By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: New Switch Model With Larger OLED Display And 4K Docked. Production Begins In June.

4k support doesn't mean that it will be more powerful and the games will be rendered in 4k, maybe is just for streaming, YouTube, and maybe simple games that can be rendered in 4k in current switch, but the system do not support.
DLSS can make its debut on consoles on switch 2.

Around the Network
Chicho said:
Dulfite said:

N64 Vs. PS1: Which Console Is More Powerful (In Terms Of Tech Specs) (thegamer.com)

It isn't always that simple. Developers probably saw how much more realistic textures could look on PS1 and disregarded the overall better power/graphics of the N64 to publish more games on PS1.

Ps1 games ususally had higher resolution textures and audio samples because on N64 to make a 32mb game was cheaper than a 64mb game but on ps1 you could go to 600mb at the same price because a disc would be the same to produce. Ps1 had cheaper storage not more power.

But that's my point, that PS1 was able to achieve better looking visuals to people because of that, or at least visuals that were more appealing to consumers. So in many developer's minds they still preferred to make games for PS1 and adjusting for the 64 was too annoying. 

Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

I'm confused as to why would Nintendo do something like this for "just" a Pro model of the Switch.

Since there's no way the chip powering this new console will be able to render games at native 4K, it's obvious that it will need to use DLSS to achieve that, but in order to do that you need Tensor Cores. Neither the Tegra X1 nor the X2 feature such cores, they were introduced with Volta that powers the Tegra Xavier, a much bigger and powerful Tegra chip designed for AI.

But why would Nintendo waste this incredible jump in performance in a Pro model when it makes more sense for a Switch successor?

Doubt there is DLSS. I would assume just a rudimentary upscale.

The DLSS part comes from another rumor, an "insider" (I really have no clue on how reliable he is) from Resetera.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

numberwang said:
Vodacixi said:

The Switch doesn't have access to any major streaming platform. This is true even 4 years after its release. Do you really believe that they will make a new Switch model with 4K to use it on stuff Nintendo has made very clear they give two shits about? 

Streaming money is in expensive premium accounts with 4K HDR+ content and Switch can't offer that so streaming companies are avoiding Switch. These services will be available on a 4K capable Switch Pro.

Do your realize that base PS4 and Xbox One don't have 4K output and yet they have access to pretty much every streaming service available on the market? Also, there are plenty of modern devices that only support 1080p output, but are compatible with streaming services regardless like the base models of Amazon Fire Stick or Google Chromecast.

I don't know... I don't think your point makes too much sense...

Vodacixi said:
numberwang said:

Streaming money is in expensive premium accounts with 4K HDR+ content and Switch can't offer that so streaming companies are avoiding Switch. These services will be available on a 4K capable Switch Pro.

Do your realize that base PS4 and Xbox One don't have 4K output and yet they have access to pretty much every streaming service available on the market? Also, there are plenty of modern devices that only support 1080p output, but are compatible with streaming services regardless like the base models of Amazon Fire Stick or Google Chromecast.

I don't know... I don't think your point makes too much sense...

PS4 was released in 2013 when 4k content or HDR was nearly nonexistent so they have legacy support. Times have changed and Nintendo has to support modern resolutions and features to be relevant for streaming platforms, better late than never.

Around the Network
siebensus4 said:
Elputoxd said:

Don't get hyped. Get ready for it. Nintendo has never sold a console at a loss.

The 3DS was sold at a loss after its first price cut. Also GameCube was sold at a loss with its 99 $ price tag.

Nintendo only really sells at a loss when their consoles aren't selling well. The 3DS was sold at a loss due to underwhelming sales and the Gamecube was selling like shit. The Switch is far from that point.

Looking at it again, this might just be a new revision that will replace the older models, not a dedicated Pro model.

I don't think that DLSS is in the cards. Nor do I think that most games will display in 4K. I think that the 4K bit is for maximum resolutions and/or video streaming. If the latter I expect Nintendo to announce Netflix soon.

In all honesty, I think that a major hardware increase simply isn't going to happen. X2, Xavier, or Orin wont be the chip. Most I could see is an X1 with an OLED screen that uses the T214 Tegra model to a higher capacity, meaning we get around 1.5-2x increase in GPU clock speed docked allowing games to run at around 1440p. And, IMO, that is best case scenario. That would also mean the battery would be more in line with the first wave of Switch's and not the second wave.

Dulfite said:

But that's my point, that PS1 was able to achieve better looking visuals to people because of that, or at least visuals that were more appealing to consumers. So in many developer's minds they still preferred to make games for PS1 and adjusting for the 64 was too annoying. 

Developers preferred making games for the PS1 because the N64 was notoriously hard to program for. It used microcodes, and the easier SDK's and techniques were kept from third party developers. People attribute the texture issues to the cartridge which is "partially" true, but, in reality, the texture cache was the actual issue. Textures could have looked much better if the 4kb of texture cache didn't cause textures to have to be stretched. 

Jetson TX2 NX: NVIDIA introduces a new single-board computer with a Pascal GPU

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Jetson-TX2-NX-NVIDIA-introduces-a-new-single-board-computer-with-a-Pascal-GPU.526265.0.html

"The Jetson TX2 comes with a dual-core NVIDIA Denver 2 processor, a quad-core ARM Cortex-A57 MPCore processor and a 256-core Pascal GPU that can reach 1.3 GHz. According to NVIDIA, the Jetson TX2 NX should achieve up to 1.33 TFLOPS of AI performance and is capable of encoding H.264/H.265 in up to 4K/60 FPS at 1x. Additionally, the SBC has 4 GB of LPDDR4 RAM and 16 GB of eMMC 5.1 flash storage."

Hmmm... Interesting timing...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850