By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game prices should not rise

Considering the sheer amount of business models put on top of other business models on modern games, they would have some nerve if they decide to increase the base price.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

The average game is free and not just some crappy smartphone game but the biggest game(s) in the industry.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I think it's not much of a problem these days when subscriptions like PS Plus and Game Pass offer you several games for a shorter price, and also that game prices tend to drop shortly after releases, with exceptions like Nintendo, of course. What I mean to say is that, at least, the impact of the price increases is not as accentuated as it used in the past.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I agree that they shouldn`t, and yes even though the costs rose the sales and profits also rose so there wouldn`t be a need for it. But considering inflation i can understand why it did.
Still that will only mean it will take longer for me to buy those games (waiting for prices to reach 10-15 as I did before) with even lower number of games deserving paying the full price.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Zkuq said:
There's some good points there, but to be able to come to conclusion, I also think an argument needs to also have some numbers to back it up. Sure, physical copies are cheaper to make (at least I would assume - of course Blu-ray discs might be more expensive than CDs). On the other hand, all those new revenue streams might not be enough to cover the losses elsewhere. Or they might be, but we can't know for sure without knowing how much money is spent on creating and marketing new games and how much money is being made from new channels such as season passes and microtransactions. I would assume it all also depends on the game, since some games have no microtransactions whereas some are free and rely completely on them.

That said, I'm quite skeptical about recent talks about increasing the prices because of development costs. I expect new revenue channels to have fixed the situation, and I doubt the new generation is enough to really change that enough to really justify increasing game prices. I think it's possible that game prices are being increased because a new generation is seen as a chance to try to do so - and also because it's probably getting harder to come up with new revenue streams that don't anger the consumers.

I guess the milk from the new revenue channels isn't enough anymore. We've been getting more and more micro transactions and DLC for 2 generations now, which allowed to keep the game prices the same. Also the increase in digital sales and decline in second hand sales must have added more revenue. However that growth has slowed down, second hand market is pretty much done, while people have gotten used to digital game sharing and waiting for sales.

There is also more choice than ever, or more competition than ever since digital distribution is so much easier, while on the other side the user base isn't really growing anymore. People still expect bigger and better yet that can only go on as long as the user base grows along at the same pace.

Then there is inflation, salaries, although low, still go up. Hardware costs to make games goes up. Office building costs go up. Distribution costs go up, server maintenance costs go up. 'pesky consumer rights' aka returns go up. The same team, in the same building, working for the same amount of time, still costs more nowadays.

However, judging by the reactions in this thread, it could become a downward spiral. More people waiting for sales or switching to game pass, less people paying full price, less revenue, prices go up further.

Around the Network

$60 has been the standard for modern spec home consoles since 2005. $50 was typical from NES onward. N64 games were a notable fluke in home consoles, with most first-party games at $59.99. And Ocarina of Time was more than that. Most Atari 2600 games I believe were $39.99.
I agree they don't need to go up to $70 yet. That could've waited until the tenth generation. But it's really not too big of a deal, ultimately. Games are getting more and more expensive to develop.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Inflation might have been a good argument to make for a while except now. Purchasing power is going down, increasing prices now would be pretty stupid.

Back in the 80s, I'd save for weeks to buy a $50 game that I'd beat in a day. Games often took a few months to develop.

During the N64 days, and even during the 16-bit era, games often cost $80+. It was amazing to me when PS1 games cost $40 on day one and even as low as $9. Everything has gone up since then. I'd buy a comic book for 75 cents (whatever happened to the "cents symbol", anyway?" and now they cost like $5 each.

I can see games going up in price. For what we're getting now compared to what we were happy with back then, it's a HUGE value.

Leynos said:

Games have been $60 since 2005. Not over 20 years. Devs costs go uop because they keep making 800 man teams that are on crunch. How about less crunch. Smaller teams.  Games are going up in price because of greed. Nothing less. Nothing more. You are still getting microtransactions. Still getting loads of overly priced DLC that should be in the game. Still getting Gold and Ultimate editions and guides how to buy a game. Anyone who honestly thinks it's a needed changed had been fooled. Some devs who have worked in AAA will tell you things would still ve fine at $50. (I know one and he knows many) This is the most greedy industry entertainment-wise. It's zapping my passion for it.

Take 200 devs, pay them 50k a year. You end up spending $10M I wages for that one year. Say it takes that team 3 years to make a game, so that game costs you $30M in wages. Increase that team to 300 people, throw in lots of crunch (probably) unpaid overtime, it would still cost you $30M to make that game, but you will finish it in 2 years instead of three.

You can do it slow or fast. But you can not do either cheap.

I think that while the increase of game prices was inevitable, it’s sorta done in bad timing. Mainly due to the economic situation the world is in and the fact that we have subscriptions to consider whether it be Gamepass, PS+, etc. and the dlc and microtransactions that costumers have been dealing with. It’s no longer about just having the box and games to play.

It doesn’t create a feeling that higher budgets, more complex game developments = better quality games. It’s just makes buying games a little more inconvenient, especially for the casual consumer. We’ve already established a mentality that $10 more is too much to the casual consumer. Unless it’s the hot game their kids are desperate to buy, parents may be more reluctant to buy more games for them. I don’t have any statistics to go off of, but I just have this feeling that $69.99 may sway consumers a little differently than $59.99.