By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Great graphics, shame about the gameplay

mZuzek said:
RolStoppable said:

On topic: Metroid: Other M is an easy choice.

No it's not, that game is hideous.

nah. On a technical level, it's pretty impressive for Wii. Art design tho, I'd agree there. It's pretty bland. Not a great game for sure.  People should have bought Sin & Punishment: Star Successor instead.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Sonic 06

There'd be two for me, Beyond Two Souls and the rather forgotten The Last Guardian.

They're both such beautifully presented games, even if you notice the tells in The Last Guardian as that was supposed to come out for the PS3, but each have their own different flaws with their gameplay.

Beyond Two Souls is heavily lacking in gameplay as it's a lot of Quick Time Events. And the story just doesn't make much sense due to deliberately making the chapters/moments not be told in chronological order (and we even have a single chapter be told out of order), which breaks so much tension with what happens as you are kind of spoiled already. Overall an unsatisfying game to play through despite giving it so many chances and was the game that taught me that graphics alone is not enough to save it.

The Last Guardian is a better and much more charmingly told story, well presented and a intriguing world but trying to put up with the gameplay man; the way it is built, it is incredibly frustrating and really tests your patience with relying on the AI of Trico to work with you. Creative but definitely not something I'd go and play again in a rush.

Each time after playing games like these, I'd always want to go back to say a 16-bit style platformer that has tight controls and does what I want to do.

h2ohno said:
Has no one mentioned The Order 1886? That's basically the poster child for this.

Everyone has forgotten the game existed.

h2ohno said:

The Conduit. On a technical level it was probably the best-looking Wii game at the time, and the controls were perfection, but the level and encounter design really dragged it down. Too much of having to destroy pods or conduits on the walls, dealing with invisible mines, or those giant bullet sponge crab things. Online multiplayer was a blast with those controls though.

Oh, right. You are right, it looked great for the Wii and shooting was fun, but level design was more forgettable.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

All of the Uncharted Games. They look great, but they're soooo repetitive......

Around the Network

Journey. Though I think it's a stretch to call the way you interact with that title gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

For me, quite a few come to mind.

Starfox Adventures, Resident Evil 5 & 6, Beyond Two Souls, Heavy Rain, Metroid Other M, Trine 2 & 3, Conduit 1 & 2, Rogue Squadron 2 & 3, GTA5, Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid 4.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 September 2020

the order 1886, absolutely stunning graphics / generic gameplay...

I thought it was going to be an rpg well i thought wrong haha!

plus why do re5 and re6 gameplay suck?

re6 has sliding maybe some dodgy cover system,
but the character controls were amazing.

yeah re5 has same tank controls as re4 but that doesn't mean that re5 was crappy gameplay in anyway?

LivncA_Dis3 said:

plus why do re5 and re6 gameplay suck?

re6 has sliding maybe some dodgy cover system,
but the character controls were amazing.

yeah re5 has same tank controls as re4 but that doesn't mean that re5 was crappy gameplay in anyway?

Just personally, I found the forced co-op and shitty partner AI ruined RE5, and the incessant QTEs, barely interactive setpieces, and bloated excess killed RE6.

Genji on ps2