By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Monster Hunter Rise Thread

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
curl-6 said:

New Monster Almudron in action:

Every time I think I've nailed it down, my mind goes to another. I simply can't figure out which is my favorite monster: Almudron, Goss Harag, or Rakna-Kadaki! They're all soooo good. 

This clip made me reconfirm Almudron ... for now

So far it's a very close call for me between Goss Harag and Almudron for best new Monster, though Magnomalo is pretty badass too, and all of them are at least good.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

4 more days (including today) until the Monster Hunter digital event. 

I'm pretty excited. One thing that is interesting is that the leaks of the Monster roster were apparently only based on marketing material, and even then Capcom has changed their marketing material a bit since the initial leaks (switched around what trailers the monsters were revealed in as well as what monsters would be in I think).

Datamining covered a lot of new ground as far as the roster goes. But the thing is, the datamining was only based on the demo, which obviously was scrubbed very clean. Despite this, we got a LOT of new soft-confirmations from it. Even moreso since they announced a few days ago that crafting materials from monsters that aren't in the game wouldn't be a thing in Rise, which basically confirmed a lot of monsters just by the material pieces that were datamined. 

The "base" roster of Large monsters, when including the datamined and leaked ones, is already pretty big, especially compared to World. What's going to be interesting is what Elder Dragons they confirm, though. We have

Spoiler!
6 confirmed already (5 if you don't include Jhen Mohran). And we know that the Elder Dragon Chameleos is going to be the first free DLC monster. We also know there's going to be two "Elder-Dragon tier" monsters (I guess 3 if you include Bazelguise, but he's pretty easy to be considered Elder-Dragon tier). I kind of wonder if there's a few more Elder Dragons that are yet to be confirmed because the demo was mostly spotless, or if we know them all already. In general I wonder that for all the monsters, but I almost feel llike it'd be too greedy to expect more large monsters, so i'm mostly curious about Elders (especially since they are usually the most important end-game content. 

Ordinarily I'd be super psyched for the Digital Event, but after the amount of coverage we've gotten so far, with four trailers and two previous "Directs", I feel like I've seen enough haha.

Just three weeks to go til I have the game in my Switch; hopefully Crash 4 will help those weeks go by at a pace faster than treacle flowing uphill in Canada.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Digital Event live!

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 March 2021

So I’ve never played a MH game.

Can someone give me a short run down to help me decide if I should get this?

FWIW I liked Dragons Dogma and I’ve read it has some MH like aspects, don’t know if that is true tho.

Around the Network
Spindel said:

FWIW I liked Dragons Dogma and I’ve read it has some MH like aspects, don’t know if that is true tho.

There is a (new) demo to tryout on the switch eshop. You can play a couple missions which should give a good idea about how it plays. MH is mostly about the gameplay which has some similarities to Dragons dogma's big battles.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

I'm really exited to play rise. Didn't get into world as much as previous games but that might have been due to the monsters being a bit lacking and rise is looking really good on that front. Will be interesting to see how good many of the new charges are. Palamutes, wirebug and rampages all look interesting and lots of other small things.

Spindel said:

As Stefan says, there's a demo to try, but on a basic level if you enjoy challenging melee action games and don't play games primarily for the story, then there's a good chance you'll get a lot out of it.

curl-6 said:
Spindel said:

As Stefan says, there's a demo to try, but on a basic level if you enjoy challenging melee action games and don't play games primarily for the story, then there's a good chance you'll get a lot out of it.

Nah, I’ve said several times in this forum: stories in games is fluff. Most important in games is gameplay and atmosphere, one of witch is always lacking in ”story” driven games. And besides, stories in games are always embarresingly bad people need to start reading more books.

Spindel said:
curl-6 said:

Nah, I’ve said several times in this forum: stories in games is fluff. Most important in games is gameplay and atmosphere, one of witch is always lacking in ”story” driven games. And besides, stories in games are always embarresingly bad people need to start reading more books.

Well, Monster Hunter certainly isn't story driven, it's very much gameplay first, so if you're up for a challenge I'd say it's definitely worth it.