By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Monster Hunter Rise Thread

So I’ve never played a MH game.

Can someone give me a short run down to help me decide if I should get this?

FWIW I liked Dragons Dogma and I’ve read it has some MH like aspects, don’t know if that is true tho.

Around the Network
Spindel said:

FWIW I liked Dragons Dogma and I’ve read it has some MH like aspects, don’t know if that is true tho.

There is a (new) demo to tryout on the switch eshop. You can play a couple missions which should give a good idea about how it plays. MH is mostly about the gameplay which has some similarities to Dragons dogma's big battles.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

I'm really exited to play rise. Didn't get into world as much as previous games but that might have been due to the monsters being a bit lacking and rise is looking really good on that front. Will be interesting to see how good many of the new charges are. Palamutes, wirebug and rampages all look interesting and lots of other small things.

Spindel said:

As Stefan says, there's a demo to try, but on a basic level if you enjoy challenging melee action games and don't play games primarily for the story, then there's a good chance you'll get a lot out of it.

curl-6 said:
Spindel said:

As Stefan says, there's a demo to try, but on a basic level if you enjoy challenging melee action games and don't play games primarily for the story, then there's a good chance you'll get a lot out of it.

Nah, I’ve said several times in this forum: stories in games is fluff. Most important in games is gameplay and atmosphere, one of witch is always lacking in ”story” driven games. And besides, stories in games are always embarresingly bad people need to start reading more books.

Around the Network
Spindel said:
curl-6 said:

Nah, I’ve said several times in this forum: stories in games is fluff. Most important in games is gameplay and atmosphere, one of witch is always lacking in ”story” driven games. And besides, stories in games are always embarresingly bad people need to start reading more books.

Well, Monster Hunter certainly isn't story driven, it's very much gameplay first, so if you're up for a challenge I'd say it's definitely worth it.

So, the game is close enough for me to finally let me hype up. Therefore I am joining the thread now. Game is already since the first reveal.

I am both excited and anxious. Excited for the first Monster Hunter on a big screen since Tri (or 3G on WiiU). Well, I don't have a PS4 or Xbox One, so I didn't try World. And I don't really count Generations. While the 3Ds-version were cool, Monster Hunter is a game which I think needs to be played on a big screen. Not for graphics, but to see details. If I can hear a Great Jaggi in some distance but only see him as 10 pixels on 3DS, that is kinda disappointing. So for me Rise will be the first big screen MonHun since quite some time (although I tend to play a little 3G from time to time, if I feel like it).

Anxious, because I heard about the streamlining in World and fear it may take out the thing that makes MonHun a great series. Don't get me wrong, some things are overly cumbersome in old MonHun. But a lot of making this great is watching the monster as you fight it and look for hints of what your attacks do. Or gear up specifically for the monster you fight and plan a way to go. I love the new mobility options though, I think fluid mobility is often very helpful. I hope though that fighting isn't too fast, as the somewhat slower attacks allowed to build a lot of depth in different weapons. Anyways, I guess I will see in a few weeks.

For what I gather so far: great monsters are revealed. They look awesome and they already showed a lot of attack patterns. The game itself looks better than should be allowed on Switch, even more surprising as MonHun never was the looker. The rampage looks and wyvern riding are sweet. And the now continuous environments without loading screens are very welcome.

A little less than two weeks now, time to get hyped.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

So, the game is close enough for me to finally let me hype up. Therefore I am joining the thread now. Game is already since the first reveal.

I am both excited and anxious. Excited for the first Monster Hunter on a big screen since Tri (or 3G on WiiU). Well, I don't have a PS4 or Xbox One, so I didn't try World. And I don't really count Generations. While the 3Ds-version were cool, Monster Hunter is a game which I think needs to be played on a big screen. Not for graphics, but to see details. If I can hear a Great Jaggi in some distance but only see him as 10 pixels on 3DS, that is kinda disappointing. So for me Rise will be the first big screen MonHun since quite some time (although I tend to play a little 3G from time to time, if I feel like it).

Anxious, because I heard about the streamlining in World and fear it may take out the thing that makes MonHun a great series. Don't get me wrong, some things are overly cumbersome in old MonHun. But a lot of making this great is watching the monster as you fight it and look for hints of what your attacks do. Or gear up specifically for the monster you fight and plan a way to go. I love the new mobility options though, I think fluid mobility is often very helpful. I hope though that fighting isn't too fast, as the somewhat slower attacks allowed to build a lot of depth in different weapons. Anyways, I guess I will see in a few weeks.

For what I gather so far: great monsters are revealed. They look awesome and they already showed a lot of attack patterns. The game itself looks better than should be allowed on Switch, even more surprising as MonHun never was the looker. The rampage looks and wyvern riding are sweet. And the now continuous environments without loading screens are very welcome.

A little less than two weeks now, time to get hyped.

Welcome!

I'm in the same boat as this being my first big screen Monster Hunter since Tri/3. I also feel the series just works better as a console experience.

From watching footage, weapons like the Great Sword, Hammer, Charge Blade, etc are still slow compared to most other melee action games, while even weapons like the sword and shield and dual blades don't seem any faster than in, say, 3U/4U. And you can turn off things like damage numbers too, which I'm going to.

Just got home with my copy of the game!

Setting up my file and customizing my character and doggie now, will post impressions once I get into the actual gameplay!

EDIT: Okay, gone on my first quest! Even just customizing my character and dog was fun as heck, you get tons of options and most look great. 

First of, the soundtrack's awesome, with a lot of traditional Japanese instrumentation and singing giving it a very distinct and appealing flavour.

The dialogue is sharply written and localized with the franchise's trademark humour, it runs smooth and looks crisp, and once you get used to them the wirebug controls feel fantastic and make the act of traversal in itself a joy.

So far I really have no complaints at all.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 March 2021

Okay, I've now slain several main monsters, built my first armor set, (full Great Izuchi, which i think I'll stick with for this tier) and crafted the bone sword and shield as well as upgrading the base Kamura dual blades.

They weren't kidding when they said they upped the pace; I was shocked to only have to kill Great Izuchi twice to craft his armor, in MH3 you had to kill a monster like 8-10 times to get a full set. I sure ain't complaining though.

With over 1000 hours of MH3 and hundreds of MH4 under my belt I have yet to actually die, but that's not to say it's a cakewalk as already the monsters are starting to keep me on my toes. 

The quality of life improvements from World like fast gathering, not having to stand still to drink a potion, and having a seamless map instead of separate zones are all very welcome.

Who else is on the hunting trail, is it just me so far?