By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Dark Souls on Switch analysis

Tagged games:

Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

That's probably framepacing, they said frame drops are in intense sceens.

They also said: "30fps is still a consistent figure while running across Lordran" and "Unfortunately, there are more regular drops to the low 20s while playing in handheld mode - and a wyvern's fire blast or Queelag's lava shaders cue bigger drops than docked play. You get low 20fps readings in these cases, but outside of this, the frame-rate reading is surprisingly fixed to the 30fps line for general travel".

Yeah it probably is the framepacing then, hopefully they can fix it. Though as that article says dark souls 3 on PS4 also has framepacing issues, I'm guessing not.

Yeah, I dont think also that framerate will have some bigger improvements, best we can hope is fix for sound and A and B button replacement.



Around the Network
xl-klaudkil said:
Cool its portable but a prettt bad port.

So you look at a port of a PS360 game...see that it runs smoother (even in portable mode) than the original game...and at a higher native resolution when docked...and is just superior all around...yet you still go out of your way to call it a bad port?

 

Ok, now I always suspected you of having a personal vendetta of some sort against the Switch (or Nintendo in general for that matter), but this just pretty much confirms it lol.

 

Hard to take much you say seriously at this point.  I mean if you had at least mentioned the one inferior thing in your comment (audio, which may be patched), then I could believe you actually took time to read and digest the article.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

JRPGfan said:

Its getting compaired to the xb360 version, and your not blown away by how much better the Switch version is.
Am I the only one that thinks thats a issue? like its not great if your console is getting compaired to last gen consoles imo.

Lets be real and call it what it is for multiplats, a handheld that can output to your TV.  What makes it a home console is where Nintendo 1st party games come in, making it a hybrid.

 

No one with two consoles is going to buy for the Switch if they are not doing it for the portability, and being above and beyond last gen consoles make it one HELL of a system in that regard.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Looks like the switch is going the same way as Wii and wiiu on the software front. Extremely disappointing port



...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Shiken said:
xl-klaudkil said:
Cool its portable but a prettt bad port.

So you look at a port of a PS360 game...see that it runs smoother (even in portable mode) than the original game...and at a higher native resolution when docked...and is just superior all around...yet you still go out of your way to call it a bad port?

 

Ok, now I always suspected you of having a personal vendetta of some sort against the Switch (or Nintendo in general for that matter), but this just pretty much confirms it lol.

 

Hard to take much you say seriously at this point.  I mean if you had at least mentioned the one inferior thing in your comment (audio, which may be patched), then I could believe you actually took time to read and digest the article.

It's not really that unreasonable of him to say? People said the same thing about the PS4/Xbox One ports by the way. This is not just some crusade against Switch. People were complaining a shit ton about the other console ports. Switch is just the cherry on top. The PS4 version is only 7.3 GB. A lot of the effects in the game were taken most likely because of storage and not performance. A fog gate shouldn't affect performance. A glowing item pickup shouldn't effect performance. Hell, in most cases, better lighting for torches should not either. 

Honestly this is something Switch fans should be upset about too ... it's not just the console it's the devs jobs. 



Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Its getting compaired to the xb360 version, and your not blown away by how much better the Switch version is.
Am I the only one that thinks thats a issue? like its not great if your console is getting compaired to last gen consoles imo.

Games tend to be compared whenever they are on multiple platforms.

KLAMarine said:

The Switch isn't a console and the video is comparing different ports of a game, not consoles.

The Switch is a console.

Miyamotoo said:

That's probably framepacing, they said frame drops are in intense sceens.

They also said: "30fps is still a consistent figure while running across Lordran" and "Unfortunately, there are more regular drops to the low 20s while playing in handheld mode - and a wyvern's fire blast or Queelag's lava shaders cue bigger drops than docked play. You get low 20fps readings in these cases, but outside of this, the frame-rate reading is surprisingly fixed to the 30fps line for general travel".

To be fair... The original version also had terrible framerates/frame pacing in areas on even the most powerful PC's... They weren't resolved for the most part until the remaster, so there is likely some technical issues there.

Skeeuk said:
Looks like the switch is going the same way as Wii and wiiu on the software front. Extremely disappointing port

Expected with the hardware and form factor that Nintendo opted for though.
To be fair... Switch is doing far better than the WiiU.



--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Jumpin said:

I have been looking at this game, and am trying to figure out what about it people find so great. I know I am missing something, but it doesn't look like people are having fun with it in "let's plays," and the graphics are as bland as any game I have ever seen.

Now, I am not saying it's a bad game, but I am struggling to see why it is great. What are the big draws? Why are people excited to have this on Switch?
All I seem to be seeing is mediocrity, so far - and the fact that people are calling this a bad port makes it worse.

Souls are acquired taste. They are AA (at best) games that came in era of AAA handholding and gave people option to play something quite different - well at least to what was around at a time. My initial reaction to them was "This is like Severance: Blade of Darkness (PC, 2001), just easier and with worse combat". But they oozed with atmosphere and had great level design, so I kept playing them and liking them quite a bit (I'm the odd one that likes DS2 the most).



It's disappointing there are any downgrades at all, but that's not completely out of line with previous efforts. I heard Skyrim was great, but LA Noire definitely has its issues in portable mode and LCU as well. IIRC, there were some small downgrades in alpha effects in cutscenes in the Storm 3. That was in handheld mode. I rarely play docked.

Prioritizing performance and clean visuals was the right way to go though. If the downgrades were necessary to nearly lock as close to 30fps as possible so be it.

I'd guess they're just going to move on to the 2nd game after this.  



HoloDust said:
Jumpin said:

I have been looking at this game, and am trying to figure out what about it people find so great. I know I am missing something, but it doesn't look like people are having fun with it in "let's plays," and the graphics are as bland as any game I have ever seen.

Now, I am not saying it's a bad game, but I am struggling to see why it is great. What are the big draws? Why are people excited to have this on Switch?
All I seem to be seeing is mediocrity, so far - and the fact that people are calling this a bad port makes it worse.

Souls are acquired taste. They are AA (at best) games that came in era of AAA handholding and gave people option to play something quite different - well at least to what was around at a time. My initial reaction to them was "This is like Severance: Blade of Darkness (PC, 2001), just easier and with worse combat". But they oozed with atmosphere and had great level design, so I kept playing them and liking them quite a bit (I'm the odd one that likes DS2 the most).

Yeah, the handholding puts me off in most AAA-games. Games today assume I'm retarded. Souls games are different in that regard. They ask for patience. Players rushing in and expecting fast results will be disappointed, even frustrated. Patient players looking for enemy patterns, , checking the surroundings and so on will have a good experience though.



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

So clearly a cheap port focussed on minimizing file size to a frankly unnecessary degree, but yet another demonstration that despite being handheld tech the Switch significantly outguns PS3/360 graphically.

1080p and 30fps the majority of the time while docked, with drops to 900p in demanding later areas and the 20s in heavy action scenes, compared to sub-HD and catastrophic drops to near the 10fps mark on last gen systems. Even in portable mode resolution and framerate outstrip PS3/360.

Far from the best port on Switch, but not terrible either.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)