By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Dark Souls on Switch analysis

Tagged games:

After reflecting a bit and watching a youtube video by Nintendo Prime, I now have mixed feeling about this port. Ultimately this is more of an HD 360 port than a remaster as there are just as many downgrades as there are uprades, so yeah, sorry to anyone I attacked that said this game was a bad port. The Switch can easily handle more than this.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Jumpin said:

I have been looking at this game, and am trying to figure out what about it people find so great. I know I am missing something, but it doesn't look like people are having fun with it in "let's plays," and the graphics are as bland as any game I have ever seen.

Now, I am not saying it's a bad game, but I am struggling to see why it is great. What are the big draws? Why are people excited to have this on Switch?
All I seem to be seeing is mediocrity, so far - and the fact that people are calling this a bad port makes it worse.

I wish I could reply to you something that's sufficient, informative, and also not fan-boyish... but I'm busy today and a tad on the clock, so my leisure is limited. I wish I could magically make you interested in the game but, alas, I can't. It would take me all day to talk about the ins-and-outs of the game and why it is such attractive software.  Even more time to make it coherent. It's tied for my favorite game of all time. It means a lot to me.

And also, this isn't really something that should be asked in a technical thread about port qualities  

Haha, true. Definitely not the appropriate thread, but I figured the topic was close enough and don’t think my side question would derail.

Perhaps I really just need to play it.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 21 October 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

HoloDust said:
Jumpin said:

I have been looking at this game, and am trying to figure out what about it people find so great. I know I am missing something, but it doesn't look like people are having fun with it in "let's plays," and the graphics are as bland as any game I have ever seen.

Now, I am not saying it's a bad game, but I am struggling to see why it is great. What are the big draws? Why are people excited to have this on Switch?
All I seem to be seeing is mediocrity, so far - and the fact that people are calling this a bad port makes it worse.

Souls are acquired taste. They are AA (at best) games that came in era of AAA handholding and gave people option to play something quite different - well at least to what was around at a time. My initial reaction to them was "This is like Severance: Blade of Darkness (PC, 2001), just easier and with worse combat". But they oozed with atmosphere and had great level design, so I kept playing them and liking them quite a bit (I'm the odd one that likes DS2 the most).

It’s alright, I am generally not a fan of the AAA market - where games are designed by market researchers and lawyer producers instead of true artists. As I said above, I probably need to stop watching it and start playing - it’s kind of like how when I was trying to explain why Fire Emblem was so awesome even though to some people it looked like crap and the idea of losing a character forever on death made them cringe (for me, I liked the permadeath FE games because it made me respect the consequences of the actions I was making, and the characters who would die for my mistakes).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

man these ports from 3rd party multiplats are not motivating. good thing i bought a switch as my secondary system for those exclusive gems

Sounds like a good port. Sits inbetween the 360/PS3 and XB1/PS4.

Around the Network

They couldn't do a proper port on PC so I'm gonna assume the issues are not just Switch's alone.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Biggest problems are weak sound and A and B button configurations, things that could easily be fixed with patch, other than that, its a good port.

So, they got free publicity from the Nintendo Direct it was announced on, delayed the game by months, cheaped out and opted to use the 4GB cart (degraded assets and sound), didn't even bother to UI / UX check the game (A/B swapping come on) and they ask for my money? Yeah typical Japanese third party this gen.

Guys this is a good port not a bad port, surprisingly it did beat xbox 360 in handheld mode, it's has slightly higher resolution and better framerate. Some graphics effects are worse though.

But I wonder who wanna play this game now? It's old.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

From the summary seems like a competent port with compromises made to fit the bill of Switch. Perhaps playing it portable won't be a good experience, but docked it is at least on par with PS3/X360 and this game was loved back them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."