By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: New Switch Model With Larger OLED Display And 4K Docked. Production Begins In June.

TruckOSaurus said:
Elputoxd said:

- 4K output
- No DLSS
- 720p screen
-399 dollars

Don't get hyped. Get ready for it. Nintendo has never sold a console at a loss.

Wii U was sold at a loss.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-20095125

That is them projecting it would be sold at a loss at first. That doesn't mean it was sold at a loss its whole life, let alone most of it. Parts get cheaper over time/with demand. That being said, the 3ds was absolutely the reason Nintendo had profits in the 3ds/Wii U years.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
siebensus4 said:

The 3DS was sold at a loss after its first price cut. Also GameCube was sold at a loss with its 99 $ price tag.

While the "never" wasn't correct, they certainly hardly ever do. And the 3ds wasn't sold at a loss its whole life, let alone the 3ds XL, 2ds, New 3ds, or the New 3ds XL. Even for the one that was originally discounted, parts get cheaper to make overtime, especially at the rate they were making them after the discounted $80. The 3ds absolutely was a massive profit for Nintendo down the road.

The GameCube, while selling horribly and at one point at a really low price point, actually DID get them profits due to some smart business decisions on their part:

-Offloading development of less popular IPs to Third party studios reduced losses.

-Started publishing Mature games (like Eternal Darkness), and started making profits off those.

-The GameCube didn't break hardly, so they had reduced expenses fixing ones sent in to them.

-No DVD player capabilities helped reduce cost of making the system.

-Received a lot more multiplatform 3rd party games than the N64 did because of how powerful the GameCube was. They get a cut of each of these sold.

-GB adaptor encouraged more GBA software sales (profits) so people could play them on the "big screen." I absolutely loved this feature, in particular! Playing Pokemon Gen 1-3 on my TV was glorious and blew my mind haha.

Bold: Um, power wise, N64 > PS1.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Dulfite said:

While the "never" wasn't correct, they certainly hardly ever do. And the 3ds wasn't sold at a loss its whole life, let alone the 3ds XL, 2ds, New 3ds, or the New 3ds XL. Even for the one that was originally discounted, parts get cheaper to make overtime, especially at the rate they were making them after the discounted $80. The 3ds absolutely was a massive profit for Nintendo down the road.

The GameCube, while selling horribly and at one point at a really low price point, actually DID get them profits due to some smart business decisions on their part:

-Offloading development of less popular IPs to Third party studios reduced losses.

-Started publishing Mature games (like Eternal Darkness), and started making profits off those.

-The GameCube didn't break hardly, so they had reduced expenses fixing ones sent in to them.

-No DVD player capabilities helped reduce cost of making the system.

-Received a lot more multiplatform 3rd party games than the N64 did because of how powerful the GameCube was. They get a cut of each of these sold.

-GB adaptor encouraged more GBA software sales (profits) so people could play them on the "big screen." I absolutely loved this feature, in particular! Playing Pokemon Gen 1-3 on my TV was glorious and blew my mind haha.

N64 Vs. PS1: Which Console Is More Powerful (In Terms Of Tech Specs) (thegamer.com)

It isn't always that simple. Developers probably saw how much more realistic textures could look on PS1 and disregarded the overall better power/graphics of the N64 to publish more games on PS1.

Vodacixi said:
numberwang said:

4K will be for video streaming, not games.

This looks more like a Switch Pro rather than a full Switch 2 (too early) but we will see. I am not even sure if we will see a new CPU/GPU. Might just get a smaller production process Samsung 8nm and more battery life again.

The Switch doesn't have access to any major streaming platform. This is true even 4 years after its release. Do you really believe that they will make a new Switch model with 4K to use it on stuff Nintendo has made very clear they give two shits about? 

Streaming money is in expensive premium accounts with 4K HDR+ content and Switch can't offer that so streaming companies are avoiding Switch. These services will be available on a 4K capable Switch Pro.

