By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: New Switch Model With Larger OLED Display And 4K Docked. Production Begins In June.

I was going to buy a Switch but I'll hold out for this model. Hopefully there is a Pokemon Legends: Arceus bundle lol.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
numberwang said:

PS4 was released in 2013 when 4k content or HDR was nearly nonexistent so they have legacy support. Times have changed and Nintendo has to support modern resolutions and features to be relevant for streaming platforms, better late than never.

You conviniently left out the other devices I mentioned. 

Again: it makes no sense.

I don't get your point. You think that Nintendo will never get streaming platforms even with updated 4K HDR+ support?

Rumor mill is turning and says it could be NVIDIA ORIN chipset but that would be a huge jump in performance and TDP including DLSS2.0 support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3WNY9nEkYY

numberwang said:
Vodacixi said:

You conviniently left out the other devices I mentioned. 

Again: it makes no sense.

I don't get your point. You think that Nintendo will never get streaming platforms even with updated 4K HDR+ support?

No. I'm telling you that thinking Nintendo is making a Switch revision with 4K output because they want to get streaming platforms is idiotic because one: Nintendo doesn't give a damn about streaming platforms and two: streaming platforms don't need 4K in order to want to support a device, like in the examples I gave to you. 

If Nintendo is making a new Switch with 4K output is simply because they plan to make use of it themselves. Not because of streaming.

numberwang said:

Rumor mill is turning and says it could be NVIDIA ORIN chipset but that would be a huge jump in performance and TDP including DLSS2.0 support.

I have a hard time buying that. That's Nvidia's cutting edge SoC. Nintendo tends to go with older more established hardware. Maybe for a true Switch successor but for a revision, ORIN would be far too much. I think at most they'd go with Xavier. It's Volta based so it would a Tensor Cores which are necessary for DLSS. Volta is two gens old, architecture wise, for Nvidia. Plus it would address one of the biggest developer complaints about Switch. Memory bandwith. While hardly blisteringly fast. Xavier has 5 and half times (136.5GB/s) the bandwidth of Tegra X1 (25.6GB/s).

Last edited by Darc Requiem - on 06 March 2021

Around the Network
Agente42 said:
Vodacixi said:

I agree with pretty much everything you said. However... I don't see why you are telling me all this. My whole point was that Nintendo doesn't care about getting video streaming platforms on the Switch, much less making a new model with 4K output with the sole purpouse of attracting said platforms. Even if that was the case (which it's clearly not), I doubt that the lack of 4K is what keeps Netflix or HBO from launching on Switch, given how there are plenty of devices that don't have 4K and have access to streaming sites.

if Nintendo goes for 4k for other purpose and not gaming, is a Wiiu 2.0 . 

No. If they go for all these streaming platforms it's Wii U 2.0.  Wii U had the TV App. It had Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu. Menus were slow on Wii U. Switch cut the fat. Wii U tried to be the Streaming box and the Game box.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Darc Requiem said:
numberwang said:

I have a hard time buying that. That's Nvidia's cutting edge SoC. Nintendo tends to go with older more established hardware. Maybe for a true Switch successor but for a revision, ORIN would be far too much. I think at most they'd go with Xavier. It's Volta based so it would a Tensors which are necessary for DLSS. Volta is two gens old, architecture wise, for Nvidia. Plus it would address one of the biggest developer complaints about Switch. Memory bandwith. While hardly blisteringly fast. Xavier has 5 and half times (136.5GB/s) the bandwidth of Tegra X1 (25.6GB/s).

Xavier has too high a wattage. There is a 15 watt Orin variant. Better performance for less power consumption.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Darc Requiem said:

I have a hard time buying that. That's Nvidia's cutting edge SoC. Nintendo tends to go with older more established hardware. Maybe for a true Switch successor but for a revision, ORIN would be far too much. I think at most they'd go with Xavier. It's Volta based so it would a Tensors which are necessary for DLSS. Volta is two gens old, architecture wise, for Nvidia. Plus it would address one of the biggest developer complaints about Switch. Memory bandwith. While hardly blisteringly fast. Xavier has 5 and half times (136.5GB/s) the bandwidth of Tegra X1 (25.6GB/s).

Xavier has too high a wattage. There is a 15 watt Orin variant. Better performance for less power consumption.

Orin isn't designed for consumers products. And Ampere is relatively new to the market and would be cutting edge. Nintendo wouldn't go for that. For costs reasons.

The original Switch SOC is based on Tegra X1 T210 - 20nm (15W) and was clocked considerably lower to meet performance target and portability. Nintendo then released and updated Switch (16nm) based on Mariko which has higher clocks and improved performance.

If they used 10nm Finfet (from 12nm FF) on a Xavier based soc - which is already a product ready and can be built with Tensor cores in mind. But yeah I would say 10nm since everyone (bar Apple) wants a slice of that 7nm pie.

Leynos said:
Darc Requiem said:

Ampere is not exactly known for it's power efficiency. It's actually considered the weakness of the architecture. I wonder what they couldn't get out of a 15w Ampere SoC.

Edit: @hinch I agree with you on the node size situation. Whatever Nintendo chooses, they are going to be on node that isn't in high demand. With the way the Switch sells they can't afford to have the same issues as Sony and MS. AMD isn't TSMC's first priority. Apple is, so any node Apple is on will be one Nintendo avoids.

Last edited by Darc Requiem - on 06 March 2021

Leynos said:
Darc Requiem said:

Xavier can scale downwards to 15w and even 10w.

hinch said:
Leynos said:

Orin isn't designed for consumers products. And Ampere is relatively new to the market and would be cutting edge. Nintendo wouldn't go for that. For costs reasons.

The original Switch SOC is based on Tegra X1 T210 - 20nm (15W) and was clocked considerably lower to meet performance target and portability. Nintendo then released and updated Switch (16nm) based on Mariko which has higher clocks and improved performance.

If they used 10nm Finfet (from 12nm FF) on a Xavier based soc - which is already a product ready and can be built with Tensor cores in mind. But yeah I would say 10nm since everyone (bar Apple) wants a slice of that 7nm pie.

Due to compatibility reasons, I would personally not expect anything more than Tegra X2/Pascal.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--