By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Dark Souls on Switch analysis

Tagged games:

Jumpin said:

I have been looking at this game, and am trying to figure out what about it people find so great. I know I am missing something, but it doesn't look like people are having fun with it in "let's plays," and the graphics are as bland as any game I have ever seen.

Now, I am not saying it's a bad game, but I am struggling to see why it is great. What are the big draws? Why are people excited to have this on Switch?
All I seem to be seeing is mediocrity, so far - and the fact that people are calling this a bad port makes it worse.

I wish I could reply to you something that's sufficient, informative, and also not fan-boyish... but I'm busy today and a tad on the clock, so my leisure is limited. I wish I could magically make you interested in the game but, alas, I can't. It would take me all day to talk about the ins-and-outs of the game and why it is such attractive software.  Even more time to make it coherent. It's tied for my favorite game of all time. It means a lot to me.

And also, this isn't really something that should be asked in a technical thread about port qualities  

Around the Network

Wah, Blighttown on 360 dropped down to 10fps? How was that bearable?

EDIT: And they catch the worst issue on Switch - this mindboggling mapping of A and B button for accept and cancel. To make things worse I can remap almost anything - but not this. Hopefully they add configurability for this in a patch.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 21 October 2018

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

It made it easier to dodge poison darts

Not a bad version of dark souls and very cool for portability, but ultimately a really disappointing and barebones effort when you consider it was delayed several months. And the audio compression is inexcusable, the game could have easily fit on an 8GB cart without this but nope, got to cheap out and go for that 4GB. Especially annoying when it is a documented fact that 8GB carts cost the same as or slightly less to bring to stores than a PS4 bluray. So they literally set out determined to spend less money in every way on the Switch.

Barkley said:
As they mention handheld drops into low twenty's which made me not want to play, or maybe it was the framepacing, either way I think it need some improvement. Sounds like FPS is better docked.

Like they said, majority of time games runs at 30 FPS, but in more intense scenes go to middle twenty's (not low). Game is more than playable.

Around the Network

Its OK port, but that sound and changed A and B buttons are very strange and bad problems, hopefully they will patch that.

Miyamotoo said:
Barkley said:
As they mention handheld drops into low twenty's which made me not want to play, or maybe it was the framepacing, either way I think it need some improvement. Sounds like FPS is better docked.

Like they said, majority of time games runs at 30 FPS, but in more intense scenes go to middle twenty's (not low). Game is more than playable.

In the starting area I had framerate drops... When there were no enemies on screen. Didn't play more than 20 minutes. I admit I'm more sensitive to these things than most. Only rented it because I wasn't sure I'd like the game anyway, regardless of performance.

Also they say in the article: "Unfortunately, there are more regular drops to the low 20s while playing in handheld mode" so yeah low 20's. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-dark-souls-remastered-switch-analysis

I'm sure for most people it is more than playable, for me though it's handheld performance put me off.

Mnementh said:

EDIT: And they catch the worst issue on Switch - this mindboggling mapping of A and B button for accept and cancel. To make things worse I can remap almost anything - but not this. Hopefully they add configurability for this in a patch.

Yeah the A/B thing really confused me. Like I get it that it's the same button placement as other consoles, but it should be consistent with the console it's on!

Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

In the starting area I had framerate drops... When there were no enemies on screen. Didn't play more than 20 minutes. I admit I'm more sensitive to these things than most. Only rented it because I wasn't sure I'd like the game anyway, regardless of performance.

Also they say in the article: "Unfortunately, there are more regular drops to the low 20s while playing in handheld mode" so yeah low 20's.

I'm sure for most people it is more than playable, for me though it's handheld performance put me off.

That's probably framepacing, they said frame drops are in intense sceens.

They also said: "30fps is still a consistent figure while running across Lordran" and "Unfortunately, there are more regular drops to the low 20s while playing in handheld mode - and a wyvern's fire blast or Queelag's lava shaders cue bigger drops than docked play. You get low 20fps readings in these cases, but outside of this, the frame-rate reading is surprisingly fixed to the 30fps line for general travel".

Miyamotoo said:
Barkley said:

Also they say in the article: "Unfortunately, there are more regular drops to the low 20s while playing in handheld mode" so yeah low 20's.

That's probably framepacing, they said frame drops are in intense sceens.

They also said: "30fps is still a consistent figure while running across Lordran" and "Unfortunately, there are more regular drops to the low 20s while playing in handheld mode - and a wyvern's fire blast or Queelag's lava shaders cue bigger drops than docked play. You get low 20fps readings in these cases, but outside of this, the frame-rate reading is surprisingly fixed to the 30fps line for general travel".

Yeah it probably is the framepacing then, hopefully they can fix it. Though as that article says dark souls 3 on PS4 also has framepacing issues, I'm guessing not.