By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game prices should not rise

"Game makers don't need the extra money".
Meanwhile, I just think of all the studios that have gone under over the last couple of generations.

Around the Network

I'll just leave this here. Keep in mind, Games can also be sold digitally. There's no reason for a $70 price tag at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye-C-OOFsX8

There are ways to cut down development. A new console shouldn't be an excuse to raise prices on games.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Ka-pi96 said:

In 2020 people still believe in comparing the purchase of luxury products that aren't needed at all with purchasing things that people literally depend on to continue living...

Not saying both products are comparable at all

Just stating that's not how market works. It's a illusion, some may think not buying will lead to a decrease in price when it's not true 

Each product price needs it's own analysis. I explained why it won't work in this case. Will explain again just in case:

1) When sales increase, prices tends to drop as fixed costs will be split in more units

2) Softwares costs are overwhelmingly fixed with almost no additional cost in each digital copy, so higher sales would lead to prices drop 

3) Sales are increasing and yet prices are increasing too?

Surely it's increasing because they want higher profits, not because their business are demanding more revenues

Pretty big difference in terms of overall usefulness, but people want what they want based on their specific situation. Some would like for cheaper better healthcare, some would like for cheaper better gaming products. Not a great direct comparison but has some merit.

Thing is it depends on what is done with those profits. If they are distributed properly and put to good use in a manner that future gaming related products are deemed worthy by consumers, then it's not as big of a deal. If it's seemingly wasted based on poor future products, then people have a problem.

sales2099 said:
I don’t think they have to rise due to dev costs. But I do think they have to rise due to inflation. We been paying $60 for over 20 years.

Prices have wildly fluctuated in Canada. I still have a receipt for Blood Omen 2, which came out in 2002, for $108. About 5 years after that, prices dropped by around $40, and stayed there until a late 2013/early 2014 price hike, where it remained until this gen's increase.  It's been a WILD ride up here for the last 30 years. As for now, base prices for new games in the upcoming gen will be up to approximately $97 in my province, which is gross.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

IcaroRibeiro said:

They are increasing prices because they can. We lost

They don't need to. People who believes in inflation excuses are fools. Software is a highly scalable product, the unit cost is negligible, development costs are mostly fixed, meaning once you get the break-even pretty much everything you sell are profits.

In software sales a small 10% increase in revenue will reflect almost fully in profits, specially if the sales are digital. And guess what, software sales are only increasing and digital sales getting even higher shares

And AAA developers are always reaching their break-even, period. Indeed development costs are increasing only because those developers can pay them

Big budgets are mostly determined based on the profits from other games anyway, unless you are a indie and indies are not the ones who are increasing prices

To be clear: indies are the ones most at risk to not break even on costs. If anyone, they shoudl increase prices. And you are fully right, budgets of games increase, because they can. That is why game companies compete over biggest open world and nicest graphics, because they can afford the budget and push others out of the game if they can't. That could become a problem down the line even for big companies, but currently all the big ones are making profits.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
"Game makers don't need the extra money".
Meanwhile, I just think of all the studios that have gone under over the last couple of generations.

If you ask yourself, where all the money is:

"In 2019, Kotick's total compensation at Activision Blizzard fell to $30.1 million, down from his 2018 package of $31 million in salary, bonus, perks, stock and options. 85% of his 2018 compensation came from stock and options. He was the 21st most highly compensated CEO in the United States that year. He also earned 319 times more than the average Activision Blizzard employee's salary of $97,000 in that year, putting him in 75th place among U.S. CEOs."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Kotick

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

It is kinda a good incentive to put our money where our mouth is , makes us a bit more sensitive to give those 70 dollars to devs that earn them.

I don't care, I buy games only on sales for 5 to 15 daalas.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

TheBraveGallade said:
I think the problem more or less stems from the fact that most people are used to waiting for sales now...
Nintendo completly bypassed that issue and is doing just fine delivering at 60$, for example, even though their games have LESS margins becasue each kart costs at least several dollars VS a disc costing pennies, and thats considering that people would have bought BOTW and SMO at 80 if they sold it at 80. they can do this because they can afford to keep the prices high without sacrificing sales numbers long term, becasue people are used to them not dropping price aside from the holiday 10$ sales or bumdles. it also eases the mid of the consumer knowing that they don't have to wait for sales, meaning day one sales are through the roof.

I'm just saying, games could probably afford to be as low as 40$ without microtransactions if sales never dipped below 30$.... but everyone is used to game prices dropping off a cliff after 6 months to do this

This is what I was thinking, too, although this is a very unpopular opinion. Gamers nowadays are expecting price cuts and deals if they just wait a while. So companies invent new and creative methods to squeeze more money out of our pockets, also known as screwing us backwards. This customer behavior surely doesn't explain everything about the situation, but it is one major aspect of why we are in this mess. I believe we have ourselves to blame as well and not only the companies, since we are the ones who wait for bargain prices and we are at the same time the ones who fall for DLCs and MTXs.

m0ney said:
I don't care, I buy games only on sales for 5 to 15 daalas.

Q.E.D.

Mnementh said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

COD should be F2P or at the very least $30. You can't monetise your game like a f2p game and then expect people to pay $60 just so they could have the privilege of buying a battle pass and cod points for all their extra bs throughout the year. Same with sports games.

I personally see the sports game as the most appalling. These are games that are not new developments each year, but upgrades on engine, physics and roster still relying on the work of previous years, but then sell it at full price for the *basic* version (you still can pay more for gold or ultimate or whatever) *and* microtransactions on top. This is just greed. no one can tell me the development cost on these break the bank. They just get away with all that stuff, therefore they do it.

A lot of game's season updates have more new content than the difference between 2 editions of a sports game. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'