By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Great graphics, shame about the gameplay

mZuzek said:
RolStoppable said:

On topic: Metroid: Other M is an easy choice.

No it's not, that game is hideous.

That game is great. The narrative is a bit....off. But the gameplay is top. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
vivster said:
Breath of the Wild.

Look, everyone! This is the day when vivster conceded that 30 fps in a game is fine.

Only if you include performance in graphics, which nobody who matters does. 30FPS is acceptable in some games and in this particular case it was definitely not what made me quit the game.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

HoloDust said:
d21lewis said:
David Cage.

Every game he's made.
Yes, I enjoy them and I often enjoy the stories but they really aren't fun to play. Don't think I've replayed a single one of them after I beat them once (even though I always intend to). After about half an hour, I move on to something else.

Omicron is actually quite good game (something that fans are still hoping would get announced sequel some day), if somewhat unpolished and bit too ahead of its time. Indigo Prophecy is fairly solid experience, if you like P&C adventure games. Rest...yeah, he went too much in indulging his inner Hollywood director wannabe.

Owned it once upon a time. It was beyond awful. Horrible gameplay. Stupid obtuse areas that tell you nothing how to progress. It's the game that makes me realize why the rest of his games have practically no real gameplay. Trying to hide how inept he is as a level and game designer.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Vectorman, Turok 2, can't think of one from PS2/GC/Xbox generation, Resident Evil 6, HellBlade.

Red Dead Redemption 2 immediately came to mind

Around the Network

I played Uncharted 1 through the Collection for PS4 and was bored to death with the repetitive gameplay. The story wasn't THAT interesting either (for me) but even being just the remaster of a 2007 PS3 game, I was quite impressed with the graphics and surely it must had been an amazing experience back then if only for the graphics.

Has no one mentioned The Order 1886? That's basically the poster child for this.

Naughty Dog games in general. Even going back to the Crash Bandicoot trilogy they just seemed kind of backwards in the gameplay department despite how good the visuals were for the time. It was basically taking Donkey Kong Country, moving the camera behind the character, and making the levels blander.

The Conduit. On a technical level it was probably the best-looking Wii game at the time, and the controls were perfection, but the level and encounter design really dragged it down. Too much of having to destroy pods or conduits on the walls, dealing with invisible mines, or those giant bullet sponge crab things. Online multiplayer was a blast with those controls though.

Fuck it,I'm going there.

Final Fight. Looked good on SNES but it's average to me. Esp after Streets of Rage, TMNT, Sengoku 2,X-Men, and more from that era. Capcom themselves had much better beat em ups in that era. Final Fight feels average next to those.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Dante9 said:
Can't really remember anything like that. Usually a quality game is high quality all around. But I guess these things are a matter of taste to an extent.
I don't get the hate for The Last of Us games, though. The combat is not supposed to be a first person shooter or some kind of arcade fun fest, it's supposed to feel like being yourself in that situation, trying to hit a charging monster or person in a messed up situation. It's realistic, awkward, difficult and you hope you don't run out of bullets because they're scarce. In a zombie apocalypse, you would not be Master Chief or the Doom guy, you would be crapping your pants trying to hit something.

Realism in video games doesn't necessarily translate to fun in video games. I do agree that this game has a very realistic element (although let's be honest one person dragging a little girl around beating a room of 20 bad guys with guns one by one doesn't scream realistic to me). I'll take the original Metal Gear Solid on PS one. The game was stealth and realistic but the action was way faster than in the Last of Us.

Plus in the end the game sold well so it seems to me I might be in the minority with regards to my opinion. I'm just pointing something out I did not enjoy about that game to the point I thought it was best to watch the rest of the game on YouTube than beating it myself. 

mZuzek said:
Peh said:

That game is great. The narrative is a bit....off. But the gameplay is top. 

yikes

I see no counter-argument, so I am right :3

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3