By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Great graphics, shame about the gameplay

Leynos said:
How I feel playing a Naughty Dog game. I just feel every game I tried of theirs had mediocre gameplay but on a technical leval at times looked a generation ahead. Then again how I feel playing most AAA games, good visuals, average to poor mechanics.

I really hope this isn't referring to any of the Jak and Daxter games they developed.

Around the Network

Wont elaborate, but TLOZ Skyward Sword is my go-to for this topic.
To a lesser extent, Death Stranding.

David Cage.

Every game he's made.
Yes, I enjoy them and I often enjoy the stories but they really aren't fun to play. Don't think I've replayed a single one of them after I beat them once (even though I always intend to). After about half an hour, I move on to something else.

Metroid Prime comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

super_etecoon said:
Leynos said:
How I feel playing a Naughty Dog game. I just feel every game I tried of theirs had mediocre gameplay but on a technical leval at times looked a generation ahead. Then again how I feel playing most AAA games, good visuals, average to poor mechanics.

I really hope this isn't referring to any of the Jak and Daxter games they developed.

I have yet to like anything they have made. Didn't like Jak & Daxter either.  Felt like about any PS2 era platformer to me. The second one tried to be GTA and was just dumb.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker comes to mind. The visual style of that game is so filled with personality and has aged extremely well. Unfortunately below the surface the gameplay is painfully average by Zelda standards.
Of the Naughty Dogs games of the 7th and 8th generation I have only tried the first two Uncharted games, both of which were more about visuals than being games that felt good to play unfortunately.
The first Sonic Adventure had outstanding graphics for the time, the game itself was completely broken though.

d21lewis said:
David Cage.

Every game he's made.
Yes, I enjoy them and I often enjoy the stories but they really aren't fun to play. Don't think I've replayed a single one of them after I beat them once (even though I always intend to). After about half an hour, I move on to something else.

Omicron is actually quite good game (something that fans are still hoping would get announced sequel some day), if somewhat unpolished and bit too ahead of its time. Indigo Prophecy is fairly solid experience, if you like P&C adventure games. Rest...yeah, he went too much in indulging his inner Hollywood director wannabe.

The Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 are are stand outs for me from this generation. Both games look amazing, but the gameplay is a cluncky mess. Worst of all traversal is terrible in both titles, making exploring the beautiful worlds a painful expereince.

There are probably others, these are just the two I really wanted to play, and look absolutely amazing, but I had to stop playing because the gameplay was so bad.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

d21lewis said:
David Cage.

Every game he's made.

I think that might be due to the point and click narrative driven aspect of it. I love the genre, but I will never replay those types of games because one I've played a long story driven game and figured out the mystery there is little reason to come back to them.

Games like Teltales the Walking Dead series, The Wolf Among Us, Until Dawn, Life if Strange, Heavy Rain and most recently Detroit: Too Human etc are all good games though not games I play to 'play' a game. More like if I wanted to watch an interactive novel, but have my own choices and path.

For me, FFXV comes to mind. A great looking game but horrible and unsatisfying combat. Not helped by terrible controls and camera angles. Then there is the barren and uninteresting world and the traveling, which takes too long between missions. I could deal with playing a FF with its usual convoluted (but usually interesting) stories but I had to put my controller down after a few hours. Game reeks all style, no substance.

Last edited by hinch - on 26 September 2020

Detroit:Become Human
Crisis 3
Heavy Rain
Beyond: Two Souls
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XV
South Park: Stick of Truth
Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario + Rabbits Kingdom Battle