy, GTA, Red Dead, Skyrim. What else surpasses 10M sales in a single SKU, third party?

The multiplatform way carries an illusion of big sales, but in the better case scenario, are divided by 2. 

PS4 has 7 physical games with this metric.

It's not easy to archive 

No Final Fantasy ever sold 10mil in a single SKU.

The original PS1 final fantasy VII - 10.02 (this is not counting, PC, PSN, xbox, NS etc

我是广州人

Ashadelo said:
Kakadu18 said:

No Final Fantasy ever sold 10mil in a single SKU.

The original PS1 final fantasy VII - 10.02 (this is not counting, PC, PSN, xbox, NS etc

Oh ok, I didn't know that.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Jumpin said:

Monster Hunter 4 sold 8.3 million on 3DS. I’d say this has a very good chance of exceeding that.

But if we’re talking 3rd party developed software, there are many games developed by third parties that have sold over 15 million on Nintendo consoles. Of course, most of these are published or co-published by Nintendo. While technically third party games, they’re colloquially called “second party” - which actually isn’t a real thing since the second party is technically the buyer in a transaction; and third parties are creators of any component outside the first party to add to the item being sold. 

But even Pokémon games aren’t true “second party” games either, since they’re only co-published by Nintendo.

You're correct that 2nd party doesn't really exist in the industry, but what actually solidifies if a game is first party or not isn't publishing rights or who developed the game, it's IP control. 

Nintendo confirmed this when they listed Astral Chain explicitly as a first party IP even before owning the entire IP. If you own a controlling share (which Nintendo do because they own parts of the other companies invested in Pokemon) or half or more of an IP, it's first party to Nintendo. So yes, in this scenario, Just Dance 3 is the best selling third party. 

Pokemon is owned by the Pokemon company. While Nintendo does own a piece of it, it's 32%, not a controlling share.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Well, Rise debuted in Japan with 1.3M copies sold at retail, about on par with World (MC had World at 1.25M, while Famitsu had it at 1.35M). Apparently, with digital sales it's close to 2M, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. Where it will end up will depend on its legs. But 3M is definitely a shoo-in.

Now to see how well it does in the rest of the world.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

Well, Rise debuted in Japan with 1.3M copies sold at retail, about on par with World (MC had World at 1.25M, while Famitsu had it at 1.35M). Apparently, with digital sales it's close to 2M, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. Where it will end up will depend on its legs. But 3M is definitely a shoo-in.

Now to see how well it does in the rest of the world.

Apparently it had 94% sell in first week? What was the sell through of titles like Smash and Sword and Shield their first week? 

Also where is the information saying 2 million with digital?

I think it's more a matter of "should" then if it will or not. Capcom actually made genuine effort, and basically no third party does that for Nintendo anymore because of how far behind their hardware is (thus, it basically always requires genuine effort to do). I think it SHOULD become the best selling 3rd party game in the Switch.

I also did skip two pages, so if someone said that, just know I'm agreeing with you lmao

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Apparently it had 94% sell in first week? What was the sell through of titles like Smash and Sword and Shield their first week? 

Also where is the information saying 2 million with digital?

Check the Media Create/Famitsu thread on Era.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

ZyroXZ2 said:

I think it's more a matter of "should" then if it will or not. Capcom actually made genuine effort, and basically no third party does that for Nintendo anymore because of how far behind their hardware is (thus, it basically always requires genuine effort to do). I think it SHOULD become the best selling 3rd party game in the Switch.

Pretty much, it is easily the most effort any third party has put into a Switch game to date; a genuine blockbuster built from the ground up for the hardware with the kind of production values generally reserved for Playstation/Xbox/PC titles.

Not to mention it's comfortably the best game on the system since Breath of the Wild.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 April 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

ZyroXZ2 said:

I also did skip two pages, so if someone said that, just know I'm agreeing with you lmao

I'm real glad you skipped two pages it saves me editing all those defamatory remarks.. oops!! I meant those educational examples of why you shouldn't skip posts.