By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: New Switch Model With Larger OLED Display And 4K Docked. Production Begins In June.

The part I really doubt is the OLED screen. The Vita is the only dedicated handheld that ever had one, and it was changed to LCD in the 2000 (Slim).

OLED tech seems like money Nintendo doesn't want to spend. But on the other hand, Nintendo has a lot of assets. They could more than afford a 7-inch OLED screen.

The question is with the better specs and screen, what would the price be? Probably $300 and the other Switch models get a price cut. Or maybe Nintendo makes the bold choice of charging $350.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

The part I really doubt is the OLED screen. The Vita is the only dedicated handheld that ever had one, and it was changed to LCD in the 2000 (Slim).

OLED tech seems like money Nintendo doesn't want to spend. But on the other hand, Nintendo has a lot of assets. They could more than afford a 7-inch OLED screen.

The question is with the better specs and screen, what would the price be? Probably $300 and the other Switch models get a price cut. Or maybe Nintendo makes the bold choice of charging $350.

OLED stuff has dropped in price a tremendous amount since the Vita days.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Wman1996 said:

The Vita was released almost a decade ago. The cost for an OLED screen isn't near as high now. Plus, if this report is accurate, they are going a cheaper rigid screen.

Isn't this just a bigger, better screen with HDMI 2.0 port?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Why most here think that a beefy upgrade isn't possible/doesn't make sense? In my opinion it makes perfect sense. Nintendo said many times that they aim for a long lifecycle (after they saw the massive success). But what is a long Nintendo-lifecycle? The longest home console lifecycle (before the successor arrived) was the NES in Japan with 7 1/3 years (Jul 1983 - Nov 1990) and the longest handheld lifecycle was the Game Boy with 12 years (1989 - 2001). In comparison, Xbox 360 and PS3 were generally perceived has having a very long lifecycle with 8 resp. 7 years (2005/2006 - 2013). Xbox One and PS4 followed up with 7 years (2013 - 2020). On the handheld side, the PS Portable had also a lifecycle of 7 years (2004-2011). The most successful home console, so far, the PS2, had a lifecycle of 6 2/3 years (Mar 2000 - Nov 2006) and the most successful handheld, so far, the Nintendo DS, had a lifecycle of 6 1/4 years in Japan (Nov. 2004 - Feb 2011).

Listing all the above, it is fair to say that Nintendo is aiming for at least a 7 year lifecycle of the Nintendo Switch until a true successor comes out. Most probably, they aim even further, to a 8/9 year lifecycle. It is often said that the Switch sells more in line like a Nintendo handheld than a Nintendo home console. What did Nintendo do again with their most successful handheld, the Game Boy? Ah right, they came out with a major upgrade, the Game Boy Color to extend the lifecycle of the Game Boy tremendously. Of course, Pokémon was the main invigoration but the maxim of software sells hardware is as true now for the Switch as it was back then for the Game Boy, that's a given.

If Nintendo really wants to have a (very) long lifecycle for the Switch they have no choice than to bring out a major upgrade. Yes, as I said, Software sells Hardware but at one point the Switch will be so outdated, tech wise, that you can't stem it with software alone anymore, the games will just not look fresh anymore. The original Game Boy was a very low-end tech right from the beginning. At the time the Game Boy Color game out in 1998, the original Game Boy (incl. its revisions Game Boy Pocket and Game Boy Light in Japan) was just outdated and didn't excite people anymore. Yes, Pokémon would have boosted the hardware sales even without a Game Boy Color but at the same time the Game Boy Color was obviously necessary as it sold very well. The Game Boy Color really excited people, the colors really gave a fresh, next-gen wow-effect in the consumers eyes.

The Game Boy Color had also its exclusive games and I think the Switch Pro needs that too, not from first party side but from 3rd party (i.e. triple A multiplat titles). It will not segregate the market as the current Switch will not get those titles anyway (with a few heavily watered down exception far and between like Doom, Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Mortal Kombat 11 and a few others). Therefore, those who don't want/can't upgrade to the Switch Pro don't have anything to complain, they wouldn't get those 3rd party triple A games anyway!

