By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Thoughts on 69.99$ games for Next Gen Consoles?

Thoughts on 70$ games next gen?

I'm happy with it, more money=better value 6 5.77%

I'm ok with it 26 25.00%

Don't like it, but will tolerate it 30 28.85%

Completely against it, won't tolerate it 42 40.38%

Total:104

Totally don't like and with prices at 60USD I already wait for most games to drop to 10-15 or even less for some games... with prices at 70 I'll only buy very few games at launch. And if Sony put more games on PC at launch I will just drop console gaming.

Worse yet is 2K saying their games like NBA is the ones that deserve 70USD price tag because they are more valuable... the games that drop faster than anything as soon as the roster change so in a year they go from 60 to 10. For me yearly games should be 60 for one copy and then at most 10 bucks to update the yearley roster and other details.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 04 July 2020

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

People keep telling me that the PS5 will not repeat the same mistakes that the PS3 made.  But so far all signs point to "yes".  This is just another sign.

How is 3rd party game price increase a part of Sony's mistake?

Cause of reasons.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

You can't do inflation comparisons when the hardware (carts) made up 50% of the cost.

$/MB has gone through the floor to the point that the average game is free.
Entertainment/MB has gone in the opposite direction.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Just out of interest, which option do people consider the least value/expensive?

A $60 game that's worth $10 after 12 months or a $100 game that's still worth (trade-in) $90, 5 years later?

Angelus said:
In theory, I'm fine with publishers increasing the price of games as the production costs increase over time. Makes sense.

In practice, they can mostly fuck off. Last time I checked, their profit margins haven't exactly been shrinking, have they? No, they've consistently increased. Thanks in no small part, to what have become increasingly aggressive microtransactions across most of gaming's biggest franchises. Are these nickel and dime business practices going to stop with a $10 increase to the price of admission? Please....nobody can be that naive. These companies would stand to lose immeasurably more money from that reversal, than they would stand to gain by increasing the base price by a measly 10 bucks. Games like GTA, and Fortnite are collecting, on average, around $100 or more from it's players annually. Sure, that's at the high end of the spectrum, but you get the idea.

Now, if somebody like CDPR was to say they're raising the price of their games by $10, fine. I know they're going to provide me with a complete experience, and deliver quality, long term support for their game. I'm willing to pay a certain premium if the experience is both high quality, and free of predatory BS. Sadly, this is becoming more and more of a rare exception. I can count on one hand the amount of studios/publishers I'd be willing to spend up for in good conscience.

As a result, I fully expect that I'll be leaning even more heavily on GamePass next gen, and otherwise waiting on sales.

I couldn't have said it any better!

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Inflation is reality and I’m very surprised gamers don’t know what it is. Game development gets more expensive every gen and yet prices stayed the same for at least 2 decades. I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner

Inflation for hardware very much makes sense as the parts become more expensive to produce and MS and Sony sell for break even or loss. But SW not so much because the cost of production of the goods haven't really increased, at most the cost to develop increased but also sales have increased and profit as well, so price hike isn't really needed.

DonFerrari said:

Totally don't like and with prices at 60USD I already wait for most games to drop to 10-15 or even less for some games... with prices at 70 I'll only buy very few games at launch. And if Sony put more games on PC at launch I will just drop console gaming.

Worse yet is 2K saying their games like NBA is the ones that deserve 70USD price tag because they are more valuable... the games that drop faster than anything as soon as the roster change so in a year they go from 60 to 10. For me yearly games should be 60 for one copy and then at most 10 bucks to update the yearley roster and other details.

Up until XB Live, every (home console) game was the same price if you ignore the trade-in market.

Some games deserve to be x10-x10,000 more expensive than other games. Increasing RRP helps those games get the $$$ they deserve and punishes the games that don't deserve it.

I have to laugh at those who think there's just too many good games at $60 to warrant a price increase though.

Ka-pi96 said:
Pyro as Bill said:
Just out of interest, which option do people consider the least value/expensive?

A $60 game that's worth $10 after 12 months or a $100 game that's still worth (trade-in) $90, 5 years later?

This one's better value.

If I'm buying it day 1 then I'm probably never selling it, so lower initial price = better value. If I'm not buying it day 1 then I'll be getting it very cheap so whether I re-sell it later or keep it I'm not paying much out either way so lower discounted price = better value.

Day 1 = time preference.

I never said anything about day 1.

Minecraft was a one-man effort and he made a billion $$$.

Why do game devs have to be so greedy when a free game is enough is to make them a billion dollars each?

Ka-pi96 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Day 1 = time preference.

I never said anything about day 1.

You implied it though. If the price is $10 after 1 year then when exactly was it $60? Day 1, obviously

Besides, my whole point was that the $60/$10 option was better value regardless of time preference.

I purposely didn't but it's hard to come up with a scenario that excludes time preference in the entertainment industry given that cinema/movie theatres only exists because of it. Some people will pay $50 to watch a film at the cinema but won't play it again until it's free.

If you'd just passed your driving test, and there was car already on the market for 5 years that you really, really wanted but you knew it was gonna drop in price by 80% if you were willing to wait 3 weeks to 12 months, how long would you wait?