Forums - Gaming Discussion - Thoughts on 69.99$ games for Next Gen Consoles?

Thoughts on 70$ games next gen?

I'm happy with it, more money=better value 6 5.83%

I'm ok with it 26 25.24%

Don't like it, but will tolerate it 29 28.16%

Completely against it, won't tolerate it 42 40.78%

Total:103
Barkley said:

It was the same at the beginning of last generation. They tried to use the new launch as an excuse to raise prices. Though things returned to normal fairly quickly.

Just look at the price of PS4 launch games in UK:

Assassin's Creed 4 - £54.99
Battlefield 4 - £54.99
Call of Duty Ghosts - £54.99
Fifa 14 - £54.99
Need for Speed Rivals - £54.99

Its a weird situation in the UK. I think its more down to the retailer to price and margins as well as publishers rrp.

At launch, it was £55 per game.with a few months dropped down to £45-48. But over the years its gradually gone up as consumers are used to spending more on bigger releases. Games are averaging at £50, now. I'm assuming this will follow the same trend - £55 for launch PS5/Xbox Series X games.

I'm doubt it will go any higher than it is now though, for us anyway.

Around the Network
TheBraveGallade said:
If they wern't so adverse to going beyond the 60$ price point the DLCpocalype wouldn't have been as severe lol, if games naturally followed inflation or maybe a bit more they would be at 80, at least for AAA titles, while lower games would be at 60.

Everything about these AAA corporations is about making as much money as possible without a thought toward morality, building customer trust and long-term ramifications. I guarantee you that if this current generation of games had an $80 price tag, then loot boxes, microtransactions, season passes, cut content sold back as DLC, and every other form of gaming industry BS would still be as prevalent as long as customers are willing to pay for them.

And for all of the people talking about inflation, let's talk about this: how many of these AAA corporations are paying tax dollars to run their operations? How many of them are operating off of taxpayer money before said taxpayers even buy the $60 starter kit that is now most AAA games?

EDIT: How could I have forgotten to even mention digital sales, where publishers don't have to share profits with brick and mortar vendors, don't have to worry about returns on most storefronts, don't have to worry about games being sold as used where they don't make a profit, and don't have to worry about customers sharing copies with friends? That alone should cancel out any talk about game price compensating for inflation.

It's funny. Every time a new console generation comes off, you'll hear people say how new technology is going to make game development easier and less expensive.
Than you'll hear publishers say costs are rising every generation.
Maybe (just maybe) budgets are increasing just beacuse publishers are willing to increase them.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
V-r0cK said:

How is 3rd party game price increase a part of Sony's mistake?

Do you think this is only Take 2 doing the price increase or do you think it is industry wide?  The most influential company industry wide is Sony.  If this price becomes the standard on their system then they are definitely responsible.  It's their system.  They are responsible for what happens on their system.

As for the bolded, so you're saying that Sony is responsible for pricing of all Xbox and Nintendo games too? haha this has got to be a joke.  Do you think Apple dictates the pricing of all android phones too?

Each publisher is responsible for their own pricing of games (ie. like how some remaster are cheaper than new games at launched full price etc.) and like how Nintendo can keep their games full priced for years.  Sony hasn't even released the pricing of their games yet you're pointing at them for this increase. For all we know Sony can keep their game prices at $59 and will make 2K look bad as a money grubbing company for jacking up their price. 

If anything 2K being the first to release the price of $69 for next gen games have opened up doors for other publishers to allow their games to also be released at $69 as well.

But whatever you're thinking, this isn't Sony's fault.  Sony only has pricing control over it's own system and it's own games.

javi741 said:
vonny said:

PS2 games were $50 in 2000 which is $73 with inflation, Video game development is significantly more expensive now than 20 years ago. The flat line increase for video games is a large part of why crunch culture exist in the industry.  

Games this gen are also selling far better now then they were in the year 2000. Many franchises at the time like GTA were extremely young and didn't have an established brand or foothold in the market yet as it takes years for games to become extremely popular. The gaming industry has also grown exponentially since the PS2 era and will only keep growing.

GTA sales this gen obviously are killing the sales of the older GTA games right now, the COD franchise is more popular than ever, even Nintendo games are selling the best in their respective franchises on the Switch. Many other franchises like Uncharted, Witcher 3, NBA 2K and more are selling better than ever this gen, so that kinda makes up for the higher development cost of games over time, also there's DLC, Microt-transactions, digital distribution that cuts out the middle man, making more money for these developers.

"Games this gen are also selling far better now then they were in the year 2000."

Nowadays games are also far more expensive to develop than games in the 2000s. PS2 games only had a budget of a few millions. You'd need at least a million or two in extra sales to break even on 7th and 8th gen games. For EVERY SINGLE game.

"COD franchise is more popular than ever"

Where did you get that from? The best selling CoD games were from the PS3/360 era.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/321374/global-all-time-unit-sales-call-of-duty-games/
NPD source: https://www.shacknews.com/article/115860/call-of-duty-games-were-10-of-the-top-15-best-selling-titles-of-the-decade

"Many other franchises like Uncharted, Witcher 3, NBA 2K and more are selling better than ever this gen"

I can list several franchises that are in decline: Just Dance, Gran Turismo, Battlefield etc. What's your point again?

"The gaming industry has also grown exponentially since the PS2 era and will only keep growing."

The gaming industry as a whole - yes, but the console market has NOT grown exponentially.

50% of the revenue comes from smartphone-, tablet- and casual browser games. How does that help the devs and publishers of console and PC games again?

"also there's DLC, Microt-transactions, digital distribution that cuts out the middle man, making more money for these developers."

Which was exactly the reason why the $10 raise didn't come earlier.

Last edited by Barozi - on 04 July 2020

Around the Network

I'm not happy about spending more money but it makes sense, money is worth less than it was in 2005 when $60 games became a standard. It was only a matter of time, and to be honest it has most likely been at least partly a factor in publishers increasing the amounts of DLC and other micro-purchases in games because they're not pulling in as much profit from a single game purchase like they used to.

Last edited by Raven - on 04 July 2020

This video is about 3 years old, but is still very relevant.  I sure as hell will not be paying $70 for games.  I'll be waiting for sales until they hit a reasonable price point.

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing/Backlog:
Wii U - Currently Gaming Like It's 2014 (Hyrule Warriors) - 11 games in backlog
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2013 (Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon) - 7 games in backlog
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 (Borderlands 2) - 11 games in backlog
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

I think the increase to $69.99 MSRP was overdue. I rarely buy games at launch or at full price thought. You have to take 15 years of inflation into account. I expect many publishers will follow suit and yes the DLC and Microstransactions will continue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

I would like to see games be reviewed much harsher and Micro payments/DLC reduced then.

Too much bloat in games and too much reliance on expensive celebrities as an ego trip. I don’t really care about Norman Reedus or Keanu Reeves. And we were told incomplete games with MTX out the aaa were keeping game prices down. 

With the exception of rare RPGs with good collectors editions, will not be buying games at $70.