Around the Network
Fight-the-Streets said:

Why most here think that a beefy upgrade isn't possible/doesn't make sense? In my opinion it makes perfect sense. Nintendo said many times that they aim for a long lifecycle (after they saw the massive success). But what is a long Nintendo-lifecycle? The longest home console lifecycle (before the successor arrived) was the NES in Japan with 7 1/3 years (Jul 1983 - Nov 1990) and the longest handheld lifecycle was the Game Boy with 12 years (1989 - 2001). In comparison, Xbox 360 and PS3 were generally perceived has having a very long lifecycle with 8 resp. 7 years (2005/2006 - 2013). Xbox One and PS4 followed up with 7 years (2013 - 2020). On the handheld side, the PS Portable had also a lifecycle of 7 years (2004-2011). The most successful home console, so far, the PS2, had a lifecycle of 6 2/3 years (Mar 2000 - Nov 2006) and the most successful handheld, so far, the Nintendo DS, had a lifecycle of 6 1/4 years in Japan (Nov. 2004 - Feb 2011).

Listing all the above, it is fair to say that Nintendo is aiming for at least a 7 year lifecycle of the Nintendo Switch until a true successor comes out. Most probably, they aim even further, to a 8/9 year lifecycle. It is often said that the Switch sells more in line like a Nintendo handheld than a Nintendo home console. What did Nintendo do again with their most successful handheld, the Game Boy? Ah right, they came out with a major upgrade, the Game Boy Color to extend the lifecycle of the Game Boy tremendously. Of course, Pokémon was the main invigoration but the maxim of software sells hardware is as true now for the Switch as it was back then for the Game Boy, that's a given.

If Nintendo really wants to have a (very) long lifecycle for the Switch they have no choice than to bring out a major upgrade. Yes, as I said, Software sells Hardware but at one point the Switch will be so outdated, tech wise, that you can't stem it with software alone anymore, the games will just not look fresh anymore. The original Game Boy was a very low-end tech right from the beginning. At the time the Game Boy Color game out in 1998, the original Game Boy (incl. its revisions Game Boy Pocket and Game Boy Light in Japan) was just outdated and didn't excite people anymore. Yes, Pokémon would have boosted the hardware sales even without a Game Boy Color but at the same time the Game Boy Color was obviously necessary as it sold very well. The Game Boy Color really excited people, the colors really gave a fresh, next-gen wow-effect in the consumers eyes.

The Game Boy Color had also its exclusive games and I think the Switch Pro needs that too, not from first party side but from 3rd party (i.e. triple A multiplat titles). It will not segregate the market as the current Switch will not get those titles anyway (with a few heavily watered down exception far and between like Doom, Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Mortal Kombat 11 and a few others). Therefore, those who don't want/can't upgrade to the Switch Pro don't have anything to complain, they wouldn't get those 3rd party triple A games anyway!

true, and a xavier based DLSS upscaled to 4K while running 720p60/1080p30 natively would satisfy like, 90% of the devs out there.

though, one thing i have to point out is that the GBA was in development even before the GBC, and when the original prototype had to be scrapped it was then theat they came out with the GBC.

reminder that even in 2001, the GBA was powerful enough to pretty much wipe EVERY SINGLE GB competitor off the market when it came out.

Its only the extreamly powerful PSP that made nintendo cut the GBA's lifespan short. the GBA was one of the fastest selling consoles ever after all, its just that it only had like three and a half years on the market before its sucessor came out.

