By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Sony or MS capable of creating a cultural phenomenon like Pokemon Go?

Are they?

No, only Nintendo with Pokemon. 328 78.47%

Yes, Sony with __________. 61 14.59%

Yes, Microsoft with____________. 29 6.94%

Total:418

This game has been a huge success for Nintendo, no matter how you try to spin it as a small financial achievement but it's definitely putting Pokemon back in the mainstream 20 years after the smashing hit of the GB games. People of all ages and everywhere are playing this game, media outlets reporting on it, businesses taking advantage of the potential customers they can lure along many other things.

Can Sony or Microsoft ever get this kind of frenzy over any of their IPs?

Around the Network

Not really. Neither Sony nor MS possess a franchise as far reaching, and that maintains the same nostalgia value, as Pokemon.

No.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Yes, they are. In fact sony was great at doing similar things back in the Sony Playstation, less now a days (Not leveraging nostalgia, but creating cultural moments). Microsoft has strong brand called Minecraft that they can leverage to do similar thing if they wanted, the problem is, Microsoft like Mojang, are being lazy with the brand. (No Mod API)

is nintendo?

niantic did all the work of creating the genre before nintendo ever got involved.

Around the Network

No, nothing to this extent. This is something that surpasses sitting down and playing a game. If you can get people out and socializing with each other over a game that's barely even fully featured, you have something that can't be replicated. The Pokemon IP is huge, only rivaled by Call of Duty and Super Mario.

You have to remember that Microsoft has Minecraft, which is as strong as it's ever been and growing stronger all the time. It's the only IP that either Sony or MS holds that has any chance of doing something similar to Pokémon.

They just need to hit the right notes.

kitler53 said:
is nintendo?

niantic did all the work of creating the genre before nintendo ever got involved.

Kitler you and I know, Ingris is no where near the level of success as Pokemon is, and yes it would be Nintendo, you leverage the brand, and you can pick the partnership. I blame nintendo for Star Fox as well, even if it was made by Platinum Games. 

I highly doubt it. Enjoying Pokémon GO, collecting all the original 151 is nostalgia for me.

I doubt that this will ever get topped for a long time... Pokémon is one of the biggest brands in the whole world. Most of the people playing are the same kids who played back when it first came out and I think a lot of us are in it for the long run.