By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: New Switch Model With Larger OLED Display And 4K Docked. Production Begins In June.

Dulfite said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Bold: Um, power wise, N64 > PS1.

N64 Vs. PS1: Which Console Is More Powerful (In Terms Of Tech Specs) (thegamer.com)

It isn't always that simple. Developers probably saw how much more realistic textures could look on PS1 and disregarded the overall better power/graphics of the N64 to publish more games on PS1.

Well, yeah but no. Reality, N64 > PS1. Developers chose ps1 since it was way cheaper and much easier than making games for N64.

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 04 March 2021

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
numberwang said:

4K will be for video streaming, not games.

This looks more like a Switch Pro rather than a full Switch 2 (too early) but we will see. I am not even sure if we will see a new CPU/GPU. Might just get a smaller production process Samsung 8nm and more battery life again.

The Switch doesn't have access to any major streaming platform. This is true even 4 years after its release. Do you really believe that they will make a new Switch model with 4K to use it on stuff Nintendo has made very clear they give two shits about? 

YouTube and the trailers Nintendo puts in the eShop and the news section. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

numberwang said:
Vodacixi said:

Do your realize that base PS4 and Xbox One don't have 4K output and yet they have access to pretty much every streaming service available on the market? Also, there are plenty of modern devices that only support 1080p output, but are compatible with streaming services regardless like the base models of Amazon Fire Stick or Google Chromecast.

I don't know... I don't think your point makes too much sense...

PS4 was released in 2013 when 4k content or HDR was nearly nonexistent so they have legacy support. Times have changed and Nintendo has to support modern resolutions and features to be relevant for streaming platforms, better late than never.

You conviniently left out the other devices I mentioned. 

Again: it makes no sense.

Metallox said:
Vodacixi said:

The Switch doesn't have access to any major streaming platform. This is true even 4 years after its release. Do you really believe that they will make a new Switch model with 4K to use it on stuff Nintendo has made very clear they give two shits about? 

YouTube and the trailers Nintendo puts in the eShop and the news section. 

I was reffering to things like Netflix, HBO, Disney +... Nintendo doesn't care about those. I think it has Hulu on the US? And Funimation? And that's about it I believe... 

numberwang said:

Looking at it again, this might just be a new revision that will replace the older models, not a dedicated Pro model.

No

Around the Network

Finally. Hopefully its out before SS but probably not

I had a Russian co-worker named Oled, he’ll be pleased with this development!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Vodacixi said:
numberwang said:

Streaming money is in expensive premium accounts with 4K HDR+ content and Switch can't offer that so streaming companies are avoiding Switch. These services will be available on a 4K capable Switch Pro.

Do your realize that base PS4 and Xbox One don't have 4K output and yet they have access to pretty much every streaming service available on the market? Also, there are plenty of modern devices that only support 1080p output, but are compatible with streaming services regardless like the base models of Amazon Fire Stick or Google Chromecast.

I think the proliferation of Smart TV's are making streaming services on console a moot point by now.  I can go directly to any app the moment I turn my TV on without starting up an external device like a console.  My TV remote even has it's own buttons for both Hulu and Netflix.  Sure, I can use Hulu and YouTube on Switch, but why would I when I can already access those directly from startup on my TV?  The same goes for my XBox One.  Can it access more streaming services than my Switch?  Yes.  Have I ever used my XBox One to login to one of my streaming services?  To be honest, no.

Mandalore76 said:
Vodacixi said:

I think the proliferation of Smart TV's are making streaming services on console a moot point by now.  I can go directly to any app the moment I turn my TV on without starting up an external device like a console.  My TV remote even has it's own buttons for both Hulu and Netflix.  Sure, I can use Hulu and YouTube on Switch, but why would I when I can already access those directly from startup on my TV?  The same goes for my XBox One.  Can it access more streaming services than my Switch?  Yes.  Have I ever used my XBox One to login to one of my streaming services?  To be honest, no.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. However... I don't see why you are telling me all this. My whole point was that Nintendo doesn't care about getting video streaming platforms on the Switch, much less making a new model with 4K output with the sole purpouse of attracting said platforms. Even if that was the case (which it's clearly not), I doubt that the lack of 4K is what keeps Netflix or HBO from launching on Switch, given how there are plenty of devices that don't have 4K and have access to streaming sites.

Vodacixi said:
Mandalore76 said:

I agree with pretty much everything you said. However... I don't see why you are telling me all this. My whole point was that Nintendo doesn't care about getting video streaming platforms on the Switch, much less making a new model with 4K output with the sole purpouse of attracting said platforms. Even if that was the case (which it's clearly not), I doubt that the lack of 4K is what keeps Netflix or HBO from launching on Switch, given how there are plenty of devices that don't have 4K and have access to streaming sites.

if Nintendo goes for 4k for other purpose and not gaming, is a Wiiu 2.0 .