New info - Nvidia are apparently going to stop making Switch chips and start making a new Tegra one. I'm not surprised about Switch Pro coming, but ending production of the basic Switch is shocking to me if this is true.

https://www-hardwaretimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidia-reportedly-stopping-manufacture-of-nintendo-switch-soc-soon/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16152061698259&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hardwaretimes.com%2Fnvidia-reportedly-stopping-manufacture-of-nintendo-switch-soc-soon%2F

Dulfite said:

New info - Nvidia are apparently going to stop making Switch chips and start making a new Tegra one. I'm not surprised about Switch Pro coming, but ending production of the basic Switch is shocking to me if this is true.

https://www-hardwaretimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidia-reportedly-stopping-manufacture-of-nintendo-switch-soc-soon/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16152061698259&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hardwaretimes.com%2Fnvidia-reportedly-stopping-manufacture-of-nintendo-switch-soc-soon%2F

Interesting article. Based on some of things they've I don't necessarily share their conclusions. If its a half gen upgrade Tegra X2 could provide that sort of performance jump if it runs at full clocks. The X1 in the Switch only has around 75% of the power it could have. 393 GLOPS instead of 512 GFLOPS. It's why the overclocked Switch's see such a performance boost. They are just running the X1 at full clocks. X2 is a 750 GLOPS running at full speed. That's nearly double the Switch's reduced clocks but the main issue is DLSS. Pascal based GPUs lack Tensor Cores. Those are needed to run DLSS. If it weren't for multiple reliable sources insisting on DLSS the X2 would be a no brainer. Maybe they could have an additional chip added to handle it? Not sure how feasible that would be. With Xavier they could just use an off the shelf design. Even under clocked like the X1 it would be more powerful than a X2. Very curious to see what will ultimately go into the revision.

Side note: Given how old the Maxwell architecture is at this point maybe its just being sunset. It's 5 generations old. Its been succeeded by Pascal, Volta, Turing, and now Ampere. Nintendo may not have the option of using the old SoC any longer.

Darc Requiem said:
Dulfite said:

Interesting article. Based on some of things they've I don't necessarily share their conclusions. If its a half gen upgrade Tegra X2 could provide that sort of performance jump if it runs at full clocks. The X1 in the Switch only has around 75% of the power it could have. 393 GLOPS instead of 512 GFLOPS. It's why the overclocked Switch's see such a performance boost. They are just running the X1 at full clocks. X2 is a 750 GLOPS running at full speed. That's nearly double the Switch's reduced clocks but the main issue is DLSS. Pascal based GPUs lack Tensor Cores. Those are needed to run DLSS. If it weren't for multiple reliable sources insisting on DLSS the X2 would be a no brainer. Maybe they could have an additional chip added to handle it? Not sure how feasible that would be. With Xavier they could just use an off the shelf design. Even under clocked like the X1 it would be more powerful than a X2. Very curious to see what will ultimately go into the revision.

Side note: Given how old the Maxwell architecture is at this point maybe its just being sunset. It's 5 generations old. Its been succeeded by Pascal, Volta, Turing, and now Ampere. Nintendo may not have the option of using the old SoC any longer.

@bold

If that's the case, then do you think Nintendo will intentionally force developers to limit future games' capabilities to what the original chip could handle? If this is like the Switch update 1-2 years ago that they kept low-key, then they would have a device that could handle better performance, but won't in order to not alienate the player base.

Vodacixi said:
Mandalore76 said:

I think the proliferation of Smart TV's are making streaming services on console a moot point by now.  I can go directly to any app the moment I turn my TV on without starting up an external device like a console.  My TV remote even has it's own buttons for both Hulu and Netflix.  Sure, I can use Hulu and YouTube on Switch, but why would I when I can already access those directly from startup on my TV?  The same goes for my XBox One.  Can it access more streaming services than my Switch?  Yes.  Have I ever used my XBox One to login to one of my streaming services?  To be honest, no.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. However... I don't see why you are telling me all this. My whole point was that Nintendo doesn't care about getting video streaming platforms on the Switch, much less making a new model with 4K output with the sole purpouse of attracting said platforms. Even if that was the case (which it's clearly not), I doubt that the lack of 4K is what keeps Netflix or HBO from launching on Switch, given how there are plenty of devices that don't have 4K and have access to streaming sites.

Ah, I missed the point of what you were saying.  Yeah, lack of 4K would not have kept Netflix away from Switch.  I do agree with you Nintendo would be focused on the upgrade for gaming purposes and keeping gaming developers on the platform.  That has always been their messaging.