By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Sony or MS capable of creating a cultural phenomenon like Pokemon Go?

Are they?

No, only Nintendo with Pokemon. 328 78.47%

Yes, Sony with __________. 61 14.59%

Yes, Microsoft with____________. 29 6.94%

Total:418
GOWTLOZ said:
bunchanumbers said:
Nope. Taking over the world like this is a Nintendo thing. The twins can't do it because it requires appealing to everyone and being willing to take a risk.

There is no risk in Pokemon Go. It has a small budget and uses the Pokemon IP.

Risk would be like having AAA games that have never been done before and where there is a likelihood that the investment wouldn't be worth it like Gran Turismo, God of War and Halo were. Sony also takes a lot of risks with new games with big budgets that are targetting an audience which may not be there.

Nintendo has taken risks in the past, but Pokemon Go is not one of them.

Nintendo took the risks in the 90s with red/blue. I don't get how Nintendo taking risks in the past doesn't count. Nintendo took the ultimate risk when they made a console after the great gaming crash when people thought it was foolish to do so.

Around the Network

Well both Sony and Microsoft need IP's that are more popular than the core gamer which neither currently owns! Minecraft is popular but it's not identified individually as Mario and Pokémon are, even though many claim Nintendo's IP are tired and lame. Well this is what you get with tired and lame IP''s, worldwide brand recognition...

Nintendo is a pretty special company to be honest. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but in the last 10 years they've

- Made a blockbuster video game about math problems

- Made a blockbuster video game that gets people off their feet and moving around

- Made a blockbuster video game about Fitness/exercise.

- Made a blockbuster video game app that encourages people to get out of the house and walk long distances.

Even though all of these things aren't for me, the fact that they're able to pull this off is remarkable. Sony/MS don't really have this ability IMO, which is no shame, no one really does, Nintendo is a very unique company.

Yes they can but it would be very unlikely. I think Nintendo got lucky to hit the levels they are with Pokemon GO but they have the franchises that have a far better chance of reaching a much wider audience which means they have a much better chance of hitting GO type of success.

If Nintendo can replicate GO's success with another game, that would be insane. But you can be sure that a Mario mobile game will shift a shit ton. I can't name a Sony franchise on the same level although MS do have Minecraft.

Isn't this the whole reason Microsoft bought Mojang/Minecraft?

Nothing else by Sony or Microsoft has ever been franchised so extensively as Pokemon...

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

Nope

Goodnightmoon said:
David_Hernandeez said:

At least Sony tried it xD

LOL

Goodnightmoon said:
kyprime said:

maybe not with their IPs, but they have a little thing called 3rd party, GTAV, COD BO3, nuff said, destroys everything nintendo

And that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, but good work looking salty.

Aren't you pushing it a bit?  No reason to call people salty or posting a reply with just lol to a "no one cares" tweet.  

Aeolus451 said:

Aren't you pushing it a bit?  No reason to call people salty or posting a reply with just lol to a "no one cares" tweet.  

Nah, I'm sure Goodnightmoon would be absolutely fine with someone saying "LOL" to someone making fun of nintendo.

Minecraft is popular with children, but I don't think children are behind the success of Pokémon Go. So I would say "no", neither Sony nor Microsoft have a franchise to get there.

Aeolus451 said:

I found funny that the answer had more likes than the tweet, nothing else.