By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: New Switch Model With Larger OLED Display And 4K Docked. Production Begins In June.

Since we have no metrics or any way of comparison a 720P undocked Switch. With a device thats capable DLSS capable of running 1440P would I'm guessing will perform about the same as a PS4 Pro. I mean Xavier has 50-100% (depending on model) more CUDA cores than X1 alone alongside IPC gains and clock speed increases and more performance per watt. With DLSS boosted this is quite achievable I would think.

Like it will be most likely running at lower internal native resolution using DLSS to boost. 720P > 1440P looks great with DLSS 2.0.

Take Control. DLSS scales great with that game even at lower res.

Last edited by hinch - on 04 March 2021

Around the Network
numberwang said:

4K will be for video streaming, not games.

This looks more like a Switch Pro rather than a full Switch 2 (too early) but we will see. I am not even sure if we will see a new CPU/GPU. Might just get a smaller production process Samsung 8nm and more battery life again.

12nm TSMC rather than Samsung 8nm.
The 12nm process is based on the 16nm process which in turn is based on the 20nm process from TSMC... So porting the design is super quick, super cheap, with very quick turnaround.
And because it's not a congested node (I.E. 7nm or 8nm), Nintendo can scale up chip production very rapidly, negating any supply issues.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

This 4K thing all those rumours  keep spreading as their main selling point is so... meh, couldn't care less I don't even have a 4k TV and I'm sure most people don't have one either 

What Switch revision really needs is more RAM and a better CPU, better performance >> resolution 

haxxiy said:
hinch said:

Oops I meant display 4K. 1080P with DLSS to 4K is very demanding still and is probably too much to ask for a small SOC. If I had to guess this would maybe put the NS (New) in the same ballpark as the PS4 Pro with DLSS assuming they are using more advanced architecture and not using Maxwell.

You could literally run like four native 4K Switch images simutaneously with the computing power of a PS4 Pro. R

I highly doubt that is even remotely close to being accurate.  

Elputoxd said:

Don't get hyped. Get ready for it. Nintendo has never sold a console at a loss.

The 3DS was sold at a loss after its first price cut. Also GameCube was sold at a loss with its 99 $ price tag.

Around the Network
Elputoxd said:

- 4K output
- No DLSS
- 720p screen
-399 dollars

Wii U was sold at a loss.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-20095125

Signature goes here!

If this turns out to be a success then the Switch should easily beat the PS4.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

It really needs a decent CPU/GPU bump. No point upscalling to 4k if the dense forested areas in BOTW still run at 22fps lol

I don’t believe this.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

siebensus4 said:
Elputoxd said:

The 3DS was sold at a loss after its first price cut. Also GameCube was sold at a loss with its 99 $ price tag.

While the "never" wasn't correct, they certainly hardly ever do. And the 3ds wasn't sold at a loss its whole life, let alone the 3ds XL, 2ds, New 3ds, or the New 3ds XL. Even for the one that was originally discounted, parts get cheaper to make overtime, especially at the rate they were making them after the discounted $80. The 3ds absolutely was a massive profit for Nintendo down the road.

The GameCube, while selling horribly and at one point at a really low price point, actually DID get them profits due to some smart business decisions on their part:

-Offloading development of less popular IPs to Third party studios reduced losses.

-Started publishing Mature games (like Eternal Darkness), and started making profits off those.

-The GameCube didn't break hardly, so they had reduced expenses fixing ones sent in to them.

-No DVD player capabilities helped reduce cost of making the system.

-Received a lot more multiplatform 3rd party games than the N64 did because of how powerful the GameCube was. They get a cut of each of these sold.

-GB adaptor encouraged more GBA software sales (profits) so people could play them on the "big screen." I absolutely loved this feature, in particular! Playing Pokemon Gen 1-3 on my TV was glorious and blew my mind haha.