By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: New Switch Model With Larger OLED Display And 4K Docked. Production Begins In June.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-04/nintendo-plans-switch-model-with-bigger-samsung-oled-display

New Switch model to begin mass production in June, features a larger 7-inch Samsung OLED 720p screen and 4K docked graphics. 

I would guess DLSS 2.0 is being used to get the 4K resolution. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-04/nintendo-plans-switch-model-with-bigger-samsung-oled-display

New Switch model to begin mass production in June, features a larger 7-inch Samsung OLED 720p screen and 4K docked graphics. 

I would guess DLSS 2.0 is being used to get the 4K resolution. 

yeah... i guess dlss 2.0 is indeed on the new model.

I would much rather see them stick with the lcd display, even if visuals are slightly sacrificed, or find another supplier.

Samsung in recent times with their "flagship" expensive phones has had a few OLED screen burn issues. My Note is 2 years old and it is fucked. My old Samsung's prior to that have had far more use and no evidence of visible screen burn.

Cobretti2 said:

I would much rather see them stick with the lcd display, even if visuals are slightly sacrificed, or find another supplier.

Samsung in recent times with their "flagship" expensive phones has had a few OLED screen burn issues. My Note is 2 years old and it is fucked. My old Samsung's prior to that have had far more use and no evidence of visible screen burn.

Sounds like they got a very nice price on these displays from Samsung because of over stock issues. 

OLED is going to be a treat for Nintendo fans I think. Really nice colors and rich black levels are going to explode off that screen with the types of colorful games Nintendo makes. Think people will be very happy with that. 

Cobretti2 said:

maybe I have luck. My Note 4 fully beautiful and working, almost six years of use. Only buy a great amount of the batteries. 

Maybe a new tech OLED screen is the problem?

Around the Network

Gonna be hype! Kinda wish it had 1080p resolution instead of 720p. I'll be curious has to how it does the 4k and what's under the hood

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Also I do hope they mainly just shrink the bezel more so than anything else like this:

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Mar1217 said:

To be honest, until there's official announcement from the company itself, this is purely speculation on their parts in my book.

/This 

I'm sick of these Switch revision stories. It just seems like they keep rolling them out until Nintendo finally does revise the Switch and they can say "we called it."

Mar1217 said:

To be honest, until there's official announcement from the company itself, this is purely speculation on their parts in my book.

Bloomberg isn't a fan site but a major business source, I doubt they just invented the Samsung screen order bit. 

Also other reliable sources are saying dev kits for this new Switch model are now out there with many devs so more leaks should be coming in the next few weeks. 

It would kinda suck if true. Keeping the handheld screen resolution at 720p while making it bigger will result in a loss of crispness.

That being said, I mostly play on docked mode, so the 4K ready aspect of it has me interested.