It sticking with a 720p screen would be a shame since the increased size would result in a bit of reduced crispness but the overall big visual upgrade due to OLED would easily make up for it. I could see owners of it playing it in handheld mode at a higher rate than owners of the LCD model due to how nice games will look on it. For many games will look better than when played on their tv. Hopefully there's a decent power boost too so games like Age of Calamity can get better frame rate.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

N64 Vs. PS1: Which Console Is More Powerful (In Terms Of Tech Specs) (thegamer.com)

It isn't always that simple. Developers probably saw how much more realistic textures could look on PS1 and disregarded the overall better power/graphics of the N64 to publish more games on PS1.

Ps1 games ususally had higher resolution textures and audio samples because on N64 to make a 32mb game was cheaper than a 64mb game but on ps1 you could go to 600mb at the same price because a disc would be the same to produce. Ps1 had cheaper storage not more power.

Chicho said:
Dulfite said:

Ps1 games ususally had higher resolution textures and audio samples because on N64 to make a 32mb game was cheaper than a 64mb game but on ps1 you could go to 600mb at the same price because a disc would be the same to produce. Ps1 had cheaper storage not more power.

raw power is n64

I've gotta say, I've been hearing these "Switch Pro" rumors for about 3 years now, but this is the first one that actually sounds credible.  

“The OLED panel will consume less battery, offer higher contrast and possibly faster response time when compared to the Switch’s current liquid-crystal display,” said Yoshio Tamura, co-founder of display consultancy DSCC.

That part sounds totally believable.  This looks like a cheap way to get improved graphics and more battery.  That is the sort of thing Nintendo usually looks for.  On the other hand, when it comes to 4K I wouldn't expect much.  The XB1 S can stream 4K, but it's still less powerful than the base PS4.  I think the main graphical upgrade we are going to see is going to come from the OLED screen.  This new model will probably get a minor processor upgrade like the 3DS, but not a major one like the mid gen upgrades of PS4/XB1.

So, I think this article is true as long as you don't get your hopes up about the 4k.  I can actually believe Nintendo will have an upgraded model sometime this year, because 2021 is about the right time for it.  I can also believe it will have an OLED screen and a longer battery life and maybe a small upgrade to the processor like the New 3DS did.  This upgrade is going to resemble the New 3DS upgrade a lot more than it resembles the XBox 1 X upgrade.

I'm confused as to why would Nintendo do something like this for "just" a Pro model of the Switch.

Since there's no way the chip powering this new console will be able to render games at native 4K, it's obvious that it will need to use DLSS to achieve that, but in order to do that you need Tensor Cores. Neither the Tegra X1 nor the X2 feature such cores, they were introduced with Volta that powers the Tegra Xavier, a much bigger and powerful Tegra chip designed for AI.

But why would Nintendo waste this incredible jump in performance in a Pro model when it makes more sense for a Switch successor?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Dulfite said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

That article is just an opinion piece.
When they throw out blatant pieces of opinion like: "graphics have graduated beyond polygons" then you know to take their opinion with a grain of salt.
Polygons are still the fundamental building blocks that forms the basis of all games today.

The reason why texturing was different wasn't because the PS1 had more "realistic" textures, it's because it's textures weren't limited to 4kb and it wasn't filtering them.

They weren't actually more realistic, developers just chose a different artistic design.

JEMC said:

I'm confused as to why would Nintendo do something like this for "just" a Pro model of the Switch.

Since there's no way the chip powering this new console will be able to render games at native 4K, it's obvious that it will need to use DLSS to achieve that, but in order to do that you need Tensor Cores. Neither the Tegra X1 nor the X2 feature such cores, they were introduced with Volta that powers the Tegra Xavier, a much bigger and powerful Tegra chip designed for AI.

But why would Nintendo waste this incredible jump in performance in a Pro model when it makes more sense for a Switch successor?

Doubt there is DLSS. I would assume just a rudimentary upscale.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--