By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Monster Hunter Rise Thread

Not into these games but visually this game seems like a marvel on Switch hardware. Insanely impressive to me. Wow, Capcom!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I got up to the point I can now do 3 star quests. I'm really liking it so far. Tho I wish they had more hair options in the character creator. Having only one afro centric hairstyle is lame

Managed to "play" 3 hours yesterday, but, here's the thing, I never got past the character creation screen. As ridiculous as that sounds, the editor, while not too deep, it's deep enough to waste my time putting details here and there on my MC. To top it off, there are THREE characters you must customize. The dog and cat don't have too many options available but you still can change their colors however you like, so here you have me experimenting with every possible combination. It's horrifying, and I know I only have myself to blame for this but I love and hate when games have this option. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

My first MH game ever. So far I like it but to me the combat is still challangeing. Right now it’s more button mashing than controlled movements. I also have a hard time figuring out how to effectivley bind the monsters with wire bugs, they mostley seem to get away from me before I have a chance to deal any damage.

Around the Network

Ive played 25 hours already.. way better then World, atleast for me

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Metallox said:

Managed to "play" 3 hours yesterday, but, here's the thing, I never got past the character creation screen. As ridiculous as that sounds, the editor, while not too deep, it's deep enough to waste my time putting details here and there on my MC. To top it off, there are THREE characters you must customize. The dog and cat don't have too many options available but you still can change their colors however you like, so here you have me experimenting with every possible combination. It's horrifying, and I know I only have myself to blame for this but I love and hate when games have this option. 

I opened the detailed character editor... saw the amount of options... thought: nope!... choose a preset and confirmed. Ready to go!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Spindel said:

My first MH game ever. So far I like it but to me the combat is still challangeing. Right now it’s more button mashing than controlled movements. I also have a hard time figuring out how to effectivley bind the monsters with wire bugs, they mostley seem to get away from me before I have a chance to deal any damage.

What I learned in the beginning on Monster Hunter Tri and still works: in differences to enemies in other games the monsters here are living things. If you dodge their attacks early on (learn to dodge, it's important) they wear themself out and start to get tired. This leads to them stopping after a move, a chance for you to get a hit or two in. If it has taken some damage and is tired, it might even stnd still for about 5 seconds or so. Try to look for these openings and deal your damage at that point.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I'm 11 hours in and loving it! The wirebug attacks bring back the combat depth that I missed from older MonHun games. Currently running around as a Gunlance user. I love that you can aim up while charging a shell. Midair shots via ZL + ZR are great for hitting tall monsters in the head! Using ZL + X to uppercut monsters, and then firing 3 shells midair makes fighting flyers a breeze! The wirebug counter to sharpen your gunlance mid fight is great too. 

Kinda annoyed that the game has MTX in it, but at least they are stupidly cheap and would only set you back $19.99 for all the DLC.

Spindel said:

What weapon are you using?

Try to learn the monster's tells; they all have certain vocal and movement cues that tell you what move they're going to do next, allowing you to evade and position yourself for a counterattack.

You can make the fights easier by exploring the map to gather buffs from endemic life before heading to your prey, or eating a meal in the village before starting the quest.