By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: New Switch Model With Larger OLED Display And 4K Docked. Production Begins In June.

Dulfite said:

New info - Nvidia are apparently going to stop making Switch chips and start making a new Tegra one. I'm not surprised about Switch Pro coming, but ending production of the basic Switch is shocking to me if this is true.

https://www-hardwaretimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidia-reportedly-stopping-manufacture-of-nintendo-switch-soc-soon/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16152061698259&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hardwaretimes.com%2Fnvidia-reportedly-stopping-manufacture-of-nintendo-switch-soc-soon%2F

So that would make sense. At some point old tech gets more expensive than newer tech.

Nintendo could completely replace the current Mariko Switch, just like Mariko replaced the original model (or Slim PS3 replaced the fat model). In the end I expect only a small jump in case of power (just like New 3DS to 3DS) to keep the compatibility with the original model. Maybe a few exclusives. The real tech boost should be a new console in 2024.

Around the Network
siebensus4 said:
Dulfite said:

New info - Nvidia are apparently going to stop making Switch chips and start making a new Tegra one. I'm not surprised about Switch Pro coming, but ending production of the basic Switch is shocking to me if this is true.

https://www-hardwaretimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidia-reportedly-stopping-manufacture-of-nintendo-switch-soc-soon/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16152061698259&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hardwaretimes.com%2Fnvidia-reportedly-stopping-manufacture-of-nintendo-switch-soc-soon%2F

So that would make sense. At some point old tech gets more expensive than newer tech.

Nintendo could completely replace the current Mariko Switch, just like Mariko replaced the original model (or Slim PS3 replaced the fat model). In the end I expect only a small jump in case of power (just like New 3DS to 3DS) to keep the compatibility with the original model. Maybe a few exclusives. The real tech boost should be a new console in 2024.

Nintendo's normal cycle is 6 years. They did less for Wii U because it bombed. I really doubt they will wait to release the next console 7 years after Switch, especially knowing how badly even their great selling devices did in their final year of being the flagship. I predict Switch 2 will launch March 2023. That whole "halfway through its life thing" could be interpreted numerous ways.

Is a new dock needed for 4k/60 or just an upgraded tablet?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

While higher GPU power can be used upscaling graphics and applying better FX and AA on the Pro model, games will have to keep their CPU and RAM requirements within base NS specs. In the past even Ninty itself released just a small bunch of titles that required DSi HW or WM Plus and couldn't run on original DS or older Wii with the original controller and without the new one (even if users in Wii case could buy a new controller or a dongle for the old one to make their old Wii 100% compatible). Mid-life upgrades just have two choices, splitting the user base or making a limited use of their improved specs.
This means that most probably NS Pro won't solve the problem of the most power-hungry multiplats unable to run on NS.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Agente42 said:

DF bias you see a distant 

Or maybe we just have an understanding of technology that you do not.

Pyro as Bill said:

Tegra X1 itself supports 4k, 60fps.
So the limitation is elsewhere in the device that limits it to 1080P output.

The Switch itself outputs Displayport over USB-C and the Dock converts that into HDMI, the Dock is just a "dumb device" for all intents and purposes...
The real issue is actually USB on the Switch. - It just does not have the bandwidth to output full 4k, 60fps whilst providing full bandwidth to the USB ports in the dock, so something had to give... And Nintendo made the decision to cap it at 1080P, 60fps.

A revision is likely to rectify that limitation, but the converter in the dock (May or may not) also need some reworking in order to convert the higher resolution output.

So in short, the tablet and dock should both need to be upgraded.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Pyro as Bill said:

The Switch itself outputs Displayport over USB-C and the Dock converts that into HDMI, the Dock is just a "dumb device" for all intents and purposes...
The real issue is actually USB on the Switch. - It just does not have the bandwidth to output full 4k, 60fps whilst providing full bandwidth to the USB ports in the dock, so something had to give... And Nintendo made the decision to cap it at 1080P, 60fps.

A revision is likely to rectify that limitation, but the converter in the dock (May or may not) also need some reworking in order to convert the higher resolution output.

Thanks Pem. Looking at other USB to HDMI hubs that are compatible with NS, the max supported seems to be 4k@30fps.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pemalite said:
Agente42 said:

DF bias you see a distant 

Pyro as Bill said:

They just ignoring Nate Leak. This is a bias  analysis per see

Agente42 said:
Pemalite said:

Pyro as Bill said:

Leaks are unsubstantiated and not from an empirical source of truth.

If you want to believe a rumor/leak... That is entirely your prerogative, but something I cannot possibly adhere to.

The amount of "legitimate" leaks we got about the Switch is actually comedy central if you look back on the old threads.

Pyro as Bill said:

Thanks Pem. Looking at other USB to HDMI hubs that are compatible with NS, the max supported seems to be 4k@30fps.

HDMI 1.4 does 10.2Gbps to push out 4k, 30fps... And the Switch is USB 3.0 which if I remember correctly which is limited to about 5Gbps, which is perfect for 1080P.
You could do 4k on that link with chroma subsampling and some clever encoding, but not ideal... I guess Nintendo decided to upgrade that link entirely for full fat 4k 60.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

At this point I just wish they would unveil the pro, so we can stop having somewhat boring speculation threads on what minor enhancements to the original Switch will be made, and start having exciting threads on what major enhancements will be made with their next gen device.

Switch 2 theory threads > Switch Pro Theory Threads.

I miss the NX rumor days and the Project Cafe rumor days before that.

Pemalite said:
Agente42 said:

Leaks are unsubstantiated and not from an empirical source of truth.

If you want to believe a rumor/leak... That is entirely your prerogative, but something I cannot possibly adhere to.

The amount of "legitimate" leaks we got about the Switch is actually comedy central if you look back on the old threads.

Pyro as Bill said:

HDMI 1.4 does 10.2Gbps to push out 4k, 30fps... And the Switch is USB 3.0 which if I remember correctly which is limited to about 5Gbps, which is perfect for 1080P.
You could do 4k on that link with chroma subsampling and some clever encoding, but not ideal... I guess Nintendo decided to upgrade that link entirely for full fat 4k 60.

Nate is good insider. and other two sources confirms Nate leaks.