By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: New Switch Model With Larger OLED Display And 4K Docked. Production Begins In June.

Wanna see all the games with improved frame rates.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Many of the portable games aren't at native 720p/60, if they increase the power of the Switch and run those games closer to 720p/60 you'd be more than happy. Crispness isn't an issue. Also OLED is TOPS for image quality.

- 4K output
- No DLSS
- 720p screen
-399 dollars

Don't get hyped. Get ready for it. Nintendo has never sold a console at a loss.

I always thought the Splatoon 3 screen grabs Nintendo put out looked way too clean to be running on an existing Switch

Around the Network
numberwang said:

4K will be for video streaming, not games.

This looks more like a Switch Pro rather than a full Switch 2 (too early) but we will see. I am not even sure if we will see a new CPU/GPU. Might just get a smaller production process Samsung 8nm and more battery life again.

The Switch doesn't have access to any major streaming platform. This is true even 4 years after its release. Do you really believe that they will make a new Switch model with 4K to use it on stuff Nintendo has made very clear they give two shits about? 

Nice I best both parties got a good deal from this. Samsung gets rid of 720P inventory and Nintendo gets a load of panels for cheap. Nintendo did similar type deal with Nvidia (with Tegra X1's)

@Soundwave
I doubt this will display 4K natively on a mobile chip. Maybe 1440P since 720P scales best with that with DLSS. Which is still worlds away from 640-900P docked in most NS games xP

Last edited by hinch - on 04 March 2021

I don't think anyone in their right mind is expecting 4K native. It'll be 4K via DLSS most likely. Which is fine, DLSS is great.

Oops I meant display 4K. 1080P with DLSS to 4K is very demanding still and is probably too much to ask for a small SOC. If I had to guess this would maybe put the NS (New) in the same ballpark as the PS4 Pro with DLSS assuming they are using more advanced architecture and not using Maxwell.

Last edited by hinch - on 04 March 2021

hinch said:

Oops I meant display 4K. 1080P with DLSS to 4K is very demanding still and is probably too much to ask for a small SOC. If I had to guess this would maybe put the NS (New) in the same ballpark as the PS4 Pro with DLSS assuming they are using more advanced architecture and not using Maxwell.

You could literally run like four native 4K Switch images simutaneously with the computing power of a PS4 Pro. Remember you are talking about a severely underclocked 2015 mobile chip. They are obviously going to do this smart. Xavier and the more recent Nvidia SoCs have the required hardware built-in and are absolutely capable of doing it.