By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Great graphics, shame about the gameplay

The Last of Us Part 2/Order 1886/FF13 all three/ Resident Evil 6/ Resident Evil 3 Remake/ No Mans Sky at launch

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Captain_Yuri said:

There isn't much to do other than to watch the beauty and fly from one place to another. It's call Flight Sim for a reason but they could have added a lot more scenarios to have some interesting gameplay... Hell there isn't even any music. At least give me some Zen music instead of just hearing the engines scream.

I mean, you could always turn on music outside of the game, which is how pilots would do it anyway. The whole game is about realism, so that makes sense. Except for the part where, uh, I don't think pilots are allowed to do that while piloting. But I don't know.

As for the thread, ehh... It's kinda hard to me to think of crappy gameplay in a game I thought was pretty, because the two go hand in hand for me. There are games that are so pretty they kinda carry the gameplay, and a lot of games I think are pretty because I just like the game too much. But thinking about it for a bit, the one that comes to mind is BioShock: Infinite. I had never played a BioShock game in 2013 when a lot of people I knew were hyping this one up, so I gave it a shot. I remember setting everything to Ultra just for the heck of it, knowing it'd run like crap, then being amazed not only at how incredible the game looked, but also that somehow my PC was handling it quite well. The game had me hooked for the first 20 minutes, which is the prologue, and then the gameplay kicked in. Suddenly it turned into the most generic shooter, shoot everything and everyone, bam bam. I was expecting all of the shooting to end at some point with the story picking up or other aspects of gameplay showing up, but no, it was 1 hour, then 2 hours, of just straight up shooty shoot everything. I'm not exactly a fan of FPS games, so, yeah.

Yeah, I have to second this. The first impression as I played it was: how pretty. The second impression: how linear. The third: how boring.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

Any walking sim ever. All on visual, little on gameplay.

Crysis as well.

Leynos said:
How I feel playing a Naughty Dog game. I just feel every game I tried of theirs had mediocre gameplay but on a technical leval at times looked a generation ahead. Then again how I feel playing most AAA games, good visuals, average to poor mechanics.

I really hope this isn't referring to any of the Jak and Daxter games they developed.

Wont elaborate, but TLOZ Skyward Sword is my go-to for this topic.
To a lesser extent, Death Stranding.

Around the Network

David Cage.

Every game he's made.
Yes, I enjoy them and I often enjoy the stories but they really aren't fun to play. Don't think I've replayed a single one of them after I beat them once (even though I always intend to). After about half an hour, I move on to something else.

mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

Metroid Prime comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

super_etecoon said:
Leynos said:
How I feel playing a Naughty Dog game. I just feel every game I tried of theirs had mediocre gameplay but on a technical leval at times looked a generation ahead. Then again how I feel playing most AAA games, good visuals, average to poor mechanics.

I really hope this isn't referring to any of the Jak and Daxter games they developed.

I have yet to like anything they have made. Didn't like Jak & Daxter either.  Felt like about any PS2 era platformer to me. The second one tried to be GTA and was just dumb.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

RolStoppable said:

On topic: Metroid: Other M is an easy choice.

No it's not, that game is hideous.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker comes to mind. The visual style of that game is so filled with personality and has aged extremely well. Unfortunately below the surface the gameplay is painfully average by Zelda standards.
Of the Naughty Dogs games of the 7th and 8th generation I have only tried the first two Uncharted games, both of which were more about visuals than being games that felt good to play unfortunately.
The first Sonic Adventure had outstanding graphics for the time, the game itself was completely broken though.